Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
    Relic Shield
    BG Level

what's it like to level now?

i haven't played since 2005. have they lowered the xp per level? have they made it easier to solo DC/EM mobs at higher levels? is it feasible to solo to 75, and if so, with which jobs?

i'd like to try out some of the new jobs like blu, dnc, etc. what level would i have to get a normal job to before i could try unlocking them (solo) and stuff?

also, would anyone recommend a certain server as better for people starting out? (good economy, more likely to have low level people to play with, etc).

i'm still considering coming back to the game and starting a new character. considering i'm quite busy irl and only want to play casually, should i bother with ffxi, or should i just get a nintendo wii instead?

give me the game info and tell me your own opinion, plz, much appreciated, thank you

p.s. anyone wanna adopt me as a newb if I do decide to come back, and get me a world code or whatever it's called and then help me out with stuff every once in a while?

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Re: what's it like to level now?

Aht Urghan expansion made it much easier to get to 75. But soloing exp still isn't all that great unless you're BLM, BST, or maybe BLU on monster pets.

You'd be fine unlocking all the new jobs at 30 with a little sneak and invis.

SE's been adding a lot more things to do casually lately, but it's still going to take a lot of time to get anything done. It's getting hard to find parties anywhere below 70 because most of the people are already 75, but there are people still leveling, and you'll find a pt eventually. With the new WotG, SE finally added exp rewards (100exp per) to quests, and Campaign is there to give you a nice bit of exp when ever you feel like it.

I would at least give it a try. I 'quit' over a year ago, but then started logging on again a few times a month in like May just to say hey to my old ls. And things started rolling, and I'm playing again today in full force.

EDIT - With the new Dancer and Scholar, I'm betting that it is definitely possible to trio/quad(?) yourself to a pretty high level if you can find a nice group of people.

Banned.

BG Level

Fucking shit, my post got eaten by the internet ether ><

1.- No lowered xp. Signet gives bonus but "easier" is still job/gear/mob dependant.
    2.- Yes you can solo to 75 on BLU, BST, BLM for sure. (still need to level subjobs though) I have read around here you can do anything/BST75 but my BST is 19 so...
    3.- The gap 55ish - 70 will suck no matter which job you do, parties suck, xp gap is big, solo camps are crowded and/or a pain in the ass to get to, dying (which will happen, Is certainly not fun)

4.- I believe BLU, COR, PUP need you to have a job 30+ to unlock, no idea about DNC, SCH.

5.- I would go to the server with most population if you want to find plenty of people, which might not be too good if you plan on leveling a melee job and end up being the 500th THF LFP at any given time.

6.- IMO you are better off getting a Wii / 360 / PS3 since no matter what, you still need to invest quite some time playing FFXI to get shit done.

P.S. The game still has awesome moments you ultimately you will have to get help to get subjob items <.<, Missions, quests, items.

Or you could buy a cheap acct. and save yourself the hassle of subjob and shit, and just unlock DNC or something. I think this is fucking stupid (the spending more money part), but it is an option regardless of moral values or w/e.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

They did lower the exp per level in April of '05 - was definitely needed even though there were plenty of people whining about making it 'too easy' for the newbies.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

does anyone know which server(s) might be particularly newb friendly? or which ones to avoid?

new players seem to pop up on every server and they usually don't have too hard of a time getting missions and stuff done so they can do the fun events. I'd say go with a low pop. server at your timezone. have you called pol, maybe you could get joft back w/ a return to vana'diel thingies.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

o i'll try that, thanks. but I'm not sure if the char is deleted or still exists and someone else owns it. does anyone know what happened to joft? last I heard Murdoc had given it to a friend. but I have no way of contacting Murdoc.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Oh wow, never saw a Joft post coming.

I haven't seen your character around Bahamut for god knows how long, last I saw it was over a year ago PLing Murdoc. As far as servers, every server is pretty much the same thing now, you won't come across any "non-newb friendly" ones. You could prolly pop back on Bahamut and you'd see a few familiar faces or you could just close your eyes and pick one.

Quote Originally Posted by Avé
    It's getting hard to find parties anywhere below 70 because most of the people are already 75, but there are people still leveling, and you'll find a pt eventually.
    I dont know why people keep saying that, on my server Asura the sub 70 levels are PACKED with parties. I never had to wait more than 10 mins to find one. And you can usually form a party easily too as there are always a bunch people your level looking to group. To be honest, ffxi is probably the easiest mmorpg to find a group and get going...compared to games like everquest and LOTRO.

Now with the wog expansion, the low levels are literally flooded with people, in dune/q island the problem is not find a party but to find a mob to kill.