+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Saint Daahan Von Quitter the 1st
    Patron of Yin

BG Level

2008 NFL Playoffs: Wild Card Round Picks

AFC

Jacksonville (11-5) @ Pittsburgh (10-6) - I'm going with Jacksonville all the way on this one. The Steelers lost their team's identity with the loss of Willie Parker and I don't think Davenport will be able to take over on the RB position. In the books, Pittsburgh's defense looks really good, but they haven't been playing well at all over the past few games. The powerful one-two punch running game of Taylor and MJD will be way too much for the Steelers to handle. Don't forget that David Garrard is playing smart and consistent football and has been steadily improving his passing game. I don't think Pittsburgh is going to get killed, but I think the Jags will win by at least a TD.

Tennessee (10-6) @ San Diego (11-5) - Well, I really wanted the Browns to go to the playoffs but Peyton and Company couldn't wrap up the game against the Titans in the first half. The Chargers started the season very poorly but they seem to have recollected themselves and have become dominant once again. Both these teams have pretty good defenses and both have offenses that can be incredibly inconsistent at times. If Philip Rivers doesn't throw a bunch of INTs and LT has enough touches, I forsee the Chargers winning this game pretty easily. I don't think the Titans Offense will be productive against the Chargers.

NFC

Washington(9-7) @ Seattle (10-6) - I think this game should be pretty interesting. It's safe to say now that the Seahawks are a passing team this season. Running the ball is probably taboo in Seattle now. That means that Hasselbeck and Co. will have to go up against a determined defense that has been on a roll in the past 4 games. Then you have Clinton Portis, Todd Collins, Santana Moss, and Chris Cooley coming together in a perfect harmony on offense. Despite having a 9-7 record, I think the Redskins are a much bigger threat than people make them out to be. Because Seattle will be one dimensional, the Redskins will be able to capitalize on that. I'm picking a close game with Washington winning by a field goal.

New York Giants (10-6) @ Tampa Bay (9-7) New York played a really good game against NE on Saturday and I honestly expect them to carry that in to this game. They are notorious for sucking in the playoffs in the past few seasons but I think they'll be able to take on Bucs. The Bucs defense is going to give them a run for their money though, but then again, the Giants defense is going to give TB a really tough time as well. I think this is going to be a pretty close game as well.

The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Re: 2008 NFL Playoffs: Wild Card Round Picks

Agree with all cept NYG. Teams that have played the pats have a horrible record the following week. Tampa has slid, yeah, but they started resting starters like 4 weeks ago heh.

Cake Mix

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

AFC

Jacksonville (11-5) @ Pittsburgh (10-6)

Tennessee (10-6) @ San Diego (11-5)

NFC

Washington(9-7) @ Seattle (10-6)

New York Giants (10-6) @ Tampa Bay (9-7)

Ridill
    BG Level

There is no way Phillip Rivers beats Vince Young in the playoffs.

Saint Daahan Von Quitter the 1st
    Patron of Yin

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Plow
    That may or may not be true, but there is definitely a way LaDanian Tomlinson beats Vince Young in the playoffs.

Ridill
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Daahan
    That may or may not be true, but there is definitely a way LaDanian Tomlinson beats Vince Young in the playoffs.
    Not alone. Running backs don't win games on their own anymore without help. He doesn't have a backup capable of running on Tennessee, and Rivers will do nothing but throw a couple passes near Gates which he'll make incredible catches on, and a couple that'll get intercepted.

A Magic Ham Sandwich
    BG Level

Err... didn't the chargers already prove they can beat Tennessee in the regular season?

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Quote Originally Posted by Flarega
    Err... didn't the chargers already prove they can beat Tennessee in the regular season?
    On the road...Rivers has throw 4TDs and 0 INTs last 3 games. Rivers can be a good QB...this isn't grossman. Is merriman gonna be playing?

Demosthenes11

Err... didn't vince young prove he sucks badly in the regular season?
    fixed

Ridill
    BG Level

regular season?

The announcers can say all they want about people not wanting to face Jacksonville... but nobody gave a shit about that cuz nobody wants to be dealing with Vince Young in the playoffs.

It took him 1 and a half seasons to take an 0-4 team to the playoffs. And he's 5x the player in big games he's ever been otherwise.

Demosthenes11

regular season?

The announcers can say all they want about people not wanting to face Jacksonville... but nobody gave a shit about that cuz nobody wants to be dealing with Vince Young in the playoffs.

It took him 1 and a half seasons to take an 0-4 team to the playoffs. And he's 5x the player in big games he's ever been otherwise.
    are you kidding? I'd want to play the titans over any other team in the playoffs, hands down. I'm gonna call a 45 qb rating, 60 if he gets lucky

Ridill
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes11
    regular season?

are you kidding? I'd want to play the titans over any other team in the playoffs, hands down. I'm gonna call a 45 qb rating, 60 if he gets lucky

I'm gonna call under 50 passes even if he makes it to the super bowl.

Straight Ca$h Homie
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tyche
    Agree with all cept NYG. Teams that have played the pats have a horrible record the following week. Tampa has slid, yeah, but they started resting starters like 4 weeks ago heh.
    What is it with people and such bullshit stats lol. The Giants are 7-1 on the road, they can play away from home just as good as any team in the league. This game is basically a coin toss between Plaxico Buress vs Rande Barber.

Demosthenes11

Quote Originally Posted by Deejay
    What is it with people and such bullshit stats lol. The Giants are 7-1 on the road, they can play away from home just as good as any team in the league. This game is basically a coin toss between Plaxico Buress vs Rande Barber.
    wut

Relic Horn
    BG Level

I'm going to pick all the home teams.

I just don't like Jacksonville. They may be as good as people are saying (even though I don't think so), but regardless I don't think they win in January in Pittsburgh.

San Diego by 10. I don't think it'll be much of a game, to be honest. I really don't think we'll see any Rose Bowl type heroics.

Seattle by a coin flip. This game doesn't interest me at all, neither team is going to be a contender because they're both pretty mediocre.

Tampa Bay wins due to some epic Eli fuck up. Or, so I hope.

My picks are entirely subjective, and I wouldn't bet on any of these games.

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Let the battles of mediocrity begin!

AFC
    Jacksonville (11-5) @ Pittsburgh (10-6) - I'll take the Jags, but I just have a feeling this one could go either way depending if the Steelers get their head out of their ass.

Tennessee (10-6) @ San Diego (11-5) - San Diego's gonna rock this one.

NFC
    Washington(9-7) @ Seattle (10-6) - Meh.. don't really care either way.

New York Giants (10-6) @ Tampa Bay (9-7)[/quote] - I'm pickin' the G-men in this one, because I think after the game Manning played against the Pats they're going to be encouraged. He honestly didn't have a bad game, and they lost because they just weren't able to keep up with the Pats in the second half. They should have a much easier game with the Bucs.

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes11
    Quote Originally Posted by Deejay
    wut
    lol <3

Teams are a collective 3-12 after playing the pats. Playing the pats is emotionally and physically draining. They are .500 against playoff teams on the road, and since were in the playoffs...

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I think the only road team to win will probably be the Jaguars. The Giants have a pretty good shot but I still think Eli Manning throws a late pick or a similar critical mistake to lose it to the Bucaneers. The Redskins have been playing well, but they're going into Seattle against an experienced playoff team. In Washington, I would pick the Redskins; in Seattle, I think the Seahawks win. And there's usually a rout in the first round of the playoffs; I see the Chargers beating the Titans by 2-3 touchdowns.

By the way, I looked for a playoff pick em on ESPN.com, couldn't find one, but did find another game which is salary cap based. I've done it before, it's a lot of fun. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28041

Straight Ca$h Homie
    BG Level

Teams are a collective 3-12 after playing the pats. Playing the pats is emotionally and physically draining.
    Right, because playing any other team isn't physically draining? Look at what you're saying lol.

The Pats are undefeated on days that end with a Y this season, looks like they're 100% sure to be the winners of the superbowl.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Pittsburgh over Jacksonville (it's hard to beat a good team twice).
    San Diego over Tennessee

Washington over Seattle
    Tampa Bay over New York

Incidentally I think Jacksonville could go into New England and rough them up in a foul weather game.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast