BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xerlic Jilrak
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Low Level WAR questions

I decided to level WAR as my next 75. Whenever I level a new job, I like to plan out the equipment progressions ahead of time. 70-75 seems pretty obvious as far as gear selection, but I have a couple questions going from 37-70.

1. Is there a typical progression for axes, great axes, and swords? Also, what's the best setup to use nowadays? I read the Axe/Greataxe thread that someone posted a few weeks ago in newbie, and ppl seem to say that Gaxe is the way to go with the 2h update especially once you get Raging Rush. Is Bloodsword worth using?

2. This sounds kind of newb since I have MNK at 75, but how do you determine if +STR is better than +Attack for WS gear for Rampage and Raging Rush? I never really bothered with +STR gear for MNK since most MNKs told me that +attack and +acc was the way to go with asuran, but it only has a 10% modifier. For example, would I use voyager's sallet over valkyrie's mask for WS? I understand the tradeoff for acc is you want to keep as much acc as possible to consistently land all hits and then start swapping in str/attk gear.

3. Is any of the AF worth getting outside of the feet?

4. If axe/sword is viable, how should I do merits? Like if I plan to use bloodsword at 57 and then later on Joyeuse, would it be wise to cap my sword now to help with xp? I can do sword now, but I can't do axe since my RNG is only 73. =/ 8 of my combat slots are already used for h2h.

Thanks.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Ghostlands

Re: Low Level WAR questions

Axe, GA or sword..

if u want to use them all u will end up not caping any fast, so use GA if u got a good tank that can keep hate, other wiss dual axe is the way to go, and maybe using high dmg axe as main and low delay axe as secondery that would even better.

STR vs ATT..

(2 STR = 1 ATT + 1 RATT) thats means [Foucs] on att and acc if u can

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ferien Terzo
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

1- There was, but the 2H changes threw the whole thing out the window. The way it used to be was: Horror Voulge > (CC Axe +2) > Viking Axes (at either 48 or 50, depending on whether or not you want to wait for DW2) > Darksteel Axe +1/Viking > Tungi/Viking > Francisca/Tungi > Acha d'Armas/Tungi > Endgame Axes. Sword is only viable compared to axes if you're leveling into full merits, in which case you'd use T.M.Espadon (+2) until 55, Axes until you get Vorpal > Bastard Sword (+1) > Espadon (+1) > Juggy. Don't use Bloodsword. At 55 you should be using an Axe in your mainhand, and Viking is a much better offhand. Even with full Sword merits, by the time you get access to Vorpal Blade, you can wear better Swords than Bloodsword.

For Great Axes, the progression is pretty simple. If the new one has a higher base damage and/or gives you more STR, switch. The endgame Great Axes finally give you some good stat boosts, and you'll want Rune, Rampager, Fortitude, and Perdu, and if you can't get Perdu, Berserker's or Byakko's. Martial Bhuj for HNM stuff only, generally. Since the changes, Great Axe beats out Axes on the way up to 75, especially if you can use a proper subjob.

2- Make sure you have enough acc to consistently land full or DA'd Rampages before you worry about STR, Attack, and DEX. For Raging Rush, STR and DEX are slightly more important due to their increased effect on Attack and Acc. Remember: both Rampage and RR are crit-based, so DEX will do more for you than just add Acc.

3- Hands are an ok ws piece, and legs aren't terrible, but the legs are easily replaced (and look hideous), and the body and head are useless unless you're like...kiting something.

4- I already had Sword merits from PLD when I leveled WAR, and honestly, if you're not dinging into a merit every chance you get, 2 Axes will serve you better until 70. Once you're at 70, the merits are really personal preference. Full Sword will help if you have a Ridill, but comes out on par with full Axe with just a Joyeuse. However, the only Dual Wield setups better than Jugg/Joy from 70-73 regardless of your merits are Jugg/Rid and Rid/Joy (or Rid+anything, for that matter), so I guess you should take that into consideration. If you have or will be leveling another job that can make use of Sword merits, go for it, else just use Great Axe or Axes.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xerlic Jilrak
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Thanks a lot.