Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

HQ Elemental Staves : Order of Importance

My BLM is nearing 51 and I'm a real mage noob so I was wondering in what order should I buy the HQ staves? I have enough gil for a couple right away, but besides that I'll need to slowly pick away at the rest when I have the gil. So my question is which ones should I buy first, and in what order should I get the rest?

Re: HQ Elemental Staves : Order of Importance

You BLM is too gimp for HQ staves :Q

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Assuming you have every NQ staves (at least fire/ice/thunder/dark)

#1 ice
    #2 thunder
    #3 dark

Not really important after, but I would say fire since it's the 3rd strongest spell and very useful against undead (when thunder is down).

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Fire became useless when people stopped leveling in KRT. I havn't used it since then.

Ice/Thunder/Dark are top 3. The rest arn't really even needed, but as a completionist I have them all.

Thanks for the replies, I'll just get those three for now and then the other ones when I have spare gil lying around with nothing else to buy.

While you don't exactly need a HQ, make sure you get NQs of earth/wind/light. Even an NQ staff makes a huge difference for resist rate / potency were you ever in a position where you needed to debuff or cure.

(cue Kerberoz claiming that blms that use support spells are trash)

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Not Kuno
    Fire became useless when people stopped leveling in KRT. I havn't used it since then.

Ice/Thunder/Dark are top 3. The rest arn't really even needed, but as a completionist I have them all.
    Dunno about you, but I still fight a lot of undead between limbus/assault/random stuff. >_> Ice/thunder are probably used 96% of the times, and fire takes the remaining 4%

And it's not just for undead. A lot of mobs resist thunder and/or ice, and having 2 spells in your nuking cycles isn't bad. It's not as bad as it was with Ancient II, but still needed once in a while.

Id do

Ice > Thunder > Dark > Wind > Fire > (Earth(Only good if you kite or cast slow) > Water > Light

Tom Wilson will never be good.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zero Star
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

I happen to use Flood2 and Flare2 a decent amount~ If a mob is resistent to Thunder or Ice those are generally the next two spells I fall back on. For some reason my Flood2s seem to do more damage to Khim especially and then Flare2 for any Undead I fight. I sed to solo NW Apollyon and I am generally in when we manaburn it, so Fire spells get used a bit more.

I would still say the same as the others; Ice>Thunder>Dark, after that Wind>Fire/Water, Earth is w/e.. and the only reason I have light is because I have BLU. Ice is one of the best spells for leveling and one of the otp spells after. Thunder is the big 75 spell and Dark is huge for sleeping.

Wind is great for solo and Gravity, Kirin(if you don't TPburn it)/JoFaith and Fire/Water if you want to be a complete BLM. Earth/Light if you have extra gil to waste.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

You should do Vulcan's > Aquilo's > Auster's > Terra's > Jupiter's > Neptune's > Apollo's > Pluto's since that is the order they appear in on the AH and I am sure your planning on getting them all at once right?.. and you have to have 8/8 HQ staves or else your a gimp and people will always call you out for it should you ever post pics of your blm gear... you dont wanna be a gimp do you?!

Having RDM and BLM @ 75 I kinda need every HQ but Fire and Light.
    Might need to pick up an HQ Light for BRD soon though, as well as Repose on WHM...
    BLM mainly the big 3 HQs are Ice/Thunder/Dark like people have been saying.
    RDM the big ones are Ice/Dark/Earth/Wind. I sold my Vulcan's a while back... took me a few months to actually by back an NQ fire staff, rarely nuke fire if ever. HQ Fire is actually good to have while leveling though, but at 75 you don't need it much if at all.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

Ice -> Thunder -> Dark is probably the best way to prioritize them for a BLM, though if you like to solo a lot, I'd suggest you consider getting a Pluto's sooner.

you will almost never miss 5% damage during an exp scenario, but if sleep doesn't land usually it means you are fucked. get dark first, but aim to get them all.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

i think HQ fire deserves a bit more respect. @60 cap your going to be casting flare and 5% can make or break airshit. That and as i lvled i only bounced between thunder/blizzard/fire spells leaving the others for waist 99% of the time. Dark should be #1 imo though, sleep/drain/aspir save your ass more then any other spell.

For BLM

NQ: Ice > Dark > Thunder > Fire > Earth/Wind/Water > Light

HQ: Dark > Ice > Thunder > Fire/Earth/Wind/Water >>>>>> Light (still never bothered)

I agree with other people, but I (personally) got wind before fire. If you solo at all, gravity is a huge help and has a relatively long recast so it's worth using. Granted if there's a RDM around, they should be handling it, but if not silence is another one of those "oh shit--need to land it now" spells.

Then again, I'm rarely in situations where I need to fall back on fire spells.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I'm biased cause I also have RDM leveled so Auster's > Vulcan's was an obvious choice for me.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Seditedi
    Having RDM and BLM @ 75 I kinda need every HQ but Fire and Light.
    Can someone please explain to me why you need an HQ Water Staff? I so rarely cast Water, and Poison has a very low resist rate and it has a static duration and HP/tick. I suppose if you're casting Drown, maybe, but to me that's not worth Inventory -1. When casting Water, I substitute an HQ Ice for the +INT and +Elemental Skill. It's not quite as good as an HQ Water, but considering how often I cast Water....

Am I missing something? As RDM, I carry around 5 HQ, 2 NQ (Fire & Light) and no Water. I even frequently leave the Fire Staff at home....

between BRD RDM and BLM you basically have to have 8/8 vulcan's for stuff like ice threnody, etc...I still have NQ water though. Fuck poison.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Byrd
    Am I missing something? As RDM, I carry around 5 HQ, 2 NQ (Fire & Light) and no Water. I even frequently leave the Fire Staff at home....
    Personally I carry a NQ Water around just in case I need to cast Poison, but its never felt important enough to me to merit spending gil on the HQ. And I don't even own a fire staff, never saw the point.

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

Quote Originally Posted by theo
    Quote Originally Posted by Byrd
    Personally I carry a NQ Water around just in case I need to cast Poison, but its never felt important enough to me to merit spending gil on the HQ. And I don't even own a fire staff, never saw the point.
    I'm the opposite, I have a fire staff but no water. My fire staff lives in storage or something though, I occasionally actually put it in my inventory like every 2-3 weeks or so. (Totally forgot it in NW Apollyon yesterday and just used jupiter's cause I'm awesome)