+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Christmas or Christmas Eve Dinner

EDIT: I changed this to include Christmas dinner as well as Christmas Eve dinner.

So what are you having tonight for dinner? Does your family make stuff from scratch, do they get catered food, do you get Chinese food?

This is my first Christmas Eve with my new wife so I want to make it special. We're having the following:

(all home made by me)

Appetizers:
    Stuffed banana peppers
    Caesar salad
    Insalata (fresh mozzarella balls, roasted red peppers, sun dried tomatoes, good balsamic vinegar, good olive oil, fresh cracked black pepper)

Entrees:
    Bacon wrapped Filet Mignon encrusted with crumbled blue cheese
    King crab legs with lemon and drawn butter

Sides:
    Sauteed mushrooms and onions

2003 Innisfree Merlot [Joseph Phelps vineyards, Napa Valley] (no, I didn't make this)

I also bought some casks of high acohol content beer (Duvel and Ommegang) but I might save them for tomorrow.

In-laws are making cornish game hens tonight.

Christmas dinner: In-laws making a rib roast.

So what are you and/or your family having tonight or tomorrow night?

Re: Christmas Eve Dinner

I shall be keeping the kitchen clean for tomorrow, so pizza.

E. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Bleeding Hollow

What is this Christmas Eve dinner you speak of?

E. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Ysera

Well, my family always has ribs. ALWAYS. It's the big Christmas food back home in Norway, though my family prepares it differently than all the recipies say, and it turns out so much more yummy! I bet they're having ribs right now... It would be about 5:30pm there. This year, though, I'm not having ribs, since I'm at college. I thought I was spending Christmas alone with two microwavable frozen burritos, but then my boyfriend came and kidnapped me and now I'm staying with his family, so I'm not sure what we're having for dinner.

Christmas Eve Dinner is that thing that some families have that do not do a Christmas dinner. lol. Like my family... We -never- get together on Christmas. It's always Christmas Eve. We open the presents at my grandparents' places and then when we got home, we'd have to wait until Christmas morning to open our "at home" presents from the parents/Santa.

Was a good time. This year, I get a whole day of no family stuff on Christmas. It's all on Christmas Eve. Gotta love family tradition!

And, no clue what's for dinner... Being a vegetarian, I get to eat only half of what's made. >.>

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Norelco
    2003 Innisfree Merlot [Joseph Phelps vineyards, Napa Valley] (no, I didn't make this)
    Where did you get this? Here in Maryland, we drink a lot of J Phelphs Napa Cab, Merlot, Insignia, Pastiche. Problem is though, they are really expensive. Innisfree is in the range of $20-25? I would serve the appetizers with a nice bubbly; Chandon Riche comes to my mind.

Having mom's home-made Salmon ginger. A bit of Drambuie always does the trick for me.

Quote Originally Posted by eunhye
    Quote Originally Posted by Norelco
    Where did you get this? Here in Maryland, we drink a lot of J Phelphs Napa Cab, Merlot, Insignia, Pastiche. Problem is though, they are really expensive. Innisfree is in the range of $20-25? I would serve the appetizers with a nice bubbly; Chandon Riche comes to my mind.

Having mom's home-made Salmon ginger. A bit of Drambuie always does the trick for me.
    I got this for $20 (it was marked down from $25) at a liqour store here in Buffalo, NY. How is the Merlot? The guy saw me looking at it and said it was fantastic.

I have a case of sparkling wines someone got me from Sonoma Valley for my wedding.

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

My family usually reserves the big feast for Christmas Day.. especially if we're travelling the day before.

So I expect tonight's dinner to consist of a steak bomb, a six-pack of good dark beer, and maybe some homemade christmas cookies once I get to mom's house.

New Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Shuemue
    I shall be keeping the kitchen clean for tomorrow, so pizza.

http://turkeysandwich.wordpress.com/200 ... llandaise/

I think i'm going too make this for dinner, and bring it too the shindig at my parents house.

http://www.greenstardesign.com/blog/ham_banana.jpg

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Calais Theron
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Sargeras

Similar to our Thanksgiving food really. Ham or turkey, potatoes, some sort of vegetable casseroles, and pie. Now that most of the kids are adults themselves now we've started including a bit of booze as well. Overall, nothing fancy pants special, but better than average. Although I do have an aunt that brings Popeyes chicken to Christmas dinner every year....

Re: Christmas or Christmas Eve Dinner

Bangers & Mash.

Draught.

Lager.

Moar Draught.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Christmas Eve for us consists more of snacking on appetizers throughout the day - chips/crackers and dip, spring rolls, cheese, etc., while we hang out and open presents. Possibly some booze too, since all of us are over 18. Christmas Day will be the big extended family meal, similar to Thanksgiving - turkey, potatoes, stuffing, vegetables, gravy, etc. Can't wait for all that good food. :d

Ashira

Take out Chinese. Apparently a tradition for my dad's wife's family, and I promised to make an appearance this year. Just what I want.. being around what starts out as like, 5 screaming running yelling roughhousing children, and I swear they multiply as the night goes on...

I think I'll be having wine with my Chinese. A lot of wine.

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

Christmas Eve is always boiled hot dogs and Christmas Day is usually homemade Lasagna.

Amazing, isn't it?

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by EternityEnd
    What is this Christmas Eve dinner you speak of?

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Helmut Lang
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Huge family so: ham, turkey, mashed potatoes, tamales, various vegetables, salads, green bean casserole. people also bring various dishes that change every year, the list is just whats typically there.

Also shitloads of sweets.

Been Here Longer Than you
    BG Level

<- Doesn't believe in opening shit before Christmas day. Also don't do any kind of Christmas Eve dinner. We do it all on Christmas day.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Christmas Eve = Lasagna filled with a metric ton of ricotta, mozzarella, hot sausage and meatballs.

Christmas = Turkey, sausage apple stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes w. marshmallow, cream onions, broccoli/cauliflower, waldorf salad, biscuits etc etc. 6 pie types (stay away from the aunt's 'wonderful' <cough> squash pie)

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Gorgonnash

Prime Rib and lots of it!