BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

BLU gear and stuff

Dinged 54 BLU last night, and wanted advice on gear. This is what I currently wear.

Main & sub: Combat Caster's Scimitar +2 x2 (Musketeer Commander's Falchions x2 waiting for 55)
    Ammo: Fortune Egg
    Head: Emperor's Hairpin
    Neck: Peacock's Charm
    Earring: Beetle Earrings +1 (Upgrade to Spike Earrings at 55)
    Body: Circe's Doublet (Upgrade to Jaridah Peti at 55, upgrade to Scorpion Harness +1 at 57)
    Hands: Elder's Bracers (Upgrade to Dune Bracers at 62?)
    Rings: Sniper's Ringsx2 (or Sniper's Rings x2 when borrowing from main)
    Back: Jaguar Mantle (Upgrade to Amemet Mantle/+1 at 61)
    Waist: Swift Belt (Should use Life Belt for spells, will wait for Potent Belt at 60)
    Legs: Republican Subligar
    Feet: Leaping Boots

I am mostly concerned about ammo, head, hands, legs, and feet. Any suggestions? I am especially concerned about the MP on the Elder's/Dune Bracers on my poor MP-starved Galka.

Also for anyone who did Making a Mockery, what kind of drop rate should I expect for the leech Scimitar? (Horrible or really horrible?)

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Re: BLU gear and stuff

Mantra coin = 12mp. Optical needle = 1 acc. Those don't seem to bad. For ammo

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

http://ffxi.somepage.com/itemdb/8305 looks pretty nifty for BLU if you can get one.

Zoot

Rare assault gear on a mule not likely to happen; Voyager Sallet seems like more of a viable option to me!

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

Walkure/valkyrie mask for head (voyager sallet for spells if you can get hold of one), tiphia sting for ammo at 58, and there's nothing you can switch out in the leg slot as far as I can remember until 70ish. For feet, I don't think there's anything better for a while either.

Switch out hands for something else, max MP isn't very useful in exp for BLU. Not a whole lot you can get in that slot either, battle gloves give +3 acc, and gigas bracelets for spells. Also, I'm not sure I'd use a swift belt at that level, life belt might serve you better fulltime.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Tricen
    http://ffxi.somepage.com/itemdb/8305 looks pretty nifty for BLU if you can get one.
    It does look good. Too bad it is from Assault. I have done Sagelord Elimination more times than I can count and I have never seen it. ;_;

Quote Originally Posted by Zoot
    Rare assault gear on a mule not likely to happen; Voyager Sallet seems like more of a viable option to me!
    Atum is not a mule, he is a secondary character. He has two level 75 jobs, is Rank 10 in Bastok, has finished with RotZ, has a Suppanomimi, has finished with ToAU, has completed every Assault with First Lieutenant rank, has beaten the Dynamis Lord, and is cleared for Dynamis - Tavnazia. He has accomplished more than a lot of main characters. >_<

Zoot

You can take out the mule part then! I'm not hating on your galka.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

This chracter is galka right? You might wanna invest in an Antivenom/Insomnia Earring for your BLUs MP then focus on more meleeish stats in the other Slots.

Mantra Coin is a great ammo slot item - but on Lakshmi its never sold. (Its from a BC50 vs 4golems) so is the Optical Needle.

Making a Mockery, ive done 2 full PT runs of it before - the drop rate is like 1 outta every 6 orders and in my opinion regarding it your better off with a Singh Kilij. (20mp, handy for galka + great DoT dmg)

The Leech Scimitar is a great weapon, but unless you go with 6 people and one persons gonna pass you the drop id say try for Singh. Or just grind until it drops.

Rest of the gear looks good, Voyagers is nice but GL with Carmine Camping :rocl:

Subduer of the Squenix
    BG Level

Where Zoot and I come from "secondary characters" are called mules and only get the drops that would rot.

That being said I know nothing about BLU at all and cannot contribute anything productive to this thread

Assuming you're mostly doing melee+physical damage spells with your blu, which it looks like you're gearing to do rather than support or something, you don't need a lot of max MP since you're not resting, using a full MP bar, then resting again, but rather relying on the amount you're recovering per tick while you melee. That's also why you don't ever want to exp without a RDM if you can help it. I'd say enough MP for 4-5 casts of your preferred spell is sufficient, and the rest you can worry about acc and dmg in your physical spells.

