BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Jeny from the 'Rok
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Attention players with Compromised Accounts

As some of you already know, Square-Enix has begun the lock down of compromised accounts. They are currently working on a new policy regarding this and should be in effect come mid-next week.

Earlier today I was able to call in and have my account completely locked from being accessed, as well as my boyfriend's account, Sparthos.

I advise everyone who's had their account hacked to do the same.

Don't be afraid. Call them up. They won't give you the run-around.

Just have the usual things ready with you before you call up.

-Member ID
    -Name on the account (They may ask for handle names.)
    -Date of Birth
    -Full Address
    -Playonline Registration Code (Please make sure you have this with you.)

Depending on how busy the higher ups are during the time you call, they may or may not forward you to one, but the rep/manager will ask you a few questions regarding your account such as:

-Name of your character and mules (Make sure they get the spelling correct.)
    -Name of your original server
    -Date and time you last logged in
    -Date and time you were hacked/kicked off
    -Last zone/area you were in right before you were hacked
    -Your ISP (Internet Service Provider)

Also depending on who collects this information from you, the representative will make a note to their manager to lock the account or the manager himself will lock it immediately.

Luckily I spoke to a very kind higher up and he was able to lock Jeny with no trouble at all.

One last thing they will ask for is a means of contacting you.
    Just leave them your Phone Number and E-mail address.

If you have any questions just PM me.

Good luck. <3

----------------------------------

NOTE: Square-Enix is not going to tell you to get lost just because your Address/Credit Card information has been changed. That was then. This post is now. "My account was compromised on said date" is all it takes to get their attention.

Another thing: As for character restoration/data restoration... the policy is now in full effect. SE -will- do a full character restore by request of the player. They will restore your account to a previous time before the account was compromised.

SE is trying to lock down as many reported accounts as possible for the time being before they can make the next move......with only 2 managers on the team.

I'll continue to post any updates on SE's current investigation of our accounts.

If you would like to add anything to the updates section, please let me know.

-Updates-

- Mar 28

Caution on Account Hacking.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayOnline
    Recently both ABC News and Yahoo! News have reported that over 10,000 websites have been infected by hackers in an attempt to steal the IDs and passwords used in various online games.

Based on the articles, it is apparent that hackers are heavily targeting online game accounts. As we have often reminded our players in the past, we ask that you continue to monitor and update the security of your system and Internet connection to prevent any harm caused by infected websites and malicious programs.

If you suspect your account is compromised, please contact the Information Center and provide us with the details. If your account is compromised outside Information Center business hours, please place a helpdesk call in order to contact a Game Master (GM) to report the details. Depending on your situation, we will offer all the assistance we can, including temporary login restriction to prevent any further harm, as well as instructions on how to proceed from there.

We are currently reviewing the restoration policy for players who have had their accounts compromised. Our goal is to expand the assistance towards affected players by restoring their accounts to a state that's as close as possible to the state it was in before it was compromised. Details on the restoration policy will be announced on the official web site once they become finalized. We appreciate your patience and understanding in this matter.

[Related Articles]
    ABC News:
    http://www.abcnews.go.com/Technology/PC ... id=4441255

Yahoo! News:
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20080 ... bb8T663MMF
    Full Source: http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/polnew ... 2968.shtml

-Jan 30

Account Verification Request from Square-Enix in E-mail Form.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    Dear Customer,

Per our discussion I am sending this form to you for additional verification
    regarding an account you feel has been compromised. Please fill out the
    information requested on the attached document to the best of your knowledge.
    Have a Notary Public sign and stamp the form, then mail the form to us via USPS,
    FedEx or other delivery service. We strongly recommend that you send this as
    certified mail so you will have a receipt of delivery. Once completed, please
    return the form to the address listed below.

Important: Please submit the original, notarized document only. Facsimiles /
    Copies and other electronic versions of the notarized document will not be
    accepted.

Once the form is received we will continue our investigation and contact you by
    email with further instructions or a request for additional detail if necessary.

Send To:
    PlayOnline Information Center
    999 N Sepulveda Blvd 3rd Floor
    El Segundo, CA 90245

Thank you

Note: Please do not reply to this email. For all questions or concerns relating
    to this matter please contact the PlayOnline Information Center by chat or
    phone.
    I'll be hosting the form sent with the e-mail here: http://www.jenstudios.net/FINAL_FANTASY ... RATION.pdf

Canadian Form:
    http://www.jenstudios.net/FINAL_FANTASY ... Canada.pdf

Important Notice: Regarding Compromised Accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayOnline
    Recently, it has come to Square Enix's attention that an unfortunate number of players have lost access to accounts due to their becoming compromised by a third party. As such, we have devised a process that will allow these players to regain access to their accounts.

Effective immediately, the PlayOnline Information Center will begin assisting those customers who have lost access to an account due to it being compromised. Through identity confirmation, the PlayOnline Information Center will be returning account access to the original registrant. This process is currently going into effect to help restore account access to the original registrant as quickly as possible. Once access has been regained, the customer will then be able to seek reimbursement for lost items per our current item restoration policy.

Please contact the PlayOnline Information Center immediately should you find you have lost access to an account. We cannot guarantee we can assist everyone in these cases, but we will attempt to restore account access when possible. Additionally, by contacting us as soon as possible, it will allow us to take action to limit changes to the account, and help restore access to the original registrant as quickly as possible.
    Original Link: http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/polnew ... 2495.shtml

-Jan 24

Special Task Force Report Message

Quote Originally Posted by Playonline
    As has been mentioned in previous Special Task Force reports, problems regarding third party access to players' account information have become more and more common. Even if ones account is compromised only once, all of that player's characters could be deleted and all gil and items lost.
    Viewing suspicious web sites linked on gaming websites or blogs, as well as downloading files from these sites, is believed to be the main cause of this unauthorized access. A player's computer becomes infected with a Trojan horse or keylogger and before he realizes it, his PlayOnline ID and password have been stolen.
    We are currently working on a method to restore edited account details and lost items, but there are a few preventative measures to help protect ones account. The following are a few such countermeasures that Windows users can use to protect against unauthorized access.

- Do not access websites with unknown or suspicious content.
    - Do not download software from unknown or suspicious websites.
    - Periodically perform Windows Updates and keep Windows updated to the latest version.
    *Refer to Microsoft's official website for more detailed information.
    - Periodically update your web browser to the latest version.
    - Do not use external tools not approved by Square Enix under any circumstances.
    - Always use the latest antivirus software and Internet security software.

In order to protect your data, please use the countermeasures listed above along with diligent management of your PlayOnline account.
    We would also like to remind everyone that Square Enix will never reveal PlayOnline account details to third parties.
    Full Report: http://www.playonline.com/pcd/topics/ff ... etail.html

-Jan 22

Official Compromised Account Forms?
    As confirmed by Tenken no Soujiro over on the Current list of hacked players thread, Square-Enix has an Official Compromised Account Form happening.

Many players have been calling in to check up on their accounts and even though SE promised they would lock them next day, it turns out they were never filed for investigation.

Please make sure you've filled this form out when speaking to a representative. Ask them to confirm if you're account truly is locked.

-edit-
    I'm currently on the phone with SE and there is in fact an Official Form being sent in as we speak. Even though I spoke to a manager days ago I was prompted once again to fill out a second form to be sent in for investigation.

This time a representative will go ahead and ask the above verifications. It's the same deal, just make sure it's locked and the form is sent in.

-Jan 15-16
    E-mail Recieved from Square-Enix
    SE sent out emails to users on Tuesday. Check your spam folders, because mine ended up there.

The PlayOnline Information Center
    Date:Tue, 15 Jan 2008 6:52 pm

Dear valued customer,

We understand that you have contacted us previously regarding an account you
    feel may have been compromised. Based on that information, we have taken action
    to ensure that no one will be able to access that account at this time. We will
    be contacting you at a later date with additional specific information in order
    to assist us with the continuing investigation regarding that account. We
    understand your desire to begin playing the game immediately, however we ask
    that you please be patient with us as we are working to ensure our policies will
    be useful in all aspects regarding this concern. If during this time you are
    able to produce additional information that you may feel will assist you in
    verifying the account in full per our normal account verification policies
    please do not hesitate to contact us again. Below is the information that we
    will need to verify completely with any representative you may contact. At this
    time, only the information below will allow a representative to provide
    additional details, or make changes to the account.

The full name on the account
    The correct date of birth
    The complete mailing address
    The PlayOnline registration code
    The first and last 4 digits of the current credit card

We do apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused, however we are
    working hard to ensure the account is returned to the proper user. Please be
    patient while this investigation is underway.

Note: Please do not reply to this email. Any replies received will not be
    answered. In the event you need to contact us, please contact us by phone or
    through our live chat support.

Thanks,
    =================================
    PlayOnline Information Center

For the latest news, help and support:
    1. PlayOnline Viewer main menu -> \"Information\"
    2. FINAL FANTASY XI main menu -> \"Help Desk\"
    3. Official web site: http://www.playonline.com/
    For installation and billing support issues, please call (858) 790-7529.

-Jan 11-12

It's been a week SE. Policy {Where?}!

I'm sure everyone is wondering just where is this policy Square Enix promised us. Well, yesterday it was confirmed around 5000 accounts have been reported stolen.

Now 5000 may sound unreal, who knows, maybe there are people trying to scam the system, but nevertheless 5000 accounts are in the hands of 2 NA Managers. (You'd think they would have more people on the team.) So it looks like we'll have to wait just a bit longer.

My suggestion is if you've called and locked your account (or atleast confirmed that it will be locked), then just wait for them to call back. Calling them continuously will most likely only set them back from their investigation.

To quote an SE representative my boyfriend spoke to yesterday "We will begin to call back when a resolution has been made."

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

Re: Attention players with Compromised Accounts

sticky for great justice, lets get these accounts back people, spread the word

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Took them long enough. I wasn't affected by the hackings/stealings but I think a thanks is in order for everyone who helped get SE to take action.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raiya Li'aurellia
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Asura

About time least theyre finally gettin this all sorted out! :D

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xerlic Jilrak
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Are they reimbursing players for the millions of gil that the RMTs stole in order to sell for money? While this is a step in the right direction and certainly better than their original policy regarding the matter, it might be too little too late for some people who have had their accounts completely stripped.

Jeny from the 'Rok
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Xerlic
    Are they reimbursing players for the millions of gil that the RMTs stole in order to sell for money? While this is a step in the right direction and certainly better than their original policy regarding the matter, it might be too little too late for some people who have had their accounts completely stripped.
    All I know is that they are currently in the process of locking down accounts. I honestly have no idea what the next step will be.

I do believe SE has the chance of rolling back characters to a certain point in time, so it may not be too late at all. We'll just have to wait a little bit longer and see what develops.

One thing at a time, I say.

Galkasaur
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I would hope that if they are asking for information such as the date/time the account was hacked that it would be for the purpose of rolling the account back to that date.

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Thank god you can at least get your account back. Understandable that millions of gil may have been striped from alot of these characters, but at least you can be sure all of your R/E should be intact.

I advise people with striped characters and knowledge of what was taken to use AltanaCubby. (http://longtear.hp.infoseek.co.jp/altanacubby.html) Site should be secure, but mods can feel free to delete the link if needed. AC tracks all your previously accessed POL accts and gives you a list of the items that are on your characters, and mules.

Small example of an acct:

http://longtear.hp.infoseek.co.jp/im...c03e_icons.png

Hope this helps, glad to see SE finally take some action on this matter.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Wow i never even knew that program existed. lol

So much for committing my Mog House to memory....

Jeny from the 'Rok
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Sho
    Thank god you can at least get your account back. Understandable that millions of gil may have been striped from alot of these characters, but at least you can be sure all of your R/E should be intact.

I advise people with striped characters and knowledge of what was taken to use AltanaCubby. (http://longtear.hp.infoseek.co.jp/altanacubby.html) Site should be secure, but mods can feel free to delete the link if needed. AC tracks all your previously accessed POL accts and gives you a list of the items that are on your characters, and mules.

Small example of an acct:

http://longtear.hp.infoseek.co.jp/im...c03e_icons.png

Hope this helps, glad to see SE finally take some action on this matter.
    This is rather sexy.

Do you think some of us will be able to get around the "gimme your full address information please" thing. Along with my CC info, the Address was changed, so I'm hoping that doesn't put a nail in my coffin.

Jeny from the 'Rok
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Manalek
    Do you think some of us will be able to get around the "gimme your full address information please" thing. Along with my CC info, the Address was changed, so I'm hoping that doesn't put a nail in my coffin.
    Once again, my address did not match when I called on Friday, but they still passed me on to a manager.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

This is good news...hopefully the policy will be in effect this week.

Question about the AltanaCubby thing. Does that read some local file on your computer to get your inventory, that is only updated when you log on/off the game?

I ask this because it seems like all my gear (on main & mules) is there. So I assume that it is a snapshot of what was there when I last logged off, and not what is left after RMT have had their way.

Jeny from the 'Rok
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by grover
    This is good news...hopefully the policy will be in effect this week.

Question about the AltanaCubby thing. Does that read some local file on your computer to get your inventory, that is only updated when you log on/off the game?

I ask this because it seems like all my gear (on main & mules) is there. So I assume that it is a snapshot of what was there when I last logged off, and not what is left after RMT have had their way.
    It's just recorded data from when you last logged in/off.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Wizerd
    Took them long enough. I wasn't affected by the hackings/stealings but I think a thanks is in order for everyone who helped get SE to take action.
    In all honesty, I am amazed that they moved this quickly.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Regarding registration codes.... I definitely have lost my reg. codes... Without them am I helpless? it's been nearly 5 years.

Jeny from the 'Rok
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Katoke
    Regarding registration codes.... I definitely have lost my reg. codes... Without them am I helpless? it's been nearly 5 years.
    May want to try looking for them. They'll probably let it slip but they do help in verifying your account. :/

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I haven't lost my account however I am fairly scared in the event my account does get compromised..

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by ronin sparthos
    Wow i never even knew that program existed. lol

So much for committing my Mog House to memory....
    It should track the last time you were logged on at your own computer.

I dont have my reg codes and i was put in line to speak to the managers im sure 70% of FFXI players dont have that book. Majority of ppl are college students and that usually means travel and moving your stuff. Im sure name BDay and CC info should be enough and plus they gonna ask you about your toons info as well.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast