BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

"red" HP/MP latent triggers

I know I've read something on this before, but I can't find it in search.

Do gear that trigger on red HP/MP (e.g. fencer's earring, ugg pendant) trigger only if you were already in the red when you perform the action, or can they trigger if such an action would put you there?

e.g. If you are above the MP threshhold for ugg pendant, but a spell you cast would take you below it, can ugg pendant kick in? Or must you already be below the threshhold for it to activate?

If you are above the HP threshhold for fencer's earring, but you get hit with a nuke that would put you in the red, can fencer's earring (-30% magic damage) kick in, or will it only kick in if you're already in the red when you get nuked?

Re: "red" HP/MP latent triggers

Ugga will proc on spell that puts you below half MP.
    I believe Sorcerer's Earring(-30% dmg taken) will proc if something were to one shot you, but never really tested. Guess I'll have to try it out on some cactuar or something.. lol

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

Medicine earring won't activate on anything that'll bring you past the latent, you have to meet the condition first before it can activate. Easy to test on cactuars. Presumably the other level 70 earrings work the same.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Seditedi
    Ugga will proc on spell that puts you below half MP.
    I believe Sorcerer's Earring(-30% dmg taken) will proc if something were to one shot you, but never really tested. Guess I'll have to try it out on some cactuar or something.. lol
    i remember brd/nin's using their* earring to not get one shot with shadows down. at least i always use this for non nuking gear praying it works like this.

New Merits
    BG Level

I haven't used Fencer earring, but I'm 99% sure it doesn't do a 2-step evaluation of the incoming damage. It just seems counterintuitive.

The reason Uggy works like it does is simply because your MP is deducted before your spell takes effect.

Kaeko
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

As someone who uses Sorcerer's Earring religiously, I can tell you you have to be in the proper HP before the hit to have it work

I also think it works similarly to Sorcerer's Ring. The "Low HP" you need does not take into account your Convert HP<>MP gear.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

I know some of the triggers are different on the rings. For example BLM ring will activate with yellow HP (roughly), but NIN you need a lot lower (in the red, I think).
    If you check each item on evil Wiki it probably have details for each one on there.
    Ugg pendent doesn't take into account MP gear so the spell needs to take you under 1/2 of your base MP, however it DOES take into account merits.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kaeko
    As someone who uses Sorcerer's Earring religiously, I can tell you you have to be in the proper HP before the hit to have it work

I also think it works similarly to Sorcerer's Ring. The "Low HP" you need does not take into account your Convert HP<>MP gear.
    Know how it works for Sorc Ring but what is the math for Earring?
    Like if I have 800 max hp, monster is about to hit me and next situations:
    199 hp, Sorcerer's Earring - will work always as I understand
    201 hp, wearing only Sorcerer's Earring - won't work any way?
    199 hp, Sorcerer's Earring and Zenith Mitts (750 max hp, but 50 taken from convert hp to mp) - will it still work?
    199 hp, Sorcerer's Earring and Penitent's Rope (780 max hp, -20 from rope) - won't work?
    202 hp, Sorcerer's Earring and Prism Cape (810 max hp, +10 from cape) - will work?

Quote Originally Posted by spooky
    If you check each item on evil Wiki it probably have details for each one on there.
    Ugg pendent doesn't take into account MP gear so the spell needs to take you under 1/2 of your base MP, however it DOES take into account merits.
    It does take into account +/-MP gear from "visible" gear, just not +/- from accessories, nor convert HP>MP gear in any slot. I wrote the latent description on the other wiki however long ago, and tried to make it as accurate as possible; there's also a more detailed exposition in a thread somewhere in this section. Parade Gorget follows pretty much the same rules for how gear affects it, if I remember right from when people were first getting it.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I use Bomb Queen Ring in my standing set on BLM because I think it raises the threshold for my Sorc. Earring... Ive never really tested it formally but I just like to assume it works<_ <. Just remember that if you are using a Sorc. Ring latent setup and you pop on your BQ ring you will probly go yellow and aggro all of Apollyon NW 1F at once.

Standing setups that do that aren't a very smart idea...

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Suiram
    It does take into account +/-MP gear from "visible" gear, just not +/- from accessories, nor convert HP>MP gear in any slot. I wrote the latent description on the other wiki however long ago, and tried to make it as accurate as possible; there's also a more detailed exposition in a thread somewhere in this section. Parade Gorget follows pretty much the same rules for how gear affects it, if I remember right from when people were first getting it.
    are you sure about the accessories / visible gear thing? I was under the impression that if you were wearing a +80 hp back piece (like gigant mantle) that you'd need to lose 20 more hp before the latent would trigger.

it seems counterintuitive that the same modifier on different pieces of gear would be affected by location, unless you think that all gear modifications are applied in layers (I suppose this is testable with +% mp gear)

Quote Originally Posted by Amele
    Quote Originally Posted by Suiram
    are you sure about the accessories / visible gear thing? I was under the impression that if you were wearing a +80 hp back piece (like gigant mantle) that you'd need to lose 20 more hp before the latent would trigger.

it seems counterintuitive that the same modifier on different pieces of gear would be affected by location, unless you think that all gear modifications are applied in layers (I suppose this is testable with +% mp gear)
    The visible gear thing defiantly works with Parade Gorget, but I am not sure in the pendant or ring case.

I know some of the triggers are different on the rings. For example BLM ring will activate with yellow HP (roughly), but NIN you need a lot lower (in the red, I think).
    The ring is yellow hp the earring is red hp

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

It's actually a pretty good idea as long as you aren't around a bunch of undead.

Kaeko
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn

It's actually a pretty good idea as long as you aren't around a bunch of undead.
    If you really get accustomed to using a standing setup, it becomes like second nature to revert back into the setup. Just my opinion, but if you end up with 2 standing setups - one around undead and one normal, you're asking to get blood aggro.

I guess if you're just really constantly on the ball with things and you know exactly where undead can and cannot pop (I know I would get confused in certain areas where it's mixed or turns night), this can work. I just think the risk is too great for a gain so minimal.

I have a standing setup, but one that would put you into yellow by adding max HP isn't that great of an idea, especially if you are a sorcerer's ring user.

Quote Originally Posted by Amele

Sorry that was in reference to Uggalepih Pendant latent. I'm not sure about the exact conditions for HP trigger ring/earring except that as others have said it ignores convert HP>MP gear at least. Pendant definitely ignores accessory gear, or at least it did a few months ago when I tested it.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Kaeko
    Quote Originally Posted by Acorn

If you really get accustomed to using a standing setup, it becomes like second nature to revert back into the setup. Just my opinion, but if you end up with 2 standing setups - one around undead and one normal, you're asking to get blood aggro.

I guess if you're just really constantly on the ball with things and you know exactly where undead can and cannot pop (I know I would get confused in certain areas where it's mixed or turns night), this can work. I just think the risk is too great for a gain so minimal.

Well it's just one macro (and yea, I hit it about 4-5 times after each action.. and sometimes I will press it while it's already on, I've become sorta OCD with my standing macro) , and since that one time in ApollyonNW 1F, I usually just leave the BQ behind if I'm going somewhere blood aggro might be a problem.

It is fun to have though and it makes me feel safer when I'm using it. It has saved me once or twice.

However, the BQ ring does have many more disadvantages than advantages... an example: some mage sees you @60% HP and spends his last drop of MP to cure 4 you... only for you to shit all that HP away next time you nuke.

I agree with both of you that it is not worth the risk. I am not recommending BQ ring to anyone. I'm only saying that I sometimes use it because it makes me feel special \:D/ (and in certain situations it provides minimal gain, and this game is built around minimal gains. Blm is a very good example of that).

Jelly Ring might be a better choice (if you don't use it already).