• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Favorite / Least Favorite Sports Announcer/Analyst

Quote Originally Posted by Tyche
    I really doubt hockey fans make up 2% of the demograph he's talking to. This goes for just about every ESPN radio show though. I can't recall the last time tirico or mike and mike broke down hockey.
    I don't deny that. That's why people here in Buffalo keep asking the program manager of our local sports station to stop airing Colin Cowhert.

ESPN in general doesn't really care much for Hockey. They'll do the occasional highlight on Sports Center, but they'll absolutely butcher (either they'll misprounouce the name or get it wrong altogether) the names of players. You can tell they don't really care for the sport.

Black Belt
    BG Level

Jerry Glanville was the absolute worse when he was still doing it.

only one i really hate now is Madden.

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Yes it is true, ESPN tends to shy away from Hockey for whatever reason, but to their credit to do work in Barry Melrose's gently flowing mullet from time to time.

Someone I forgot to mention, who is the announcer that does FIFA matches, Worldcup events? He is the short Irish guy with glasses? Bald? He looks like a little leprechaun minus the green suit, the clover and the 10 game losing streak...

His name escapes me currently.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I actually work with Brian Baldinger, but I have yet to hear him call a game.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Trichocyst
    I actually work with Brian Baldinger, but I have yet to hear him call a game.

Oh wow. I like his voice and delivery, but he is one of those that gets caught up on Favre, Brady etc... I was watching the Bears game last weekend and being the Purdue fan I am was rooting for Kyle Orton right? So Orton is playing really well and he over throws Berrian and Baldinger goes off on this tangent about how Brady could have stuck that throw and the differences between Orton and Brady. I mean, who the fuck compares Kyle Orton and Tom Brady on an errant throw for 10 mins?

That is just one of the many examples that come to mind.

Let's go Red Sox!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mizango
    Someone I forgot to mention, who is the announcer that does FIFA matches, Worldcup events? He is the short Irish guy with glasses? Bald? He looks like a little leprechaun minus the green suit, the clover and the 10 game losing streak...

Tommy Smith?

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

He's a very enthusiastic guy and nothing short of a class act but most of the people around here are sometimes baffled at things he says (really we're often baffled by a lot of things said on air here). He's really into guys who used to play for NFL Europe since that's where he got his start. He has a $1,000 bet going with my producer that Will Svitek will be pro-bowl OL by 2009. At one point like a month ago he had me doing research about Kyle Orton and I'm trying to remember what about exactly but I've had to compare a lot of quarterbacks to Tom Brady.

One of my all time favorite moments working here was sitting on the voice over for Game of the Week with Scott Graham one of the weeks where Favre broke a record and as the segment was going to commercial break the Packers announcer goes, "BRETT FAVRE IS LITERALLY ON FIRE!" And the entire room full of producers (who are all essentially writers) burst into laughter and tore that guy up.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Oh while I'm at it I'd like to throw some hometown love to Merrill Reese.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

He's a very enthusiastic guy and nothing short of a class act but most of the people around here are sometimes baffled at things he says (really we're often baffled by a lot of things said on air here). He's really into guys who used to play for NFL Europe since that's where he got his start. He has a $1,000 bet going with my producer that Will Svitek will be pro-bowl OL by 2009.

You hit the nail right square on the head. He does alot of Panther games and that is all I hear about Jake Delhomme.

Quote Originally Posted by Viq

Tommy Smith?
    Yes! That's the guy.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

You should hear the way we talk about David Carr around here. I once did research to prove how ineffective Carr was by comparing his stats to Testaverde and Delhomme in utilizing Steve Smith.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

You should hear the way we talk about David Carr around here. I once did research to prove how ineffective Carr was by comparing his stats to Testaverde and Delhomme in utilizing Steve Smith.
    I see it first hand from week to week lol.

Ian Eagle, the Jets play by play guy is pretty good, makes listening to Jets games exciting even though they suck.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Lou Holtz.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

Hubie Brown, Jack Ramsay, Stephen A. Smith, Steve Kerr, Mark Jackson all suck.

Jeff Van Gundy is really good and funny though so he kinda offsets Mark Jackson sucking.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

I can't stand the MNF football guys, and the worst however; is the NFL Network guys when they announce a game. I think Cris Collensworth isn't that bad, but holy shit does the Gumble suck it.

I'm not a big fan of Randy Cross and Phil Simms, they seem to hate Pittsburgh no matter who they're playing. Also the Redskin's radio guys are by far the biggest hommers I've ever heard ever. Sonny and Theisman ... listening to them makes me want to punt kittens.

I like listening to Bob Poppa, even though I'm not a Giants fan, the guys from Pittsburgh on KDKA are amazing.
    I'm bad with names, sorry.

Straight Ca$h Homie
    BG Level

Simms is an idiot. Can't believe I forgot him.

Skip fucking Bayless makes me want to kill orphans. I'd probably put Charles Barkley, Brian Baldinger (NFL announcer on Fox) and Jim Rome up there with him on my list of nuisances.

PTI is made of win though.
    Yeah I actually like Kornheiser on PTI, I love the show. He is totally a different person when bantering back and forth with Wilbon than he is when in the MNF booth, where his lack of expression and emotion makes his suckiness there even more severe.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Norelco
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyche
    Quote Originally Posted by Norelco
    Colin Cowhert sucks.
    Big ten fan? Anywho, as I said, the dude picks college games against the spread better than anyone on the radio (cept erik kusselius, come back plz ).
    Naw. They air his ESPN radio show here in Buffalo from 11 to noon every day before Rome. I just hate his voice, I hate his sense of humor, and he constantly bags on the sport of Hockey, which is a big no-no. People here in Buffalo are Hockey-crazy, including me.
    Colin is great imo. Most of his opinions are spot on. He just talks about things that make people feel uncomfortable (and lolBig 10). Sorry to burst your bubble but with the exception of Buffalo and maybe a few other northern cold weather cities, Hockey is a fucking joke in the rest of the Country. He is right about that one too.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Andarvi
    Skip fucking Bayless makes me want to kill orphans. I'd probably put Charles Barkley, Brian Baldinger (NFL announcer on Fox) and Jim Rome up there with him on my list of nuisances.

PTI is made of win though.
    Yeah I actually like Kornheiser on PTI, I love the show. He is totally a different person when bantering back and forth with Wilbon than he is when in the MNF booth, where his lack of expression and emotion makes his suckiness there even more severe.

My thoughts exactly.

Let's go Red Sox!
    BG Level

My new least favorite people are the BBWAA members that sent in blank Hall of Fame ballots to protest the steroid era. Jim Rice missed the HoF by 14 votes. Way to punish a guy for playing baseball the way you want it played, geniuses.