+ Reply to Thread
    Relic Shield
    BG Level

Didn't see this one coming

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/s ... TopStories

Cliff notes:

-There was an agreement that refugees could not seek asylum in Canada if they had first landed in the US- and vice versa.
    -Canadian Judge says US has not been compliant with the convention against torture(UN) act. (basically will not deport if it will result in torture or execution of individual)
    -Canada can no longer send refugees back to the United States because it "is not safe"

Personally I think this is crazy and unfair. Also the Arar case they are using as an example is basically: a syrian-canadian stopped in the US (based on not credible information), shipped to Syria, tortured, brought back to Canada, found innocent of all charges.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Re: Didn't see this one coming

Canada is getting big headed with their Dollar I think. You can't live without us mother fuckers.

(Man. When Canada turns their back on us, something is very, very wrong.)

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by sephir
    -Canadian Judge says US has not been compliant with the convention against torture(UN) act. (basically will not deport if it will result in torture or execution of individual)
    So does this mean if a serial killer managed to escape into Canada, then Canada could not deport her back to the US because we'd execute her?

Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by senoska
    Canada is getting big headed with their Dollar I think. You can't live without us mother fuckers.

Do you expect me to put out the candles on my Loonie shrine?

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Khamsin
    Quote Originally Posted by sephir
    So does this mean if a serial killer managed to escape into Canada, then Canada could not deport her back to the US because we'd execute her?
    The act only relates to refugees, so I think we'd deport back to the US in that case.

Quote Originally Posted by Blarg

You have a Loonie shrine?

Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kiro
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg

You have a Loonie shrine?
    Of course, its right next to my Toonie shrine, which not so coincidentally is twice as large as the Loonie shrine.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Canada will not deport anyone back to the U.S if the U.S will execute them.
    That law has been in effect for a couple of years now(they even did an episode on Law and Order about it) Im not sure if you have to be canadian though or if it was anyone...

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyb
    Canada will not deport anyone back to the U.S if the U.S will execute them.
    That law has been in effect for a couple of years now(they even did an episode on Law and Order about it) Im not sure if you have to be canadian though or if it was anyone...
    That's alright, Canada can have all our serial killers and mass murderers if they want.

Demosthenes11

lolcanada

Relic Horn
    BG Level

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extraditio ... ederations

In the case of Soering v. The United Kingdom, the European Court of Human Rights ruled that the United Kingdom was not permitted under its treaty obligations to extradite an individual to the United States, because the United States' federal government was constitutionally unable to offer binding assurances that the death penalty would not be sought in Virginia courts. Ultimately, the Commonwealth of Virginia itself had to offer assurances to the federal government, which passed those assurances on to the United Kingdom, which extradited the individual to the United States.
    To summarize, England refused to extradite someone to Virginia until Virginia promised the federal government that it wouldn't seek the death penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by Charla
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extradition#Extradition_to_federations

In the case of Soering v. The United Kingdom, the European Court of Human Rights ruled that the United Kingdom was not permitted under its treaty obligations to extradite an individual to the United States, because the United States' federal government was constitutionally unable to offer binding assurances that the death penalty would not be sought in Virginia courts. Ultimately, the Commonwealth of Virginia itself had to offer assurances to the federal government, which passed those assurances on to the United Kingdom, which extradited the individual to the United States.
    To summarize, England refused to extradite someone to Virginia until Virginia promised the federal government that it wouldn't seek the death penalty.
    Wasn't there some war a couple centuries ago in which a bunch of guys from Virginia decided that they can do what they want regardless of what some tea-sucking fairy from England thinks about it?

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Turambar

Wasn't there some war a couple centuries ago in which a bunch of guys from Virginia decided that they can do what they want regardless of what some tea-sucking fairy from England thinks about it?
    Well yeah, but they just burned down the White House and everyone sort of forgot about it.

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Turambar

Well yeah, but they just burned down the White House and everyone sort of forgot about it.
    Oh wow, that's a failure that can only be matched by the French.