Thread: Nyzul lotting rules     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Winter Sky
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

Nyzul lotting rules

Here's a quick question to other players who run Nyzul Assault groups.

My group just defeated floor 80 last night (Cerb was kinda being a PITA, but we still dropped him in 4 min without a bard), and askar body dropped. one of the players who has already received Denali feet lotted and won it (3 out of our 6 had NOT won a piece before), not to mention he's probably not even merited enough to be able to full-time that piece >.>

i was hoping to avoid having any rules other than declaring before the run which set you were going to lot if it drops, but it appears this isn't going to be fair enough.

what do other groups do? points system, or do you just say that once one person wins that they cannot lot again until other people have received something?

23 years old
    Rating: total douchebag

BG Level

Re: Nyzul lotting rules

So what you're saying is you dont have the gear in your sig?

Edit: Never really had that issue seeing as how we stuck it out for the actual static members' crap, everyone had their body pieces before we went up to 100. Sticking with 100 before we go back and get extras.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Winter Sky
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

no ryko, i had the sig made as my incentive to start a nyzul group - i have everything in the sig besides askar body (even the hachiman jinpachi, although it's rotting somewhere in my mog house from disuse)

any real answers?

Edit to your edit: I do indeed intend to farm nyzul until everyone in the group gets every (or close to every) piece they need and can use, but with my current lack of a system it's possible that one person will have -everything- they need before some members get a single piece due to random luck. i just want to be fair to my people, it's a really good group.

Get rid of the greedy people in your group?
    Just kidding, but seriously just have people choose a set they want to lot and restrict them to that.
    Repeat 20,40,60,80 until people have what they want.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Winter Sky
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

i considered that, but everyone has multiple sets needed (some can wear all 3) and currently the way that lots are looking, even confining everyone to one set is going to put 4 ppl on askar, 2 on denali, and zip for goliard... and it still doesn't solve the problem of shitty lots screwing people out of any gear for possibly months.

Quote Originally Posted by Seditedi
    Repeat 20,40,60,80 until people have what they want.
    If I'm understanding you correctly, this is the way to do it. Start farming lvl 20 stuff, till everyone has their feet. Then move up and farm 40 till everyone has their legs. Repeat till all heads are aquired then wipe disk and hope item drops that discholder wants. This way everyone can free lot, but nobody will get a full set before others get anything based on shitty lots.

Also you can consider just getting non-greedy people that will actually pass for others if they got an item previously.

New Merits
    BG Level

I record each member's wishlist of up to 5 items (any mix and match of sets). Then we target the boss corresponding to the most wishlist items. Once we fulfill everyone's list we may repeat the process but the point is that anything a member wants beyond those 5 items will need to either come from free lots or wait until then--they won't have any voice in selecting bosses until everyone's first list is fulfilled.

When an armor drops, people whose wish list contains it will lot. We tend to pass to members who have are still at one or no items yet--not by a strict rule, just general comradery. The sort of people who lack this basic sensitivity are often the ones who vanish after they get their loot, so be careful. :[

If I'm understanding you correctly, this is the way to do it. Start farming lvl 20 stuff, till everyone has their feet. Then move up and farm 40 till everyone has their legs. Repeat till all heads are aquired then wipe disk and hope item drops that discholder wants.
    We do it differently. We focused on getting two discs up to 80F so we could farm armor without running into any token shortages.

We haven't tackled 100F yet, but as I understand it then runic key is a bad, bad item since it removes the randomness from the boss's weapon drop. Our disc holders are pretty much stuck as THF and PLD respectively so anyone interested in a different weapon (whatever they do) is out of luck. Not to mention building a new disk costs at least 15 tags of no-boss runs.

New Merits
    BG Level

We don't have a strict priority system in our Nyzul group, but when we first started I asked each member to 1) rate each piece of Nyzul gear on a numeric scale according to how much they want it, and 2) list their top 3 "most wanted" items in order. This gave me a pretty good idea of what order people should be getting each piece in, as well as which floors we should focus more time on because of higher demand. Not surprisingly, the demand for armor from different floors went 20 -> 80 -> 100 -> 40 -> 60.

The only rule we have that's set in stone is that people who have a 75 job that can use an item have higher priority than anyone who doesn't. Beyond that, if an item drops and is on Person A's top-3 list and it isn't on Person B's, the general concensus in the group is to let Person A get the first one. If both or neither people have the item on their top-3 list but have a job that can use it, we typically free-lot it and just resolve to do that floor again soon and get another of the same piece to drop.

We've been doing Nyzul for awhile and are currently taking our 3rd disc to 100, and almost everyone in the group has their top 3 armor pieces now as well as a multitude of Nyzul weapons (and a lucky Peacock Charm appraisal). At this point our priority system has gone from "is this item on your top-3 list?" to "are you actually going to use this item, or just wear it around Whitegate?" .

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Loren
    We haven't tackled 100F yet, but as I understand it then runic key is a bad, bad item since it removes the randomness from the boss's weapon drop. Our disc holders are pretty much stuck as THF and PLD respectively so anyone interested in a different weapon (whatever they do) is out of luck. Not to mention building a new disk costs at least 15 tags of no-boss runs.
    There's no minimum level for Nyzul, to the best of my understanding. The person who starts the disc can be on any job, at any level. If they have a level 1 job that you need a weapon for, you're going to be doing the entire run with 5 people, but the odds of beating the run with 5 people seem greater than 1/18, which is the odds of the correct weapon dropping. And having someone standing at the Rune of Release full time (even if level 1) could save a minute or two a run anyway, floor dependent. We're going to go up a second time with someone whose 75 jobs can get about half the desired weapons, then just give it a shot with his lower jobs to finish out SAM, NIN and DRG.

Regarding lotting rules, I just had everyone pick a set of gear at the beginning of the static. We ended up with 2 Goliard, 3 Askar, 2 Denali (we have a 7th for an alternate); if your set drops, you can lot it. If nobody needs/wants a piece that dropped, if you have a 75 job that can use the gear and plan on using the piece, you can lot it. We farmed the shit out of 20, as the boots are good for everyone, are currently farming 80 pretty heavily, should beat our first floor 100 tonight, if all goes well.

at one time my group went by the "set" rule, where you had to choose one set as your main, but since my group went through some reconstruction, a couple people dropped out, we decided that our members can mix and match sets (so as not to screw over the older members who were still going for the same sets), but they have to choose 1 main item on each floor. If we start getting the same items on the same floor, people will lot them based off their secondary item choices. If a item drops only those with that as a main can lot. Secondaries cannot lot against mains.

Our runic disk holder is my mule in nyzle isle with TH4 who only moves us up to the next floor/cures us at the start/pokes the bosses. It is actually incredibly a great time saver. Running back to the start can be very time consuming in a large area especially if you aggroed a bunch of things and need a quick exit.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Once timed out and lost Dena feet.... because... one person had full inv and had the nerves to try sort inv with 10 seconds left on clock instead of simply fucking PASSing - greedy ppl are shit for nyzul...

My group basically just farms a floor till we all have what we want.

However the basic "rule" is you choose 1 of the 3 items per floor that you lot. Once everyone who chose that item has it, it becomes freelot for the rest.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xerlic Jilrak
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

My group is similar to Loren's. Our members make a wishlist of 3 items and rank their priority from 1 to 3. We then farm based on those priorities. It works out cuz most people have bodies or heads as their #1 and #2, so we usually do 1 floor 80 and 1 floor 100.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Aylin Celesse
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir
    WoW Realm
    Hellscream

So far my static only has access to 20 and 40, but right now we're farming for feet. Everyone prioritizes the items the want (1, 2, or 3). If you get your 1, your 2/3 doesn't get moved until everyone has their 1. Keeping a chart of what everyone wants in what order, and as things drop, it gets updated. So far we've gotten 3 Denali feet, and 1 Askar- only 2 of the Denali were actually wanted by people. XD We need a LOT of Goliard though...

Our Chart/Spreadsheet/Table-thing

we use to go by farming a floor the person with least number of items wants to farm. and then once they have move onto next person.

but since were loking towards floor 100 runs, we are polishing off bodies. and using the lower level farming runs as a means of having the two disk holders regain tokens lost on those 100 runs.

make a chart of items your regulars want.

farm the floors which most people want items from first.

drop goes to person who really really really wants first, then goes to person who has least number of items on thier list.

reserve the items as you go, if lucky youll start out with diferant people wanting diferant items. then you can reserve the drops accordingly. if your like us, all want askar body, just get farming. all will get eventualy.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I've recently restarted doing nyzul isle again, and this was a big issue for me wanting to be fair to everyone. After discussing this with my group, we decided the best way to do this was to pick a floor for drops, then just farm the shit out of it til everyone gets the piece that they want. In a perfect world this wouldn't take long to do, but since you can't control what drops, when it does drop, you will more than likely get some duplicates. But to address the OP's question, we are doing it similar to how most ls's do dynamis. You put it in your comment, if you can wear it, you can lot it. Then, to use me for example, after I get Askar body, I cannot lot another body unless its rot. That's to make sure that everyone gets at least 1 piece from each section, and that keeps everyone happy (hopefully).

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Go with a group of friends you can trust, that actually take pride in seeing everyone get gear other then themselves. When we started we selected a primary set, after the primaries get it, it can go to secondaries or even other ls members who swap in if we know that we dont need a certain piece.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Another thought... I realize that it's too late for the OP since they've already well into the process to implement a system now without discussion, but this is why I always establish the rule(s) for lotting well ahead of time, before the static even begins. Even amongst people who trust each other and aren't loot whores, drama can arise. Best to anticipate the problems ahead of time and address it ahead of time.

New Merits
    BG Level

Go with a group of friends you can trust, that actually take pride in seeing everyone get gear other then themselves.
    This is good advice for anything really.
    If you're gratified by seeing loyal friends earning fancy clothes, then FFXI will be much more fulfilling than if you grate your teeth every time you walk away empty handed.