+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ron Paul is doing it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronpaul2008.com
    We are close to making history. In November, we mentioned that the all-time, single-day primary fundraising record is John Kerry’s $5.7 million in 2004. At this hour, Ron Paul stands at $5.4 million.

Won't you help Ron Paul make history?

If you are considering donating, please help us by making your donation before midnight EST tonight. And if you have donated already, won't you help us by contributing again? https://www.ronpaul2008.com/donate

By the way, we are closing in on 25,000 first-time donors today. That?s unbelievable! Help us hit this mark too by telling your friends about this historic day!
    Quote Originally Posted by RonPaul2008.com
    This day keeps getting more unbelievable! For those of you who might not know yet, today is quickly turning into a spectacular fundraising day for Ron Paul. You've already raised over $3.6 million since midnight!

Over 30,000 of your fellow Americans have made a contribution today, including more than 13,000 who have done so for the first time.

As always, you're helping Ron Paul blow past everyone's expectations and moving Dr. Paul one step closer to President Paul. We're all honored to be a part of this historic campaign. We have nothing but admiration for the support that each of you gives everyday to Ron Paul and the cause of freedom.

How high can we go? Who knows! If you've been considering making a donation to our campaign, please help us shatter every possible fundraising record by donating today: https://www.ronpaul2008.com/donate

Have fun watching the new graphic on our website: http://www.ronpaul2008.com, but don't forget to ask your friends to donate, too!
    Are people finally going to start taking his campaign seriously?

evilbau

Re: Ron Paul is doing it again.

Quote Originally Posted by pohibaba
    lets hope not

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I wish, but I'm also a pessimist, so I'm guessing probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by evilbau
    lets hope not
    It seems like all the college kids around my area are.

I guess to bad for him college kids don't vote. They just smoke weed and talk like they will.

evilbau

Quote Originally Posted by Serif
    lets hope not
    It seems like all the college kids around my area are.

I guess to bad for him college kids don't vote. They just smoke weed and talk like they will.
    haha exactly. Ask Howard Dean how that worked out.

I fail to see why all this is even relevant. The baby-boomers is currently the generation that has the largest influence in voting. To think otherwise is foolish and just uneducated. Most people from that generation are probably not going to vote for an individual such as this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by *Shinzon*
    I fail to see why all this is even relevant. The baby-boomers is currently the generation that has the largest influence in voting. To think otherwise is foolish and just uneducated. Most people from that generation are probably not going to vote for an individual such as this guy.
    All the college kids I know certainly don't have the extra cash to be donating to a campaign like this. To raise $5 million in one day not once, but twice, requires serious support from the baby boomers.

Voted NO on requiring lobbyist disclosure of bundled donations. (May 2007)
    http://www.ontheissues.org/Ron_Paul.htm

Meaning he is probably getting money from lobbyist groups that don't want to publicly state that they are giving him money. Donations don't often times come from regular people. They come from these Lobbyist who offer money in exchange for voting a certain way. Seriously, find out how many regular, working class people which is/was, a majority of the baby boomer generation, will spend their hard earned money on a politician's campaign. Not many.

I'm not 100% sure thats the case, but I'd be willing to take a bet thats the case for many of that generation.

Was just reading about this on my flight back from Tampa yesterday, and it made a few valid points... mainly being that, as sensational as it seems to look at the websites and numbers, internet popularity hardly translates into real-world effect. As with the Howard Dean comment - he as well had huge online hype, as well as other political candidates and various other things as well (movies, for instance). However, it just didn't translate into the support that was needed.

To put it in more understandable terms, think of Snakes on a Plane. The whole idea of the movie was to make a ridiculously outrageously stupid movie with such a huge cult internet following that it would actually succeed - now, while it did just that in many theaters across the country, there are just far more people who had no clue what it was about and just thought it was a HORRID HORRID movie, so it got nowhere, really. It doesn't even have a cult following to it as was expected. Myself, I'd love to see him win, and when I see people out in the real world supporting him (collecting signatures or whatnot) I give them my support as well, but I doubt all this internet support will push him ahead when the day comes :/

Edit:

On the topic of baby boomers, I decided to read up on it a bit, as I'm bored. Interesting note:
    "In the United States, Kathleen Casey-Kirschling is generally recognized as the nation's first baby boomer. She was born in Philadelphia on January 1, 1946, at 12:00:01 a.m. Casey-Kirschling applied for Social Security benefits on 15 October 2007, signaling the start of an expected avalanche of applications from the post World War II war generation. "

Taken from Wikipedia.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I wonder if it'd ever be possible for a charity to pull this off.

Imagine...

We are close to making history. In November, we mentioned that the all-time, single-day primary fundraising record is American Cancer Society’s $5.7 million in 2004. At this hour, Global Hunger Project stands at $5.4 million.
    This day keeps getting more unbelievable! For those of you who might not know yet, today is quickly turning into a spectacular fundraising day for the Humane Society. You've already raised over $3.6 million since midnight!

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Khamsin
    I wonder if it'd ever be possible for a charity to pull this off.

Imagine...

We are close to making history. In November, we mentioned that the all-time, single-day primary fundraising record is American Cancer Society’s $5.7 million in 2004. At this hour, Global Hunger Project stands at $5.4 million.
    [quote:dmxtg42y]This day keeps getting more unbelievable! For those of you who might not know yet, today is quickly turning into a spectacular fundraising day for the Humane Society. You've already raised over $3.6 million since midnight!
    [/quote:dmxtg42y]

Not in America.

evilbau

I gotta be a little honest, the Howard Dean situation is quite different from Ron Paul. Howard Dean was the front runner while Ron Paul will never escape single digits. Internet support for Howard Dean was one avenue of fund raising and organization. He was a 'new Democrat' when everyone thought that is what we needed. Then he screamed and lost Iowa when all the 'old Democrats' realized he wouldn't win a general election (a war hero certainly did sound better than someone who screams on stage...)

Ron Paul is not even close to being as mainstream or appealing to as wide an audience as Howard Dean. He appeals to crazy counter-culture personalities who have ZERO sense of policy. His stances on the issues are so unrealistic but are popular with independents because of the symbolic 'fixes' to current 'problems' which sound appealing when you have no idea what the consequences will be in implementation. I actually wrote point by point on his issues but deleted it because there is no need to get into the specifics.

Ron Paul is the indie rocker ("He's cool because you don't know him", "He's cool because he hasn't 'sold out' to the man", "He's cool because hes going to destroy everything the previous generation created... because IT SUCKS!") version of a Presidential Candidate. Supporting Ron Paul has become trendy all on its own without knowing the issues. I wouldn't be so quick to say it isn't the young people when it is obvious the hype and buzz IS coming from the younger generation (do you know tons of baby boomers that create YouTube videos for Ron Paul and join his facebook/myspace?). As for where the money is coming from, i haven't gone through the SEC filings (there IS a line that is too hardcore for me to cross to prove my point) so the answers you seek are probably there. I'm willing to bet what I learn about these large 'fundraiser' days would be surprising. I would look it up myself, but I don't care that much about candidates with an issue profile that disgusts me as much as his does.

I wrote all that because I really can't be making fun of Ron Paul forever without giving some real reasons. So there.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Voted NO on requiring lobbyist disclosure of bundled donations. (May 2007)
    http://www.ontheissues.org/Ron_Paul.htm

Meaning he is probably getting money from lobbyist groups that don't want to publicly state that they are giving him money. Donations don't often times come from regular people. They come from these Lobbyist who offer money in exchange for voting a certain way. Seriously, find out how many regular, working class people which is/was, a majority of the baby boomer generation, will spend their hard earned money on a politician's campaign. Not many.

I'm not 100% sure thats the case, but I'd be willing to take a bet thats the case for many of that generation.

# Voted NO on establishing "network neutrality" (non-tiered Internet). (Jun 2006)

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

He's a threat to the political game both parties and the media love to play if he were to actually win. I doubt he'll win based on that alone.

You can claim some of his policies are out there and "won't work" but a lot of his policies are based on things that have already worked in the past and got changed somewhere down the line. He is based in the Constitution and I'm confident most of his policies would be better for the country.

Old Merits
    BG Level

but instead yous would rather vote for some other asshole and continue an interventionist foreign policy starting unjustified wars and continue to be hated worldwide, good game.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Erza
    but instead yous would rather vote for some other asshole and continue an interventionist foreign policy starting unjustified wars and continue to be hated worldwide, good game.
    Yeah, another point to Ron Paul here. I'd rather let the UN deal with shit fully and see what people think of the US when we stop doing our own thing and going into countries. Will they miss what we do? If yes, point for us. If no, then we're fine anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurin
    # Voted NO on establishing "network neutrality" (non-tiered Internet). (Jun 2006)

Ron Paul believes the internet should be without government interference, even a law stating the government can't interfere.

Official THE Alpha and Omega

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by RustyMetal
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurin

Ron Paul believes the internet should be without government interference, even a law stating the government can't interfere.
    ROFL
    Ahahaahahahahahahaha

You're fucking kidding me

blax n gunz
    BG Level

I read shinzon's link and I found myself boggling to come up with a reason why this man has any support from college campuses whatsoever:

Voted NO on expanding research to more embryonic stem cell lines. (Jan 2007)
    Voted NO on allowing human embryonic stem cell research. (May 2005)
    Voted YES on banning Family Planning funding in US aid abroad. (May 2001)
    No need for Marriage Amendment; DOMA is enough. (Sep 2007)
    Don't ask, don't tell is a decent policy for gays in army. (Jun 2007)
    Voted YES on banning gay adoptions in DC. (Jul 1999)
    Equal funds for abstinence as contraceptive-based education. (Sep 2007)
    Voted NO on $84 million in grants for Black and Hispanic colleges. (Mar 2006)
    By all accounts he should have been dismissed as a conservative nutjob years ago. And then I saw:

Legalize medical marijuana. (Jul 2001)
    There it is. Yup, fuck them minorities, gays and scientists, gimme mah weed!

Fuck Ron Paul. He's the Ross Perot of this age. Says one popular thing to generate activism but when you look underneath the surface he's Just Another Republican.

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

lets hope not
    Agreed.. he's only libertarian where it concerns the war and where it suits him to be for "states rights".

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast