Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A NM spawning idea     submit to reddit submit to twitter

A NM spawning idea

Hey all,
    The muse struck me with an idea recently that I want to see what your reaction to it is.

What if each zone had statically located points where if you traded the proper amount of beastman seals, one of the zone's NM's would spawn (so long as it is not already out). Each zone would have as many of these points as it has time/lottery spawn NM's and each point would spawn only one of the NM's. Now the amount needed to spawn an NM would be some function of either its level, rarity, etc, so that the price wouldn't be too cheap and therefore make the original spawns COMPLETELY obsolete.

Now, optionally, this could have an overbid system where each seal above the required minimum would increase the chances of rarer items dropping. Without overbidding, your just fighting the same NM that's time/lottery spawned. The value of each beastman seal above minimum would have to be looked into and might not have universal worth per spawn point. The overbid system could also be built to only effect Rare/Ex items so that this wouldn't become an easily abusable Golden Goose.

An implementation option to the overbid system would be that yes, you can trade more seals to improve your chances of getting an item, the NM also becomes more powerful. How much more powerful to how much more likely to get the good loot would need to be worked out and limits need to be set so that you couldn't spawn a level 145 Jaggedy-Eared Jack that would drop rabbit charm 100% of the time.

The NM would spawn claimed by whomever traded the seals so that no one else to opportunistically steal the spawn. Also, the actual list of which NM could be spawned this way may only be a subset of the lottery/time spawn as some just might be beyond ill-advisable (i.e. a point for Padfoot or Carmine Dobsonflies where all 4/10 of them spawned, all claimed by you, possibly juiced up, and seeking your demise? That could easily become... messy). But hey, this COULD be implemented for the HNM's and if so, would relieve the HNM scene greatly (OMG, relieve the HNM scene by giving them more chances to get what they want? HERESY!!!).

Now this idea is completely in the alpha stages and would require far more polish. Constructive criticism and feedback welcome and appreciated, flames are unfortunately expected and will be sloughed off accordingly.

Edit: took out a negation that made a confusing sentence ><.

They're just like us
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Re: A NM spawning idea

Its a decent idea.

Having said that, in before "But your still going to go 0/130 on XXX"
    (But I like this idea, it gets rid of those useless fucking seals in my house if only for popping Rare/Ex NM's)

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Sounds good to me

it seems interesting, but i'm supposing that your aim is faf/nid, kb, and aspid. bc's already exist to fight them as it is so i'm worried it would make them redundant. if you're looking for ways to deal with cerb/khim (and hydra i guess but...well...yeah. lolhydra.) i would rather see it go in the direction of an instanced fight with IS or KS as a cost of entrance. seems logical as KS are base/zilart era, and IS are ToAU era. as for the grand wyrms (alright, let's be serious here, tiamat) i could see those being added to ENMs. there are multiple ways to do this, either be it an alternative use for a cloud evoker, just use the same timer as a normal ENM for a zone (say tim was added to boneyard. just adds tim as an ABC option, same as any other), or use the same key item but put a longer cooldown on it (say 14 days or something, though that seems a bit extreme.) as you said, your ideas are pure conjecture, as are mine. while they're less likely to be implemented than a "supermodels for geeks" program, it's still fun to devise potential solutions to the overcompetition problem for NMs.

New Merits
    BG Level

I've always felt the pure timer repops were such lazy design.

FF12 has dozens of NMs and there's usually some cute gimmick to spawn it, like clearing an area of one monster type without touching the others, or walking a precise path from one point to another, etc.

Camping in FF11 often makes me forget it's supposed to be a game for amusement. o_O;

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Sounds like a better system to me, especially if a party could pool seals.

Of course, they won't adjust old content like that.

Everybody's Favourite Nobody
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Tulun
    Old content is perfect, there is no need for adjustments.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Certain things I wouldnt mind adjusting, but if the past has shown us anything, when we complain it is too hard to get something, they (might) give us a new way of getting it which is 10x harder, or has a 1/1097463 drop rate.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Metah
    Quote Originally Posted by Tulun
    Old content is flawed, there is a huge need for adjustments.
    fixed

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

fixed
    Might want to fix the sarcasm detector too >.>b

I think this is one of many possible solutions to one aspect of NMs. Drop rates, to an extent, are also a problem.

For example, Cargo Crab Colin...why should it take multiple kills to get a Nadrs? I mean, really. A freaking Joyeuse is a 100% drop, and that sword took me 14 CCC kills to get? Where's the logic there?

MMOs are gonna have timesinks, but they shouldn't be so blatantly obvious like many FFXI NMs. Better design wouldn't have you never seeing an NM or walking away completely empty-handed.

Perhaps a different route towards the same end would be to make more things like Nyzul Isle that effectively duplicate drops. I think appraised items in general could really use a much higher rate of non-crappiness (maybe not the best drop, but some decent stuff in the middle would ease the pain a little).

Still, I think it's a decent model to build off of. Put more copies of NMs and things along the way in different events with chances to drop their stuff, maybe directly. Include HNMs in that possibly.

But of course, that kind of thinking by SE seems to spawn things like Einherjar.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

Quote Originally Posted by sleekmotorwurkz
    Certain things I wouldnt mind adjusting, but if the past has shown us anything, when we complain it is too hard to get something, they (might) give us a new way of getting it which is 10x harder, or has a 1/1097463 drop rate.

Or do this like they did to Sozu...

0/80 on patch day never did get a "Real" knife, now its easy, 100% drop, no thrill, no rush, no accomplishment...

Leave NM's the fuck alone, SE can't "Fix" them, they nerf them.