• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
    Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Updating nVidia drivers on a laptop.....

Just a quick question.

Recently updated my MacBook Pro's drivers via LaptopVideo2Go to run Gears of War (which ran surprisingly well), but one thing that's been nagging me is that some of my nVidia control panel options no longer work like they did prior to the driver update.

Anyways, I used the 'have disk' method to install the drivers on my laptop. Is that all there is to do for installation, or did I have to install the actual nVidia app as well with the swapped INF file for my panel to begin functioning proper again?
    (my main pet peeve is that it ignores my PowerMizer setting, which basically means my laptop's performance gets raped when not plugged in)

[EDIT] Guess I'll squeeze in another question: Anyone recommend a good temperature/fan monitoring tool? This laptop gets fucking hot at times and I wouldn't mind knowing if it's within safe levels of the hardware, or if this thing is going to die just shortly after my warrenty expires. ;/

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Re: Updating nVidia drivers on a laptop.....

When you download the drivers from Nvidia they should self-extract, meaning you shouldn't have to use the "have disk" feature. I'd download the pack for your card again and let it install, and it should update the software for you.

A good temp monitoring program is Speedfan. That doesn't work on Vista, other options are Rivatuner or Everest.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Re: Updating nVidia drivers on a laptop.....

So I let it install normally with the inf swap then? Will give it a shot and see how it goes.....

[EDIT] gdi, it's still throttling the CPU/GPU back when unplugged regardless of my setting. /sigh

Perhaps it's just this specific set of drivers I'm using that has issues with it....guess I'll find out when the next release comes out.