Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
    Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Need help on Desperately Seeking Cephalopods

Hi, I did a search and couldn't find a direct strategy on this assault, and I don't want to zombie bump something that was long time ago so...

I am currently 50/51 and need this one last assault to get captain. We tried a couple time with 4 ppl and had no problem getting the direction from NPC. Ironically both time we got the NPC to tell us to go try the inlet to the east with like 15 mins left, and both time we searched the whole east side of the lake and got nothing. My question is, does any of you get this and found the NM? if so where did you fish up? I know it can say inlet to the north, or tell you to fish near a NPC, in that case it would be easier, but inlet to east? Does that mean fish to the east of the NPC? or does it mean to fish alongside the east part of the map (we did but nothing). I don't exactly see an inlet on the east side, just south and north, and we did tried the south one, which is a bit towards the east but found nothing.

Getting really frustrated. So if you know anything, please let on. Thank you.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Re: Need help on Desperately Seeking Cephalopods

Step One: Find an NPC.
    Step Two: Fish near said NPC until the message changes.
    Step Three: Find the happy NPC.
    Step Four: Fish near the happy NPC until their message changes to something more specific. (you CAN get the NM at this stage)
    Step Five: Fish in the NPC's indicated location.

If the mob you fish up isn't one of the first 2-3 mobs, you're fishing in the wrong place. Both times we did this, the first mob fished up in the correct location was the NM. My only suggestion is that if you don't get it immediately, you need to switch locations. We failed once because we mis-interpreted one of the NPC's clues and kept fishing in the wrong spot. (The far east one told us to fish in the inlet "across from her," the inlet across from her apparently was not the one on the entire opposite side of the map, but the one immediately adjacent).

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Ahhh.... so it is actually on that little island thing. Yea, we did move around, but we moved around the whole east part of the map lol. So yea, we switched about 5-6 spots but all no good and time ran out. I will keep that in mind, interpretation of NPC's word is probably the most important part. Thank you.

Tom Wilson will never be good.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zero Star
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

The area to fish for the NM is never too far from the NPC. If they say east, it's not east on the other side of the map but just a bit east from the NPC. Best thing to do is have your fishers spread out a bit once you found a general direction. Some NPCs don't even give a good direction, so you just need to walk a bit away from them and try.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Byrd
    If the mob you fish up isn't one of the first 2-3 mobs, you're fishing in the wrong place. Both times we did this, the first mob fished up in the correct location was the NM. My only suggestion is that if you don't get it immediately, you need to switch locations.
    It is always fairly close to the NPC that gives the location, but even if you're in the right spot, it can take ~20 tries to get the NM. We had people spread out on the right spot fishing like mad only to pull up the NM in the last 20s one time. It's just luck. Even if you do everything perfectly, you can still fail this one because the NM won't fish up when it should.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Went to try this one again last night with 4. This time a bit unlucky as we fished up like 3 krakens during the first 10 mobs. Got the NPC to say "it is all the way to the north inlet" (something with my group and inlet...... seems to always get inlet direction..) with about 12 mins left. So we fished the whole north part of the map, you know that little arrow part of the lake pointing toward north. So after about 5 or 6 regular mobs and about to give up, boom NM popped at the north most possible fishing spot on the left side of that arrow with 5 mins left. Kill it with 1 min left (alot of HP), and took about 50 sec to get back to the NPC (since we came from all the way north, the person has the movement speed boots else we would fail) and won it with 4 sec left.... Great fun and I can tell you I will never do this one again.... way too random... They really should make the NM pop 100% if you are at the right spot or grid.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Finally got my captain btw. Thank you for all the help.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless
    Finally got my captain btw. Thank you for all the help.
    Congratulations. Sorry about the possible misinformation that it popped shortly after beginning fishing in the right spot; that was what all my experience and what little second hand information I had all confirmed. Regardless, congratulations and I, too, will never do this Assault again.