• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
    Smells like Onions
    BG Level

I'm not sure if anyone has yet encountered a similar problem

My in-game settings do not remain changed as I change them whenever I zone into a new area. This includes music and sound effects volume, macros, and various filters. I recently upgraded to Windows Vista and a new PC, and I'm not doing anything differently on this computer than I was on my previous one, yet I am in vexed straits. If anyone here has been in a comparable situation, do divulge your findings, please.

23 years old
    Rating: total douchebag

BG Level

Re: I'm not sure if anyone has yet encountered a similar problem

Not enough SAT words, imposter acccount.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ryko
    What desperate wretch would want to impersonate me? Inasmuch as I'd love to include terminology that has more syllables than anacondas have vertebrae as per my usual modus operandi, I decided to try to keep my openings posts on here as succinct as possible until I can feel my way around more effectively, or as the youth of nowadays puts it, "lurk moar".

Quote Originally Posted by Seigrith
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryko
    What desperate wretch would want to impersonate me? Inasmuch as I'd love to include terminology that has more syllables than anacondas have vertebrae as per my usual modus operandi, I decided to try to keep my openings posts on here as succinct as possible until I can feel my way around more effectively, or as the youth of nowadays puts it, "lurk moar".
    I like this guy already.

As to the issue at hand, have you tried the simple, but terribly painful, reinstall of FFXI?

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Guy in my chat LS sorta talks like this 24/7, getting annoying after a few years though >.> Still kinda ok I guess.

Uh, run check files in POL?

PS. Post more in general/FFXI advance sections, and see what everyone does in a panic seeing someone using big words.

We need new posters with reasonable intellect to counterbalance spam.

An Efficient Consumption Bundle
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elyise Thierremont
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Muradin

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothYuyX
    Guy in my chat LS sorta talks like this 24/7, getting annoying after a few years though >.> Still kinda ok I guess.

Uh, run check files in POL?

PS. Post more in general/FFXI advance sections, and see what everyone does in a panic seeing someone using big words.
    Regarding the post script: "tits, cocl or gtfo"

Running a file check should definitely be your first step in investigating this problem. Hopefully that will turn up a corrupted file or two. The problem you're having sounds similar to what happens when you don't properly log out of the game. Any changes to game settings, macros, and the like are lost. The same will happen if you use the Windower's console 'quit' command. I've never heard of this kind of thing happening when zoning though.

Are you running the Windower, or just the regular POL boot (in FFXI's windowed mode or not)?

And as an aside to the OP: If my Business Writing and Communications prof saw your post he would tear his eyes out :bagel:

Here's a thought, probably not right, but perhaps certain POL files/folders have ended up set as read only?

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Shuemue
    Here's a thought, probably not right, but perhaps certain POL files/folders have ended up set as read only?
    One deft slice with Occam's Razor has rendered my problem cleft in twain. Thank you.

I had a moment of clarity and recalled that the last time I installed FFXI, I used the method of dragging an updated folder on top of a fresh install and it being set read only. Glad it was a simple fix!