Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

The Second Battle of Konschtat

This is a "play-by-play" account of the Second Battle of Konschtat. It occured in the year 691, about 200 years before the Crystal War. It was the last great conflict between the five races of Altana.

The content of this thread was taken from Life in Vana'diel. Sadly, this book was released four years ago, and I'm still extracting information from it that's new to foreign players.

I'm creating a shadow topic in Advanced, because I think its interesting enough and may tie in with the expansion. It's been so long since I've made an update, no one may think to look in my section anymore too.

If you want to know what I've been up to, I made a small update in this thread, and of course all the history topics (also from Life in Vana'diel) are still available in this section.

If you just want to learn about the battle, then keep scrolling ?

*Note: Falledemion, the leader of the Royal Knights at the time, is probably spelled wrong. I couldn't find an official spelling for it, but there may be one hidden in-game with the release of WotG.

Re: The Second Battle of Konschtat

In the 691st year of the Crystal Era, Konschtat Highlands was the stage for the sudden outbreak of a great battle between San d’Oria and Bastok: The Second Battle of Konschtat. The results of this clash verily shaped the course of history for years to come, so let us examine the details of this particular event.

The Night Before

Raigeugue’s Departure
    By the end of the 600s, Bastok was entering a bright, new age of prosperity. The Gold Musketeers repelled the Quadav forces, the newly established navy cleared the seas of pirates, and industry was booming in Palborough Mines.

Conversely, San d’Oria’s economy was suffered from a depression due to the assassination of Prime Minister Romvia and increasingly frequent Orcish raids. Some enterprising lords began to sell the mining rights to their various territories for the Gold Musketeers to survey and excavate.

It was during this era that the young king Raigeugue ascended to the throne. In an effort to follow in the footsteps of his predecessor, the Warking Acheufagais, Raigeugue announced to the people he would revive the glory days of San d’Oria, bringing a new age of honor to the Kingdom. With that, he began a new regimen of strict training exercises to strengthen the Royal Knights.

Then came the year 690, and after just two years a completely new army of Royal Knights were born, led by a fully confident king. They demanded that the Bastokan government return all previously attained mines and fiefdoms. Upon denial of said demands, San d’Oria declared war. Prince Fellenant was given custody of the Temple Knights in order to protect the capital, while Raigeugue personally led the Royal Knights and departed for battle.

The Wolfking Cometh

The invasion of the Royal Knights was swift and precise. Valkurm, Konschtat, Gustaberg; one by one the Republic’s fortifications fell, and after seven months time, the capital was surrounded. San d’Oria had swept across the continent with just their advance march.

With San d’Oria confident in their victory and the threat of Raigeugue imminent, President Shriver repeatedly sent messengers out to negotiate a surrender, intentionally dragging out the process.

http://www.cactusleaftl.com/ffxipics...onschtat01.jpg

A New Course of Action

One month after negotiations began…

Having lost his patience, King Raigeugue finally ordered a general strike on the capital. Due to the desolate conditions of Bastok, supplies were running low, Chocobo feed was scarce, and soldiers were fatigued. A spontaneous strike was necessary to end the conflict and minimize casualties. However, that night, information arrived that an army of Orcs crossed the mountains of Fauregandi and invaded Norvallen. The King was forced to make a change in plans.

Various generals gathered to plan a new course of action. Falledemion, leader of the Royal Knights, spoke, “We’re facing a grave situation here. Let us allow the King’s brother Fellenant to handle the Orcish invasion.” However, the King retorted, “That coward is no match for the Orcs.” Worried about the fate of their homeland, it was decided to alter plans and withdraw to face the oncoming threat. Count Caphieux initiated plans to torch their siege weaponry and have the noticeable bonfires trick the Bastokans into believing they were still present and ready to invade.

The Genius Schultz

Meanwhile, the Republican Legion exploited the prolonged negotiations to enact a plan hatched by Schultz, their key officer. Using an inconspicuous merchant ship, units from the 3rd Division, such as the Gold Musketeers, led by General Friese, and the Iron Musketeers gathered together and set sail. They disembarked onto Valkurm, and made their way into Konschtat under cover of darkness.

