+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FFXI Lag Issues     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

FFXI Lag Issues

I'm not quite sure what exactly is the issue with my computer, or if it's ffxi or on SE's Server side.

I do get the usual lag in whitegate and sometimes in lower jeuno, but it's becoming increasingly more prevalent when I go to places like Wajoam Woodlands or Caedarva Mire, or even simply at a BCNM fight. I've done pretty much everything to speed up my computer, cleaned out my registry with a registry cleaner, removed whatever spyware/adaware was on my computer, defragmented my hard drive, added more memory (now currently at 1.5 GB DDRAM) and a new video card (Nvidia Geforce 6200 256MB). I also turn off any background programs like WinAmp or Veoh TV (anime downloads).

I'm also running Time Warner's Roadrunner that I show to have a 8 MBPS connection speed, more than sufficient for FFXI. I really don't get WHY I'm lagging so bad, even with lower settings on the graphics end.

Current Computer specs

P4 2.8
    1.5 GB DDRAM
    256 MB Nvidia 6200 Card
    150 GB 7200 RPM HD
    No sound card (I'm deaf, so really no point in it at present)
    Windows XP Professional OS

Can anyone possibly help me pinpoint the problem?

Thanks!

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Re: FFXI Lag Issues

Your specs are fine to run FFXI. I would either consider lowering your resolution and playing windowed to see if that helps with the lag. Don't forget to lower your background resolution from the FFXI Config as well. You might also consider lowering your graphic settings. Turn off footstep effects, shadows, stuff like that. If you're still getting the same lag it might be some other problem with your computer, it's hard to say really.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Isn't the 6200 an late 04 model video card?

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Yup, but I got it brand new from Fry's electronics (my computer uses an AGP video slot) for 40 bucks, and I figure why not? I was using a 128 MB Nvidia 5200 card. Yes, I'm well aware it's a bit antique in terms of computer age, but it served me just fine.

If anything, the 5200 before it kind of "died" performed a lot better than my 6200 card, could be just my own perceptions though. I could fork over the dough for a new computer, but I really rather not just get another just to play ffxi. (I have a Mac G5 for my work and my fiancee has a PowerBook, so the PC is the only thing that's "PC" in the house.)

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Zansho
    Yup, but I got it brand new from Fry's electronics (my computer uses an AGP video slot) for 40 bucks, and I figure why not? I was using a 128 MB Nvidia 5200 card. Yes, I'm well aware it's a bit antique in terms of computer age, but it served me just fine.

If anything, the 5200 before it kind of "died" performed a lot better than my 6200 card, could be just my own perceptions though. I could fork over the dough for a new computer, but I really rather not just get another just to play ffxi. (I have a Mac G5 for my work and my fiancee has a PowerBook, so the PC is the only thing that's "PC" in the house.)
    Couldn't you use bootcamp to load windows on your Mac, and try FFXI on it?

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Well Nividia and FFXI do not like each other. So that might be the reason why. I had an old card on a system when I updated the drivers FFXI played like crap. I had to uninstall the drivers and reinstall the certain one I was previously using and it played fine again.