BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chocobo Raising     submit to reddit submit to twitter

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Chocobo Raising

After doing horibly on chocobo betting and racing with my existing bird, I deciced to try my hand at raising a new chick. Sadly, it gained nothing from it's parents, which I thought had great stats... but I digress.

Since Chocobo Raising has been out for quite some time, can any of you experts out there give me any tips as to how to raise my bird so it has great physical stats, but doesn't end up having crap for mental(IE like my last bird). Are there any tricks to getting a chocobo tha can compete in, say, the C1 and have a chance to win? I'm planing on learning Gallop and Canter, is this the best plan?

Any advice, from food to care plans would be appreciated.

Oh and... I used search and didn't find anything... hopefully it's okay to place this in the advanced area because I'm trying for something specific... Thanks in advance and sorry if I screwed up.

Re: Chocobo Raising

Quote Originally Posted by Tarage
    After doing horibly on chocobo betting and racing with my existing bird, I deciced to try my hand at raising a new chick. Sadly, it gained nothing from it's parents, which I thought had great stats... but I digress.

Since Chocobo Raising has been out for quite some time, can any of you experts out there give me any tips as to how to raise my bird so it has great physical stats, but doesn't end up having crap for mental(IE like my last bird). Are there any tricks to getting a chocobo tha can compete in, say, the C1 and have a chance to win? I'm planing on learning Gallop and Canter, is this the best plan?

Any advice, from food to care plans would be appreciated.

Oh and... I used search and didn't find anything... hopefully it's okay to place this in the advanced area because I'm trying for something specific... Thanks in advance and sorry if I screwed up.
    People still raise chocos?

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I do, but the only thing I do is feed it 3 gysahl greens a day, and choose either str or int based abilities to raise. MAYBE when I get enough chocobucks I'll raise a chocobo that is decent in all stats.

Chocobo raising is boring as hell though....having to go to stables every day is a pain.

Banned.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Catrina
    I do, but the only thing I do is feed it 3 gysahl greens a day, and choose either str or int based abilities to raise. MAYBE when I get enough chocobucks I'll raise a chocobo that is decent in all stats.

Chocobo raising is boring as hell though....having to go to stables every day is a pain.

They should let you skip cutscenes solo ;/.

I've finding myself having a hard time with C4 races even with a race decent chocobo, I think it's because I have little receptivity which makes me a target in a race where everyone seems to be more intent of enfeebling than winning. I haven't done it very recently though. Betting is a waste of time.

It's been a while. I hope my information is correct. If not someone can correct me, I hope.

General, crude overview:

Your chocobo starts out at 1/1/1/1 in terms of each of the four stats. 22 is the cap in total number of points your chocobo can have. For example, my chocobo is 8/8/5/1, with Gallop and Canter.

In terms of raising, I raised my bird with emphasis on the physical attributes. When it was a baby, I fed it carrot paste. When it was an adult, I fed it Vomp Carrots. Between doing this, and the delivering care packages plan, your chocobo should hit 8/8/1/1 without a problem. (18 assignable points, 4 left over)

At this point, I switched to feeding my bird Zegham Carrots for mental boosts and made it dig for treasure to boost its discernment. I was able to get it to 8/8/2/1 this way. If you're looking for a bird with receptivity, you might want to try exhibiting to the public for 8/8/2/2. Both methods are risky though, because once you start focusing on your chocobo's mental stats, its physical stats go down; make sure your physical stats have a buffer before you start working on the mental ones.

At this point, your bird should be able to place second in races against the game-generated "Free Races" for chocobucks. A first place win nets you 5 chocobucks, second place win nets you 3 chocobucks, and a fourth place win nets you 1. This is important because 80 chocobucks will let you buy training packages for your bird, and it's how you raise your bird so you don't have to try to have some physical/mental balance. It'll take a few training packages to raise your bird's a stat level, with more packages being required the higher you go.

My bird was at 8/8/4/1 with a bursting with intelligence day (or whatever it's called) when he learned Canter. Gallop is fairly easy to learn, and should be done once your bird has even a little discernment.

Be warned, it's a very long process. It requires daily effort and a decent chunk of gil to successfully raise a racing chocobo.

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Decent chunk of gil? I'm raising one now and it's fairly cheap. Only hard part was salad for stupid lovesickness. -.-

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

cheap as in how much? I bet your definition of cheap and mine differ if you're saying raising an actual good racing chocobo is cheap. (but then again, maybe I was 'doin it rong')

chocobo raising sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Not Kuno
    Decent chunk of gil? I'm raising one now and it's fairly cheap. Only hard part was salad for stupid lovesickness. -.-
    Granted, probably cheaper to do so now, and I've always been a bit Scroogey with my finances. But things like speed apples, daily races, foods, etc... all pile up; especially when you're doing it every day.