Soon, the Musketeers had established their position on the westerns hills of the Highlands. Gigas mercenaries carried in cannons, which were placed in strategic positions. Just as Schultz had planned, the Musketeers and Gigas were ready and waiting to ambush the forces of San d’Oria.

To Konschtat

Upon reaching the western part of Konschtat, the King discovered the information regarding an Orcish invasion was a hoax, (which was perpetrated by the Mythril Musketeers), and became distraught. He then learned that Republic forces had been trailing him and decided to do battle then and there. The King called together his Knights and addressed them, “Brave Knights! One hundred years prior, the Warking fought a bitter struggle upon Ancheralle (San d’Oria’s former name for Konschtat) and claimed victory! Let us dedicate this battle to their success!” The troops were inspired and morale soared.

Meanwhile, the Second Division had followed the Royal Knights and made their formations before Raigegue. Chief Officer Schultz, utilizing a Linkshell received from a friend in Windurst, soared above the battlefield in a hot-air balloon.

The morning of the fated battle had arrived…

Outbreak of War – The Progression of Battle

Participating Forces

*All numbers are approximate

http://www.cactusleaftl.com/ffxipics...onschtat02.jpg

Battle Lines Clash

http://www.cactusleaftl.com/ffxipics...onschtat03.jpg

With a mighty bellow, the Royal Guards sounded their hunting horns, signaling Goblin mercenaries to creep out of their foxholes and begin the advance. There was no turning back now.

Rangers of the Republican Legion’s 2nd Division allowed the Goblins to advance, then suddenly let out a round of musket fire upon them, followed by shots from their crossbows. Dozens of Goblins immediately fell before them. Immediately, the Goblins gave up their positions and began to scatter and flee.

However…

“FIRE!!”

Falledemion shouted his command to the Royal Archers, who all the while had been slowly getting into range. All at once, the archers rained arrows upon the Republic forces, obliterating their line of marksmen.

Bombardment!

http://www.cactusleaftl.com/ffxipics...onschtat04.jpg

After witnessing this, Friese, head of the Gold Musketeers, sent the signal down to his Gigas messengers.

Loudly strumming their plectrum, his men relayed the signal, and the Gigas hidden behind the hills rose up. At least three times the height of a Hume male, they towered over the battlefield. Aiming squarely at the Royal Archers, the Gigas lifted up boulders the size of adult TaruTaru and began hurling them.

With a loud boom, a large cloud of dust rose from the impact, taking with it the lives of a few archers. Next, the Gold Musketeers unleashed a blaze of fire from their cannons, and landed a direct hit upon the Royal Knights’ spearmen unit.

From his balloon above, Schultz observed some knights preparing to flee, and quickly relayed orders to Chief Geist to advance the heavy infantry. Warriors covered in thick armor made up the core of Bastok’s 2nd Division, so Bards rallied them together, playing Advancing March and they moved forward as a single unit.

Armies Collide

http://www.cactusleaftl.com/ffxipics...onschtat05.jpg

Although the Royal Archers suffered casualties, their strict training allowed them to quickly follow Falledemion’s orders to retreat.

In their place, the Royal Spearmen advanced, comprised of Warriors equipped with polearms. The Spearmen then marched forward to meet the Republic’s 2nd Division. Letting lose their war cries, weapons, armor, and flesh of the two armies violently collided with a great clamor.

At first, both forces fought equally, but as the battle unfurled, the Heavy Infantry began to gain some momentum against the Royal Archers, forcing them back little by little.

Assault of the Knights

http://www.cactusleaftl.com/ffxipics...onschtat06.jpg

As the main forces skirmished on the battlefield, Raigeugue and his cavalry gathered together with the remaining archers. Forming a right-wing assault, they launched a volley of arrows upon the advanced Bastokans, stopping them in their tracks.

From horseback, the King then went before the polearm-wielding Paladins and battle-clad White Mages of his Royal Cavalry, unsheathed his sword, and lifted it over his head, proclaiming, “I give my life for Altana!”

The soldiers responded in unison, “We give our lives for Altana!” and spurred their armored Chocobo mounts into combat. The King personally led forth the Royal Guard in their assault.

The Warking Strikes

http://www.cactusleaftl.com/ffxipics...onschtat07.jpg

The left wing of Bastok’s Heavy Infantry moved to shield the wave of scarlet surcoats that charged forth, but they were too late.

The Republican soldiers crumbled before the Royal Knights as they broke through the center of the Heavy Infantry. Soon after, the Reserve Cavalry followed, led by Count Caphieux.

Raigeugue then led his Royal Cavalry not towards the Gold Muskteers on the hill, but instead took a wide detour around the back of their encampment.

Meanwhile, Count Caphieux dismounted and moved to support the Black Mages, while the Reserve Cavalry began to scale the hills. He knew if they could not silence those cannons, the Kingdom would be unable to attain victory.

Guidance From the Sky

http://www.cactusleaftl.com/ffxipics...onschtat08.jpg

Calmly assessing the situation from his position in the sky, Schultz sent out the signal to mobilize the Galkan Mercenaries. They had been waiting, prepared, behind the right wing of the infantry, and now was their time to ambush Raigeugue and the royal cavalry. They were a ragtag group armed with melee and magic, but they were the strongest fighting force in the Republican Legion.

In addition, Schultz was in communication with Chief Greinner, who was rushing the Republican Legion’s 3rd Division south through Valkurm.

Upon the hills, a fierce battle continued to rage. Just as Count Caphieux directed, the cavalry struggled to destroy the cannons. However, they faced the elite forces of the Iron and Gold Musketeers, not to mention the Gigas mercenaries as well, and gradually fatigue began to overcome them.

A Triad of Battles

http://www.cactusleaftl.com/ffxipics...onschtat09.jpg

Having suffered heavy losses, Falledemion reluctantly continued to retreat the spearmen back. As a result, Bastok’s Heavy Infantry were able to assume a more favorable battle formation, allowing the damaged left wing to be protected, thus nullifying the progress Raigeugue had made.

Meanwhile, Raigeugue was leading his cavalry in a pincer attack against the right wing of the Heavy Infantry. However, they were engaged halfway by the Galkan Mercenaries. The Galka live exceptionally long lives, and have finely crafted military prowess. Therefore, they had extensive knowledge with how to combat mounted knights.

At this time, the battle upon the hills had drawn to its conclusion. After thoroughly crushing the Iron Musketeers, Count Caphieux agreed to a cease fire to allow for the collection and removal of casualties. That is when the captain of the Gold Musketeers, Friese, sniped Count Caphieux from behind, killing him. The cease fire was shattered, and the Gold Musketeers launched a fierce offensive. Count Caphieux’s eldest son, having no means of defeating the enemy, abandoned his father’s corpse and fled down the hills with the Reserve Cavalry. Using a support of Black Mages as cover, they scrambled on their Chocobos.

Schultz’s Cauldron

http://www.cactusleaftl.com/ffxipics...onschtat10.jpg

As Raigeugue somehow shook off the Galkan Mercenaries, the Royal Spearmen continued to flee. Without warning, the Republican Legion’s 3rd Division appeared on the rear highway with a force one thousand soldiers strong. With the path of retreat cut off, Falledemion found himself surrounded from the North and South, and left with precious little options.

Schultz saw this from his balloon above, and blew his whistle. This was the endgame he had planned for from the beginning. There were some mishaps along the way, but the final results were there: the enemy had fallen victim to Schultz’s Cauldron, completely surrounded and contained by the Republican Legion.

Southward, the Reserve Cavalry had somehow escaped from the hills and fled towards Pashhow with about an hundred of their soldiers remaining. The Gold Muskteers, unfortunately, lacked mounts and simply could not summon the energy to pursue them.

The Last Stand

http://www.cactusleaftl.com/ffxipics...onschtat11.jpg

Witnessing the dilemma before him, Raigeugue was resolute as he addressed his men. “We knights have the strength to persevere. If we choose to flee, we may flee, thus staining the reputation of the Royal Knights. So we shall strike; we shall give our lives to rescue the Spearmen, and tales of our great sacrifice shall be passed down throughout the generations!”

Following the declaration, the leader of the Tavnazian Knights stepped forward to deliver his own proclamation. “We, the Knights of Tavnazia, are bound to uphold the will of our founding Marquis, and defend the Kingdom of San d’Oria with our lives. That opportunity is now before us!”

With that, the Knights of Tavnazia dismounted from their Chocobos, and with their Wyverns unleashed, rushed valiantly towards the enemy.

The Battle Closes

As the Knights of Tavnazia risked their lives, Raigeugue and his men managed to pierce through the iron-clad infantry and forge a path of escape through the north. The Royal Spearmen had all but collapsed, but a few remnants managed to escape while Falledemion bravely fought on to the bitter end. He fell on the battlefield while allowing his comrades to flee to safety.

By the time they reached La Theine, the King was left with but a few dozen soldiers. (It is said that the King was able to escape due to Schultz’s advice that the Republican Legion “not challenge those who are prepared to die.”)

A complete reversal from the First Battle of Konschtat, Bastok had managed to claim a definitive victory.

Some hours later, a proclamation of victory spread across the hills of Konschtat Highlands. The Gold Musketeers, the two legions, and finally descending from the skies, Schultz himself gathered together in jubilation.

http://www.cactusleaftl.com/ffxipics...onschtat12.jpg

23 years old
    Rating: total douchebag

BG Level

K so this question has been making me wonder.

Konschtat obviously exists far in the past.
    And konschtat obviously exists now...

So where the hell is it in WOTG? (Yes I know I know technically you can count grauberg but I'm more wondering why it isnt named konschtat) What happened 20 years ago where it just wasn't allowed to be called konschtat anymore.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

That is a good question. It could be that it is so war torn no one ever goes there. Oh Elmer where did you find this?

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

yay schultz

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Ryko
    K so this question has been making me wonder.

Konschtat obviously exists far in the past.
    And konschtat obviously exists now...

So where the hell is it in WOTG? (Yes I know I know technically you can count grauberg but I'm more wondering why it isnt named konschtat) What happened 20 years ago where it just wasn't allowed to be called konschtat anymore.
    Grauberg isn't Konschtat because it's, well... next door to Konschtat (you can see Konschtat and the crag of Dem from a certain vantage point in Grauberg). As for why Konschtat itself is blocked off, you can either go with the "it's wartime" excuse for all the other blocked off zones, or the "devs were lazy" excuse. Either works.

My concern is the other way around, however. I'm more curious about why Grauberg isn't accessable in the present.

23 years old

BG Level

K well since the zone itself hosted 2 major battles I'm not going with the wartime one.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

K well since the zone itself hosted 2 major battles I'm not going with the wartime one.
    Same could be said for Beadeaux, but we can't get in there, either. But somebody probably just got lazy.

23 years old

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Khamsin
    Same could be said for Beadeaux, but we can't get in there, either. But somebody probably just got lazy.
    Of the [s] zones we havent gotten, was beadeaux not in those? I know the other 2 beastmen strongholds were.

Ridill
    BG Level

hoooooooly shit dude thanks as always

72 for you good sir

Added some info to the OP, like how the battle maps came from Life in Vana'diel.

As for the absence of Konschtat in WotG... I think they just didn't want to deal with the crags for whatever reason. All three crag zones were replaced with new areas.

Still reading, but i just wanted to chime in before taking too long reading.. It seems San d'Oria's starting positioning took a page from the southpark movie with operation "Get Behind the Gobbies".

Edit: Awesome as always though. Much appreciated.

A. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Reason why i think Konschtat isn't in WoTG is cause selbina declared its independence, doesn't appear as if the entire region of zulkheim participated in the crystal war. I think its also that SE didn't want to create confusion with the crags in the past.

A. Body
    BG Level

Fucking. Awesome.

Story-wise, there could only be two reasons the crag zones aren't accessible in the south: Either it isn't a major battle ground or it is.
    If you'll notice, most of the paths from the nub zone to Jugner (et al) are narrow, probably normally unused passages. Konschtat and the others are fairly large and easily traversable. They were blocked either because they are never used or because they knew beastmen WOULD use them, since they are easier ways to access the cities.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast