Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    MaachaQ

Re: Attention players with Compromised Accounts

Quote Originally Posted by matchuu
    I dont have my reg codes and i was put in line to speak to the managers im sure 70% of FFXI players dont have that book. Majority of ppl are college students and that usually means travel and moving your stuff. Im sure name BDay and CC info should be enough and plus they gonna ask you about your toons info as well.
    My husband must be a major computer geek... he saves ALL his software information, even if we don't use the programs anymore... Hell, I have a text file on my Palm Pilot that has all the reg codes for all 3 of our accounts, including expansions, my Quicktime reg code, Slingbox Finder ID, etc... All stuff that I'll rarely i ever need to use again, but he makes me keep handy "just in case." We've moved to Korea and did not bring the actual books with us with our codes, but we always have them around "just in case."

He's a computer programmer here and builds PCs as a hobby, so it's probably just a habit of his that may save our asses if anything did happen to go wrong with our characters... He's always been this way since I met him, so it really surprises me sometimes when I hear of people who don't do things like this ^^; how hard is it to save a text file with all that info on a flash drive, or even to take those books and lock them in a firesafe with the rest of your important documents...

Quote Originally Posted by MaachaQ
    I dont have my reg codes and i was put in line to speak to the managers im sure 70% of FFXI players dont have that book. Majority of ppl are college students and that usually means travel and moving your stuff. Im sure name BDay and CC info should be enough and plus they gonna ask you about your toons info as well.
    My husband must be a major computer geek... he saves ALL his software information, even if we don't use the programs anymore... Hell, I have a text file on my Palm Pilot that has all the reg codes for all 3 of our accounts, including expansions, my Quicktime reg code, Slingbox Finder ID, etc... All stuff that I'll rarely i ever need to use again, but he makes me keep handy "just in case." We've moved to Korea and did not bring the actual books with us with our codes, but we always have them around "just in case."

He's a computer programmer here and builds PCs as a hobby, so it's probably just a habit of his that may save our asses if anything did happen to go wrong with our characters... He's always been this way since I met him, so it really surprises me sometimes when I hear of people who don't do things like this ^^; how hard is it to save a text file with all that info on a flash drive, or even to take those books and lock them in a firesafe with the rest of your important documents...
    Well this was my first MMO, before then i had no idea RMT existed, if i knew then what i know now, i would have my books in a safe. Getting my account hacked was the last thing on my mind at the time, really never thought it would happen to me. im sure there are others just like me.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by MaachaQ

Well this was my first MMO, before then i had no idea RMT existed, if i knew then what i know now, i would have my books in a safe. Getting my account hacked was the last thing on my mind at the time, really never thought it would happen to me. im sure there are others just like me.
    For a long time you needed to have the FFXI code to create mules, back then it was reason enough for people to keep those.

To this day, I still have them all because I never discard the packaging. I got that habit because I like to keep a neat and tidy storage of the things I buy, but I guess that's just me. I keep them all, even for GB games (for these, I even keep those little plastic bags they ship the cartridges in. Also, the games look much better on my shelves if I keep the box and manual.

Also, the codes page was detachable, if I remember correctly, rather easy to store, even if you tossed the manual. Not that it will solve your problem, but I guess that not having those will make retrieval more difficult.

I guess I can't comprehend this drive to toss everything away /shrug

Thank God that they're doing the right thing now. And, thank you to everyone who wrote their opinions to SE regarding this! I don't think it would have changed if we didn't speak up so adamantly.

Can't wait to see how this all turns out, still. Definitely keep us posted.

terraflarex

Very good news indeed, but they still need to implement better security measures regarding people's accounts in the event something like this should ever happen again. But hey, at least SE is acknowledging the problem, and working on a way to correct it.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Edrick
    Thank God that they're doing the right thing now. And, thank you to everyone who wrote their opinions to SE regarding this! I don't think it would have changed if we didn't speak up so adamantly.

Can't wait to see how this all turns out, still. Definitely keep us posted.
    Did the people speaking up really make a difference? I was thinking that the thousands of accounts with false billing info that could not be charged $13+ each at the end of December was the driving impetus for this.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Yes but if everyone hadnt flooded the phonelines with 'HOLY SHIT I GOT HAXXED', discussed it and spread the word to others - who knows how many others would have been affected.

We got the ball rolling, SE decided to put some spin on it after we reached the quota of bitching on the helpcenter.

Now all we can hope is SE fixes this mess in its entirety and erects some new secure fences to keep the RMT out and the players upkeep their responsibility to keep there security as up to date as possible.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Linked this thread in our Linkshell forums for a memeber who had gotten hacked. He made the call and now has hope of getting his account back. Just wanted to say thanks for posting this.

Well after being on hold for 30 minutes i finally got a rep!. Gave her my information, she was actually really nice. She forwarded my info to her supervisor and said they would be contacting me for additional information.

I wonder how long it will be before I am contacted.

Evilillusions called today and asked a bunch of questions about the account like all jobs and there levels. They said a supervisor would be in contact with him as soon as they could... day 1 gone no call

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

question: did anyone whose account was rolled back actually have all of their money items and gil? I got my account back from the RMT because i called SE quick enough before they changed my info. So im wondering if its worth me calling them to get my stuff (ie. gaiters) back, if anyone knows it would be awesome.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

No ones been rolled back by this new move on SEs part yet i think, since the new policy hasnt been completely drawn up yet. They have a massive task of sorting people out so by mid-week we should know what they are gonna do next.

Jeny from the 'Rok
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Tomake
    question: did anyone whose account was rolled back actually have all of their money items and gil? I got my account back from the RMT because i called SE quick enough before they changed my info. So im wondering if its worth me calling them to get my stuff (ie. gaiters) back, if anyone knows it would be awesome.
    As of now, accounts are NOT being reversed or rolled back. Square-Enix is ONLY locking compromised accounts till they can figure out their next step.

You really need to be careful, people could be reading this thread and skimming over posts and most likely pick up false information from it.

If any news whatsoever about account reversal is released by SE themselves, then you'll find it on the first post of this thread, in very large, bright red letters.

MaachaQ

Am I the only one who is wondering what effect rolling back accounts is going to have on our game economy? If SE agrees to restore to you stolen gear and/or gil, I somehow doubt they would actually take those items/gil back from the people the RMT sold it to, some of the buyers being completely innocent of any crime. We could be facing a huge problem if all those stolen Manteels, Osodes, Gaiters, Novios, etc. are now basically DUPED by SE in order to make the hacked people whole again...

I know I can't be the only one thinking this, but I haven't seen anyone else posting it (at least not in the threads I've been following)...

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I don't think that will be a problem, while it's true that some big money items would be duped, most accounts' worthwhile items items were R/E. Out of the sales mules we identified, for example, out of 300ish accounts, only a few people had, for example, KC, not that many people had novio's either. Introducing a handful of dupes won't hurt the economy all that much. Gil from bot fishing did far more damage than these items could ever do.

The biggest issue facing SE is identifying a legitimately hacked account as such, then retrieve backup that pre-dates the attack. I wonder how far back their records go, and how many backups do they keep. Their most recent backup may be too late for a lot of people (no clue, just speculating).

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Handful of dupes is better to SE than a handful of lost subscription fees I'd imagine.

Really hope they get moving on restoring characters, I’ve lost 3 friends already to this on my server.

Banned.

BG Level

Anyone expecting roll-backs should reconsider or be disappointed, I foresee character restorations though.

Corwens a slot
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by BRP
    Anyone expecting roll-backs should reconsider or be disappointed, I foresee character restorations though.
    This is the correct answer.A handful of dupes? Lets imagine each account has maybe 300 or so items non rare/ex assuming they have a main character and 2-3 mules. Lets multiply that by 2000 accounts, (this is probably a lot lower than the actual) That means 600000 new items are in the game on who knows that server. Not to mention how rare some of the items that were stolen are to begin with. They will roll your character back..... and restore rare/ex items. They wont give you gil/non rare/ex back.

I am very excited to hear they are doing something to help those who were hacked.I can't wait to see the new policy they come out with in the coming week.
    Please keep everyone posted on the transpiring events as you guys begin to get your accounts back.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by Sho
    Quote Originally Posted by ronin sparthos
    Wow i never even knew that program existed. lol

So much for committing my Mog House to memory....
    It should track the last time you were logged on at your own computer.
    It shows your last log off time in the lower right hand corner.