+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20
    i'm awesome.
    BG Level

I sometimes wonder, giving credit to the skills of directors, whether if given the opportunity I could direct something better than Dragonball Evolution. I mean, sitting back and observing the failure that Evolution was, it's certainly easy to say how much better it would have been had this, this and that happened. However, I can't help but wonder what exactly makes it so hard to stick to the storyline. I mean there has to be some reason why they try to make these kinds of movies, which appeal to a younger audience, adhere to the cliche 3-act, high school/college format.

I can't help but think that if they had just stuck to the original story that we'd have a huge blockbuster on our hands and we'd all be hotly anticipating the subsequent sequels. But maybe, this was the best Dragonball could do and changing the story actually helped more than it hurt?

It's kind of hard to get at what I'm saying so if it isn't clear now I'll try to say it simply. Maybe even if they had stuck to the original storyline it wouldn't have been a blockbuster hit and it might have been worse somehow. Maybe they know something we don't and the cliche shit they did to it actually helped more than it hurt? Maybe I'm giving too much credit where it isn't due?

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Isn't there supposed to be a live action He-man in the works? That could send angry cries across the country.

Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Its almost as if the fans wanted this movie more than the people that made it. The movie felt like it was punishment for everyone involved making it.

A. Body
    BG Level

is this even worth movie hopping into?

PUP Power!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

According to Rotten Tomatoes, they already confirmed a sequel is in the works.

el-o-el

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Maguspk View Post
    It's kind of hard to get at what I'm saying so if it isn't clear now I'll try to say it simply. Maybe even if they had stuck to the original storyline it wouldn't have been a blockbuster hit and it might have been worse somehow. Maybe they know something we don't and the cliche shit they did to it actually helped more than it hurt? Maybe I'm giving too much credit where it isn't due?
    That's what I generally think...until I realize not making the movie would be a better money investment.

Dragoon Princess
    My Little Ixion

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaiyoko Star
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Destromath

Quote Originally Posted by Toth View Post

el-o-el
    I hope not -.- . It'll disgrace anything dealing with DBZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthonystar View Post
    I hope not -.- . It'll disgrace anything dealing with DBZ.
    Pretty sure the first movie has already accomplished this.

Dragoon Princess
    My Little Ixion

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaiyoko Star
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Destromath

Quote Originally Posted by Koyuki View Post
    Pretty sure the first movie has already accomplished this.
    Was assuming DBZ era would be the next not Dragon ball D: . But if you look at it this way... it disgraced DBZ and Dragon ball ~.~

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

There's a Dragonball Z game coming out based on the movie lol.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by Hirokei Kiaza View Post
    There's a Dragonball Z game coming out based on the movie lol.
    I'm sure it will be better then the movie... oh wait... the character design doesnt even look like the ppl in the movie (lolgoku)

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

el-o-el
    Hopefully with the box office numbers they wont move forward with the project. It made less than 5 mil on it's debut weekend here, made less than 30 mil so far worldwide. And the cost of the movie was at least 50 mil.

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

el-o-el
    My god.... KILL IT WITH FIRE AND NAPALM!

I'll admit I didn't see the movie, but honestly.... who here seen the previews and though it'd be good? The previews were a good foreshadowing for how crappy this movie would be.

If they wanted to make a movie based on Dragonball (Not DBZ). They should have made it based on the actual manga/anime. At least then it had a chance to be decent.

EDIT: This makes me wonder how bad the Cowboy Bebop live action is going to be.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Corrderio View Post
    My god.... KILL IT WITH FIRE AND NAPALM!

EDIT: This makes me wonder how bad the Cowboy Bebop live action is going to be.
    We'll see when the previews or actual screenshots are out but if anything it's probably going to be PG-13 and not R for something like this. This movie should have been R so they could go all out fuck shit up but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO it has to be about a teenager that learns about his "hidden" abilities to face a coming evil.

Actually I'm looking forward to the sequel...

Maybe, MAAAAAYBE after this crap-o-zilla they will come to sense and will start doing things as they should be... Maybe >.>

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I just watched this and wasn't really expecting much from it but I feel like part of my childhood was raped and murdered in an hour and ten minutes.

It wasn't the worst movie I have ever seen but it certainly isn't worth paying to watch.The ki blasts looked like shit the only cool part in it was the capsule cars bulma had.

Xavier

Quote Originally Posted by Maguspk View Post
    I can't help but think that if they had just stuck to the original story that we'd have a huge blockbuster on our hands and we'd all be hotly anticipating the subsequent sequels. But maybe, this was the best Dragonball could do and changing the story actually helped more than it hurt?
    I agree with what you're saying in principal, but given that this was one of the most widely recognized and arguably "popular" anime shows of all time (and, whether or not you think its "good", there is no denying it was hugely popular for 15-20 years?), there is something to be said for sticking to the actual universe.

Seeing as how the movie had a $4 million opening weekend in America, I would be hard pressed to accept that these changes were for the best.