+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: UFC 79     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    BG Level

Re: UFC 79

Quote Originally Posted by Remy0
    Quote Originally Posted by noblemountain
    seeing hughes like that just makes me wonder if GSP is that good or if hughes has declined that much. i've trained with hughes...i've seen him throw people around like rag dolls, and he couldn't take GSP down to save his life. i was honestly shocked.
    I think a little of both. GSP has outwrestled both Koscheck and Hughes, thats huge in terms of wrestling ability. I'm counting on Matt to move up to middleweight and add some depth there and maybe beat anderson silva, if he doesn't retire soon(would be a sad sad day).
    I would like to see hughes take some time out and fight Serra after GSP beats the crap out of him in a couple months from now, then Hughes can retire on a high note after beating Serra.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

That was awesome the way GSP dismantled Hughes, giving him a taste of his own medicine and returning that arm bar.

I miss Wanderlei. That wasn't the axe murderer that came tonight. Almost seemed like he was paid to lose (not saying he was). When he knocked Chuck over and then just waited for him to get up that was one of the oddest things I've ever seen. I also wondered where the clinch went, unlike most of his fights he didn't try for it at all.

the elephant whisperer
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

wanderlei is a very exciting fighter...just not very technical. when he's fought good counter punchers he's been stopped. (vitor, cro cop, hendo, lidell) i think the pressure was unreal for both these guys to knock the other guy out and make this the fight of the year that they both were a little timid. letting someone up isn't unusual at all though, he didn't wanna go to the ground, he wanted to throw bombs. although i was surprised to see chuck go for the takedown a few times...shocked the hell out of me. wanderlei's clinch game is great...but he doesn't use it that much. chuck's a taller fighter and it would've been tough to clinch with him effectively, so he prolly didn't bother. he usually only clinches wrestlers that try and take him down.

matt could step up to MW easily. i remember talk of him doing that a few months back, but nothing ever came of it. i don't know if it'll be a good thing with dan henderson there now though. i don't see anderson silva stopping hendo, he's unreal. as far as hendo v. matt...all american wrestlers are good...but hendo's an olympic caliber wrestler and great counter puncher who's a bit heavier as well. probably just safe to stay WW and not fight GSP anymore.

Chuck went for takedowns because Wand wasn't expecting it so they were easy and if he didn't land a punch in the 3rd round he'd secure it as his by takedown points.

BG Level

Not really about UFC but it probably doesn't deserve its own thread. Is anyone else going to watch the Yarennoka and K1 fights going on late this night/early morning? Does anyone know of any live streams that will show these events? Also for those who do stream normal UFC ppv what site do you use, I used to have a stream bookmarked for the not so great UFC events but then I lost it.

Nog, obviously... But Big Tim has a way of making me a very sad man.

the elephant whisperer
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

i like tim...he's not an exciting fighter, but he's a great guy and a true champion. he is the lennox lewis of MMA...does just what he needs to win. he also got his shot in the UFC way to early, only had 10 fights or so under his belt before his title fight. he wore that belt EVERYWHERE though and was a good ambassador of the sport. all that being said, i'd rather nog be champ. 8)

wanted an excuse to use the 6' 8" man on a vespa scooter pic

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by noblemountain
    i like tim...he's not an exciting fighter, but he's a great guy and a true champion. he is the lennox lewis of MMA...does just what he needs to win. he also got his shot in the UFC way to early, only had 10 fights or so under his belt before his title fight. he wore that belt EVERYWHERE though and was a good ambassador of the sport. all that being said, i'd rather nog be champ. 8)
    I have to disagree with what you said about him being a true champion. Tim is a jerk... He makes people pay $20/signature, he flips people off when they try to talk to him... I dunno, that just doesn't seem to be a good ambassador to the sport. And I agree he does JUST what he needs to win, but that's pretty easy when you're a foot taller than almost everyone.

the elephant whisperer
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Jyakku
    I have to disagree with what you said about him being a true champion. Tim is a jerk... He makes people pay $20/signature, he flips people off when they try to talk to him... I dunno, that just doesn't seem to be a good ambassador to the sport. And I agree he does JUST what he needs to win, but that's pretty easy when you're a foot taller than almost everyone.
    i never got to personally train with tim, but i was around him a lot and he was never like that. he signed autographs for 3 hours once in the local best buy when he came in to visit his girlfriend...every time i've been around him he's been a genuinely nice guy. i'm not saying the things you say didn't didn't happen, but i've never seen it. he just seemed overwhelmed by the whole experience back then.

Remy...don't blame you about the scooter pic...that's just awesome.

btw, who's watching fedor fight hong man choi tonight?

[attachment=0:2b8a5ypv]fedorchoi.jpg[/attachment:2b8a5ypv]

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

It already happened and is on youtube.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sfCuHsxLuLM

the elephant whisperer
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

damnit...i hate japanese ppv's...never can remember when they're on our time.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Einherjar
    I miss Wanderlei. That wasn't the axe murderer that came tonight. Almost seemed like he was paid to lose (not saying he was). When he knocked Chuck over and then just waited for him to get up that was one of the oddest things I've ever seen. I also wondered where the clinch went, unlike most of his fights he didn't try for it at all.
    i would have to totally agree with you, usally when silva sees someone on the ground he would take full advantage of the situation. From the fight Lidill was droped twice, but had enough time to get back up because silva gave him space. Seeing his fights in Pride it would have never happend like that. But last couple fights silva has been a disapointment even when he was in pride, he doesnt seem to have the stamina that he use to by finnishing his opponants off in the 1-2 rounds.

I do believe Chucks style matches well with Wands which on paper alone gives you an advantage to Chuck, but by pure agression, addition of the clinch and chins, I'd say Wand comes out on top. Whoever developed his gaem plan for this should not simply be fired, but should have guns fired at them.