Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Is there any way to make the dunes less painful?

I decided I would try my hand at dancer recently. I had fun playing it during Fanfest, and wanted to give it a shot before it is nerfed(I can see it coming...). However, most people seem to be subbing nin, and I had already sold my scrolls for some quick cash. Solution? Bring out my poor alt who had at some point turned into a mule. Now, in order to level Dancer, I needed to level Ninja. In order to level Ninja, I needed to level Warrior. So, I started as a warrior. The first 10 levels were just like every other first 10 levels, slow and painful. But I got though them. Time to go party and not die so much was the thought in my head...

I forgot how much I hate the dunes. It seems like there is a perminant -10 int for everyone who even zones in. Normal people play like morons in the dunes. I even feel stupid in the dunes. I could tell you how I forgot to actually voke, since I've never played a tank before, but I digress... the whole ordeal is just something I want to be able to skip.

I want to skip the first few levels of the dunes. Is this possible? I figure I can go solo, but soloing is painful... where would the best place to solo outside of Valkurm be? Kon<tab>? Is being stuck in a retarded party better than soloing? What do most of you do when you get stuck at the low levels? And if you skip the first part, what level do you go to the dunes? Is there any way to make the dunes less painful?

Yes, I realize I posted this in the advanced player forum, but I figured since I wasn't a 'noob'(75 Summoner atleast lets me say this), and I wanted to skip the 'noob' thing to do... well if my logic is flawed, concider this an advanced appology.

-Tarage

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Re: Is there any way to make the dunes less painful?

I consider myself a very lenient mod but there is no way this is advanced discussion. Moving to newbie section before people start complaining.

Solo to 20. /thread

what the hell is "dunes"?

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quit being asses. If you're not gonna help then just don't say anything.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Above Level 10...to maybe around 14...

A) Search a Dungeon Area which lots of pops where you dont have to run around looking for shit like LaTheine - KRT or Horutoto work

B) Kill off EP and DC rapidly

This gives you better exp at low levels than shooting for high single exp numbers. You should barely have to rest while tearing the enemies appart.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Solo, seriously.

Meat Jerky, don't need Selbina Milk with DNC, and go kill everything in Dangruf like 9-13, then go kill Worms and stuff near Gusgen Mines till 15, then kill Sheep and Bees there until 17, then just kill eveything there, or the Lizards and lower Gobs in the Dunes.

Much faster than nub PTs, and if you kill Sheep and Bees you can craft Sheep Wool and sell it, make a little cash.

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Thanks for the advice, and section move.

I would like to point out, however, that I am not a new player, just so no one gets confused. >_>

Also, is there a reason why my Mithra War should be missing so much? It just feels like she is missing entirly too often... then again this is my first melee/tank...

I normally solo to 27 then pt on mandys

Everyone misses that much at that level, although you likely miss -slightly- less than others, with your normally high dex.

At 14 you can get help for it in the form of Vision Ring. Get one along with a Mighty Ring. I use them religiously, every melee job, til 35 and the venerer/jaeger combo.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I hate soloing the Lizards in Dangruf early levels (but I always do...). I die at least 2-3 times while petrified or from their poison that lasts for 15 minutes after it dies. No poisona = ARGH

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Maze and Buburimu are nice substitutes for Valkurm.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Loads of worms outside North Gustaburg [s] = Tough or Even Match at 11 and you can get regen/refresh from sigil. So they should take you to 13.

Lostbane
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mexi Lostbane
    FFXIV Server
    Siren
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

First off, sub something that makes you hit harder. WAR or MNK even on a mage job. Use food - jerky or rice dumplings and selbina milk. The milk is mostly so you can survive dia/poison/bio.

1-5ish - Zeruhn mines in a very short time

From there I tend to go up Vomp hill outside Bastok markets for a while and then down to Fumeroles.

I know a friend who solos far more than me and he lives in Palborough mines, taking the boat back to Bastok when he's done.

You can do it - I would do it. I soloed DRK for example to 15... I get more xp solo in the Highlands than joining a bad party in the dunes, at least to 15.

Maze of Shakrami is supposed to be good in the teens too. Duos and trios are the way to go though to stop yourself going insane, grab a sensible friend with a job around the same level.

These days I try and make sure I have 1-2 shell friends with me, especially when xping in parties, just so that we can bitch and moan together in shell :D. Seriously though, if 2-3 peeps have a clue then others tend to calm down.

Qufim is... odd. Peeps seem to turn up in as bad if not worse gear for Qufim than they do in the dunes. I had some good parties on THF there recently but some crap parties on almost all other jobs.

If you solo/duo - make sure you don't gimp yourself on gear, it really shows. Keep the armour decent and the weapon current. And food makes all the difference.

Atlasion

Just get really drunk and solo whilst seeking a party in the dunes.

Always worked for me.

Banned.

BG Level

Korrokola Tunnel. Maze of Shakrami. Buburimu Penisula. Carpenter's Landing.

All areas similar(and superior) to dunes.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Gregorio
    I hate soloing the Lizards in Dangruf early levels (but I always do...). I die at least 2-3 times while petrified or from their poison that lasts for 15 minutes after it dies. No poisona = ARGH
    As for petri noothing you can do, but I always carry a stack of Antidote with me for just such situation. At ~300 gil each they are very handy to have.

Edit: Submission error erased my text.

Shakhrami and Korroloka. My friends and I have tried to devise a way to level on worms as much as possible . It's the only way to fly.

Oh, and you don't need a real group. Get a couple of rangers or summoners (or any job with decent ranged attacks subbed RNG), maybe one healer, and just go. Bloody bolts are a plus if no healers are around.

Habitatt Hasher
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyra Ravenlocke
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

You can also kills worms in shakrami fairly quickly using only DoT spells.

If such a thing suits your fancy.

Zoot

Try not to level a new job on your own if it's a job that doesn't do well solo. Never believe the standard linear progression of zones you should level at myth. Until about level 15, I usually solo on EP mobs. You die alot less frequently and gather more seals. Use stacks of selbina milk to help speed up the process.

Find one or two friends, form a semi static or duo and trio. Korroloka and Shakrami really are much better options than the dunes. And depending on the job, you could even solo.

Also, that worms outside of Grauburg thing sounds tastey.