Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
    TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Copying settings from one charactor to another

So I've been playing for a while, and I set up my main account to have just the right settings/chat colors/macros for what I want. But I also have an alt which I have recently started playing. Is there an easy way to copy over these settings? I figure there must be 'some' way of doing it, because I'm able to save my macros and settings when I re-install the game by saving some files...

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Re: Copying settings from one charactor to another

On the Character Select Screen, you can press Ctrl + Alt + Shift + B to Backup your files to C:\Program Files\PlayOnline\SquareEnix\PlayOnlineViewer\pub\h ome01\open\ContentsData\FinalFantasyXI (or whatever directories you might use for installation, that's just the path on my PC). After moving the files to the same directory in the new PC, you can press Ctrl + Alt + Shift + R to Restore those same files. Note that the ‘‘FinalFantasyXI’’ folder won't be created automatically after installation, unless you go to the character selection screen and Ctrl + Alt + Shift + B, and just replace the files after, or I guess you could just create it yourself. There should be 4 .dat files, each correspondent to the 4 sets of macros (press up/down after Ctrl + Alt + Shift + B to choose between sets A-D).

Also, it might be cool to mention that I have not tried doing this after the last update and the whole macro book thing.

EDIT: Wow, I just reread your question, and I don't think I answered it (I'm tired =/). I'll leave the info up just in case someone didn't know about all of this. Good night now.

New Merits
    BG Level

You should be able to go in the USER folder in your Final Fantasy XI folder under programs files, and copy everything in your character's folder over to your alts, I know that it has macro stored in there, but dunno if that's where everything else is stored too.

Jinroku
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mal'Ganis

Also has markers on maps, fount colours, etc.

Is there a way to figure out which USER folder corresponds to which character?

They're just random letter and number combinations.

The Dazzler
    BG Level

Believe they're in the order that they appear in when you log in. If you've logged into multiple accounts I dunno exactly what happens tbh.

With the macro book update, it's easy to tell wihch folder is the right one.

Go into macros, go into book 2 (or 3, or 4) and then scroll through some palettes.

Then log out and check the folders under USER for which one now has mcrXY.dat where XY is a 2 digit number.

X is the book. No number is book 1. 1 is book 2. 2 is book 3, so forth.
    Y is the macro palette. No number (mcr.dat) is palette 1 book 1. 1 is 2, 2 is 3, etc.

YOu don't need to put anything into the macros. Just scrolling through palettes, changing from palette 1 to palette 2 will create both files for that book.

The folder that has your newly created mcrXY.dat files is the one with your main character in it.

By the way, this also makes it easy to move macros around to other palettes.

Your WHM macros on palette 9 of book 1, and you want them on palette 1 of book 3? Rename mcr8.dat to mcr20.dat . Your macros are now on that palette.

I wish I had known that before I spent a whole day redoing all my macros after the update >.<!

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Is there a way to figure out which USER folder corresponds to which character?

They're just random letter and number combinations.
    Google Altana Cubby. It will allow you to glance into those user folders and see what particular items are in the inventory, etc, of the characters that pertain to those folders. I'm too lazy and tired to explain how it works any further, but it's a pretty simple and straightforward program. You'll find out which folder belongs to which character pretty quick. Other than that, I didn't even need Altana Cubby when I first found my own .dat folder. For me, I simply glanced through and figured that the folder with the most files in it was that of my main, and I was right.

Gl