Jr. Muskateer's Chakram+2 is nice if you are still going to be in areas where it's useful, otherwise your Egg or Morion Tathlum until you can equip Tiphia Sting. Head I agree with Voyager Sallet, and although I got mine before I was told about this so never got to try, it's apparently possible to solo dobsonflies on BLU with pinecone bomb > zone, which would be cool to at least try out. Hands, for TP I used those lowbie Acc+3 gloves > Akinji > Dusk > Homam, for WS and physical spells Hume RSE (don't know galka stats) > Gigas Bracelets line. Leg choices are horrible, I used feral trousers when I could just because I was sick of what I'd been using, then Prince's Slops, although if you've got more IS than I do you can get those Acc+6, Besieged: MP+100 pants, which is probably your best bet at 75 until you get Homam, or if you don't plan on getting them. Feet I got the storm feet so used those until Hume RSE2, then dusk, then Homam, so that doesn't really help you as galka with bad appraisal luck. That's all I can think of at the moment.

S N K
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Do you have a Voyager Sallet also Sept?

Nerull

To start with, sub THF instead of NIN, and make a full STR set for SACA spells.

Weapons: correct, except fuck dual-weild
    Ammo: Jnr.Msk. Chakram +2 when it works, Morion Tathlum when it doesn't (INT mod for Head Butt and Mandibular Bite), Tiphia Sting for TP at 58.
    Head: Volger Skillet
    Earrings: correct for TP, Pilferer's Earring and Heims Earring for spells.
    Body: correct, with AF body for spells at 58
    Hands: Battle Gloves, Gigas Bracelets line for SA spells.
    Rings: Acc rings, STR rings for SA spells
    Back: correct for TP, Black/Red Cape+1 for HeadButt/MandibularBite, Jester's Cape +1 for Bludgeon, until 61
    Waist: Life Belt for TP/spells, Vanguard Belt for SA spells
    Legs: correct for TP, Elder's Braguette for spells (lolgalka).
    Feet: correct for TP, Storm Gambieras or Mountain Gaiters for spells.

Tonko

To start with, sub THF @54 is retarded. It has minor utility 60+ with Death Scissors, but not before, and even after 60 loosing shadows really eliminates a large portion of your survivability. You also loose out on 2nd weapon bonuses, as well as the melee attack haste provided by Dual Wield II.

BLUs should never gear for MP. You can toss some MP gear into your hMP setup if you'd like, but once you cast those first spells, those pieces of gear become useless. Swap out to STR gear for every physical spell you cast, with healthy doses of +acc thrown in where you can't get STR.

I'd personally use str rings instead of acc rings. (I used rajas with the +1 str rings at all levels). Also I think garrison hose would be a better edition if you want to be all elitest you can sub it in for spells and switch back the subligar for melee. Tiphia sting is a great edition. I used spike necklace then chiv torque instead of PCC I never really had acc issues, I did have max sword merits whole way and used sole sushi though. Don't SJ thief until death scissors at the very least. The DPS from dual wield as well as the bonus from the weapons themselves combined with shadows make it much more mp effective. Then later on /nin because more useful again. If mob does aoe thats negatable by shadows /nin instead of /thf too.

When exping on colibiris have dark staff and +macc gear and such because mp drainkiss basically owns em.
    If theres no one to SATA on then aim for until mob is 30% ish to SATA CA death scissors.

Nerull

Quote Originally Posted by Tonko
    To start with, sub THF @54 is retarded. It has minor utility 60+ with Death Scissors, but not before, and even after 60 loosing shadows really eliminates a large portion of your survivability. You also loose out on 2nd weapon bonuses, as well as the melee attack haste provided by Dual Wield II.
    To start with, there's only one o in "lose"

*shrug* to each his own I suppose. I always parsed higher as /thf than /nin, and had way more fun, doing SACA spells for decently impressive numbers. Survivability was rarely an issue, so long as I had a good tank and healer. BLU/NIN is far more boring.

edit: oh yeah Garrison Hose, forgot those. I used taru RSE legs.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

/thf from 60 is good with Death Scissors and Dimensional Death as good spells to stack with SA.

Until Frenetic Rip/H.Barrage/Disserverment - your not gonna really be taking -that- much hate. Unless you spell-spam which isnt advisable anyways.

SA + Scissors or Dimensional

TA + Mandibular Bite (or anything worth dropping hate with)

You shouldnt have any issues w/hate once you get TA and save the big spell for under 50%, even better for /thf is the fact you get Zephyr Mantle and Cocoon to soak up some hits.

/thf for the more 'regular' setup PTs

/nin for merits/solo

Tom Wilson will never be good.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zero Star
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

/NIN and /THF in exp is all about playstyle and prefrence imo. I found /NIN to be far better then /THF imo. Being Galka, you might try /THF once you hit 60 but before that, not really. Since you have less MP to work with, getting mor ebang for your buck might help some. I personally did not like /THF but like I said, it's a matter of playstyle and preference imo. Both are good subs in their own way.

Gear looks solid, don't think anyone left anything out as far as suggestions other then Jester's Cape +1. It's a solid pick up for Bludgeon @54, can't really beat +10CHR for that spell. Plenty of BLUs keep it for 75 and fit Bludgeon in as a backup small dmg, low mp spell.

BG is my LJ
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lovely Nirokun
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

i had a really, really fun PT with pld, rdm, brd/thf, blu/thf, blu, rng? (lesser?) colibri :D each blu saved TP for death SA death scissors to SC grav with ranger (sidewinder > DS?) and we got to MB MP drainkiss often. It was really fun

i went /nin to everything except that PT, where the JPs specifically asked me to come /thf.

you should do it at least once just for fun :D

other PTs i solo SC RLB > Sickle Slash and MB'd MP drainkiss, also fun. leveling blu was fun

Idk about your gear, but i have that +2chakram if you want to borrow it (and the tiphia sting)

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ellatrix Reatori
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

/thf is win from 60 to imps

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Alistaire Lexander
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Septimus
    Dinged 54 BLU last night, and wanted advice on gear. This is what I currently wear.

Main & sub: Combat Caster's Scimitar +2 x2 (Musketeer Commander's Falchions x2 waiting for 55)
    Ammo: Fortune Egg
    Head: Emperor's Hairpin
    Neck: Peacock's Charm
    Earring: Beetle Earrings +1 (Upgrade to Spike Earrings at 55)
    Body: Circe's Doublet (Upgrade to Jaridah Peti at 55, upgrade to Scorpion Harness +1 at 57)
    Hands: Elder's Bracers (Upgrade to Dune Bracers at 62?)
    Rings: Sniper's Ringsx2 (or Sniper's Rings x2 when borrowing from main)
    Back: Jaguar Mantle (Upgrade to Amemet Mantle/+1 at 61)
    Waist: Swift Belt (Should use Life Belt for spells, will wait for Potent Belt at 60)
    Legs: Republican Subligar
    Feet: Leaping Boots

I am mostly concerned about ammo, head, hands, legs, and feet. Any suggestions? I am especially concerned about the MP on the Elder's/Dune Bracers on my poor MP-starved Galka.

Also for anyone who did Making a Mockery, what kind of drop rate should I expect for the leech Scimitar? (Horrible or really horrible?)
    Head: Super Ribbon to 70 if you can't get Voyager.
    Ammo: Rogetsurin is fairly easy to camp. Ditto on the musketeer chakram for applicable areas.
    Earrings: Heim's/Harvest Earrings if you want to macro in something better for spells. (just to make sure you know, +atk does nothing for blu spells)
    Body: "Circe's Doublet" brings up nothing on somepage. You mean Cerise Doublet? Good choice if that's what you meant.
    Hands: best Gigas bracelets possible. You'll be using sushi + acc gear, a few points of -dex shouldn't hurt too bad. Greed Scimitar is also good to pair with that to balance it out a bit. Or for spells you're more concerned with acc, good ol' lvl 13 Battle Gloves.
    Legs: Garrison Hose for spells. Frog Trousers if you're up for hunting them for mp Magic Cuisses for Head Butt/Healing Breeze (if you want to do the best at curing you could get all the mnd gear possible and won't cap healing breeze for that level, caps @ 180 before cure potency+%)
    Feet: Mountain Gaiters are another good option.

as far as /thf vs /nin at any level before 70's /thf outdoes /nin, it's just a matter of whether you can survive as /thf. You can tank like a pld /war till mid 40's at least, I stopped there and not galka so not sure about galka @ 54. Death Scissors isn't the only spell you want sneak attack to do good damage with it. Sickle Slash, Mandibular Bite, Smite of Rage, Uppercut are all good choices. Nothing wrong at all with learning how to judge/time finishing off mobs with a big move like that. /nin isn't really better, just takes less skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Dammerung
    /thf is win from 60 to imps
    Still fun @ 75 to saca vertical cleave imps for 1500+, or for numbers like 2596 on Qutrubs.