• Navigation
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Re: 2008 NFL Superbowl: New York Giants vs. New England Patriots

The Giants are the best road team in football currently, the patriots are the best all around team now, and probably of all time. Everyone was so conviced Green Bay was going to destroy the Giants and thats not exactly how it went, they played a very close game. For anyone to think its impossible for the Giants to win is retarded regardless of what any stat or combination of stats will tell you. Eli Manning has played like shit, gets into the playoffs and turns around after Shockey breaks his leg (Possibly what allowed the giants to make it).

No opposing team ever made a FG of over 40 yards in Lambo and they did that, even though Tynes is shit. So I think its going to be just a close as it was in the last game of the regular season, looking at a 3 point difference between the teams, and of course, going Giants. If you think its gonna be a blowout based on stats, go watch the last game of the regular season again.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Tyche
    Back in the 70's there were several absurdly good teams. No cap allowed teams to keep their players and just stack up. Oakland, Pittsburgh, Dolphins, Dallas (in the later years)...The pats have one team to worry about year in and year out...If the pats had to play teams as good as the colts a few times a year, I doubt they'd be undefeated...
    This is not really accurate. There weren't several absurdly good teams, there were just a plethora of really shitty ones. The undefeated Dolphins opponents had a winning % under .400 lol. There are way more above average teams now then there were in the 70's. There was just a few dynasty like teams back then that made it seem like there were serveral.

Edit:I have been a Giants fan my whole life so I guess I will pick them. However, as many have mentioned realistically they will have to play perfectly and have New England make uncharicteristic mistakes. TBH I love the Giants but I highly doubt they will win. I do believe they will cover however.

If the pats get beat by the giants (who are obviously a lesser team than the colts) how can you put them in the same category!?!?

And no, the colts aren't the patriots, but they aren't far off. I honestly believe a healthy colts team would beat a healthy pats team 40-50% of the times they play. I think that's reasonable. I think the greenbay and dallas would beat the pats probably closer to 10-15% of the time. The chargers beating the colts is largely unimportant, as I wouldn't think any less of the pats if they lost sunday. They are just a team that lost to an inferior team, it happens a lot in the NFL. The difference between the best team (the pats) and the worst team (the dolphins) isn't as much as it is in other leagues, like baseball.
    I would agree with that. A 100% healthy Peyton, Addai, Wayne, Clark, Harrison, Sanders, etc... Is one fucking great squad and while not as good as the Pats could beat them a good amount of the time. I would agree with 40%. Maybe 35% at the least.

Demosthenes11

arguing 100% is dumb. No team is ever 100%, ever. Patriots are missing a few guys and have a few hobblers too. It's called football

Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes11
    arguing 100% is dumb. No team is ever 100%, ever. Patriots are missing a few guys and have a few hobblers too. It's called football
    For fucks sake its a hypothetical situation. Stop trying to make pointless arguments.

Demosthenes11

Quote Originally Posted by Andarvi
    For fucks sake its a hypothetical situation. Stop trying to make pointless arguments.
    no, a pointless argument is arguing the impossible...which is what you are doing

Quote Originally Posted by Andarvi
    no, a pointless argument is arguing the impossible...which is what you are doing
    No, you do this all the time, and its annoying. Fine, a "healthy" colts vs a "healthy" pats team, is that better? No % associated.

The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Quote Originally Posted by Kayos
    Back in the 70's there were several absurdly good teams. No cap allowed teams to keep their players and just stack up. Oakland, Pittsburgh, Dolphins, Dallas (in the later years)...The pats have one team to worry about year in and year out...If the pats had to play teams as good as the colts a few times a year, I doubt they'd be undefeated...
    This is not really accurate. There weren't several absurdly good teams, there were just a plethora of really shitty ones. The undefeated Dolphins opponents had a winning % under .400 lol. There are way more above average teams now then there were in the 70's. There was just a few dynasty like teams back then that made it seem like there were serveral.

Edit:I have been a Giants fan my whole life so I guess I will pick them. However, as many have mentioned realistically they will have to play perfectly and have New England make uncharicteristic mistakes. TBH I love the Giants but I highly doubt they will win. I do believe they will cover however.

This is not really accurate, as the cowboys of the late 70's sent their team to the superbowl 3 of 4 years in the late 70's (when pitt went 4 of 6). The dolphins still went undefeated and were still a good team consistently in the 70's. They did go to three superbowls in that era, not just 1. I don't think I have to mention the raiders of then. There was just more really really good teams year in and year out back then.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

my prediction is that during pregame warm ups rodney harrison suffers from a fit of roid rage and accidentally kills Tom Brady during a routine headbut . as a result matt cassel throws 4 pick 6s and gives the giants the edge they need to win. giants 31 pats 24.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

This is not really accurate, as the cowboys of the late 70's sent their team to the superbowl 3 of 4 years in the late 70's (when pitt went 4 of 6). The dolphins still went undefeated and were still a good team consistently in the 70's. They did go to three superbowls in that era, not just 1. I don't think I have to mention the raiders of then. There was just more really really good teams year in and year out back then.

Super Bowl V January 17, 1971 Baltimore Ravens Dallas Cowboys 16-13 Miami, FL
    Super Bowl VI January 16, 1972 Dallas Cowboys Miami Dolphins 24-3 New Orleans, LA
    Super Bowl VII January 14, 1973 Miami Dolphins Washington Redskins 14-7 Los Angeles, CA
    Super Bowl VIII January 13, 1974 Miami Dolphins Minnesota Vikings 24-7 Houston, TX
    Super Bowl IX January 12, 1975 Pittsburgh Steelers Minnesota Vikings 16-6 New Orleans, LA
    Super Bowl X January 18, 1976 Pittsburgh Steelers Dallas Cowboys 21-17 Miami, FL
    Super Bowl XI January 9, 1977 Oakland Raiders Minnesota Vikings 32-14 Pasadena, CA
    Super Bowl XII January 15, 1978 Dallas Cowboys Denver Broncos 27-10 New Orleans, LA
    Super Bowl XIII January 21, 1979 Pittsburgh Steelers Dallas Cowboys 35-31 Miami, FL
    Super Bowl XIV January 20, 1980 Pittsburgh Steelers Los Angeles Rams 31-19 Pasadena, CA

You really should research what you type. Only 5 different teams won the Superbowl in all of 70's and only 9 different teams even made it to the Superbowl during this decade. Already this decade we have had 5 different teams win the Superbowl and 12 different teams in it with a few years remaining. There was NOT more good teams back then, there were more DYNASTIES. I really don't think you can argue that in recent years the Patriots are the ONLY football dynasty. Therefore there are more good teams now then in the 70s.

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

I think that's my point...They were consistently facing teams that were great. The patriots haven't. They've been facing some good teams that have had good years....the only team you can even discuss as being as good as the pats over the same span is the Colts. I don't guess I meant more good teams, I meant the top part of the league then is much better than it is now.

Edit: I think we have differing ideas on what a good team is. I don't consider a team making 1 good run one year as being a good team. There were more consistently top heavy teams then because of the lack of a cap. Teams would build these powerhouse teams and just keep them, with no fear of trading.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

So...everyone here is in agreement that if Tom Brady gets injured the Giants will steamroll Matt Cassell right?

Ok Giants, someone's going to have to do it - the cheap shot for the ages. Break his leg, win the Superbowl. Do it early before you're down by 21. After the whistle is acceptable - you want to win right? You are millionaires, take the fine. (Well, don't let Strahan do it, his ex-wife has his balls in a vicegrip.)

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Strahan has the worst attorney in the history of divorces...

Straight Ca$h Homie
    BG Level

I think that's my point...They were consistently facing teams that were great. The patriots haven't. They've been facing some good teams that have had good years....the only team you can even discuss as being as good as the pats over the same span is the Colts. I don't guess I meant more good teams, I meant the top part of the league then is much better than it is now.

Edit: I think we have differing ideas on what a good team is. I don't consider a team making 1 good run one year as being a good team. There were more consistently top heavy teams then because of the lack of a cap. Teams would build these powerhouse teams and just keep them, with no fear of trading.
    Back then you could only build teams through the draft. That means if you had a top 5 pick your team could be set for the next 10 years. But if you made a bad pick, your team would be doomed until you found a superstar.

This is why you saw so many Hall of Famers on the same team, because some teams just got luckier than others in the draft. Does it make it harder to build a good team? Yes. Does it make it harder to stay on top? No.

Salary caps and free agency were put in place so dynasty franchises couldn't stay on top for long. The Pats are staying on top in an era where it's *hard* to be consistently good. Same goes for the Colts. It's harder to stay on top when it's so much easier for other teams to become good, or at least competitive.

Only knock I have for the Colts is that they're consistenltly the first place losers. To me, that's nothing to be proud about. So what if you're the best team that gets to lose to the Pats? The Chargers/Cowboys/Jags/Giants/Packers can all do that just fine.

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

I agree. That pats have built an incredibly good team when it's incredibly hard to build a team to be consistently great, they are an anomaly. My knock isn't against the patriots, I still think they are one of the best teams of all times...My knock is against their competition. I think Pitt of the 70's had to face competition that was much much better. In today's NFL, that would equate to 3 or 4 other teams being as good as the colts have been this decade, and sustaining it over a 4-5 year period. In that scenario, I don't see the pats winning 3 of 7/4 of 8, which is why I think the Steelers of the 70's are a better team.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Here is what I am hoping: The Patsies are behind with less than 2 mins to go. They mount this incredible drive from their own 5. They cap the drive with an amazing catch by Randy Moss with 10 seconds left on the clock. Everyone is going crazy, the whole team is jumping up and down and hugging each other.

The kicker is so jacked up that he booms the ensuing kickoff through the endzone which doesn't allow the Giants to return the kick. Giants then start on the 20 with Manning in the shotgun. Oh, no, bad snap!!! The ball sails over Eli's head and he runs for it and drops on it on the 2 yard line.

Two seconds left, Giants on the two yard line, two Pats players grab the Gatorade jug and start sneaking up behind Bellychick. Brady is hugging everyone in sight, Rodney Harrison is yelling in front of the Fox cameras even though nobody can hear him, and Moss is crying as he realizes he's about to get his first ring. The Pats fans are high-fiving around the country. One more snap and the Pats can call themselves the greatest.

The ball snaps and Eli is forced to throw into a triple teamed Plaxico. Bodies crash together and OMG Plaxico comes away with the ball!!! The other defenders knock each other to the ground!!! Plaxico runs down field with only one man to beat. The last defender makes a desperation dive at the 10 yard line and just barely misses.

TOUCHDOWN!!!

GIANTS WIN!!! GIANTS WIN!!! No undefeated season, no ring for Moss, and Karma kicks Bellychick in the nuts.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by wyrmtung
    Here is what I am hoping: The Patsies are behind with less than 2 mins to go. They mount this incredible drive from their own 5. They cap the drive with an amazing catch by Randy Moss with 10 seconds left on the clock. Everyone is going crazy, the whole team is jumping up and down and hugging each other.

The kicker is so jacked up that he booms the ensuing kickoff through the endzone which doesn't allow the Giants to return the kick. Giants then start on the 20 with Manning in the shotgun. Oh, no, bad snap!!! The ball sails over Eli's head and he runs for it and drops on it on the 2 yard line.

Two seconds left, Giants on the two yard line, two Pats players grab the Gatorade jug and start sneaking up behind Bellychick. Brady is hugging everyone in sight, Rodney Harrison is yelling in front of the Fox cameras even though nobody can hear him, and Moss is crying as he realizes he's about to get his first ring. The Pats fans are high-fiving around the country. One more snap and the Pats can call themselves the greatest.

The ball snaps and Eli is forced to throw into a triple teamed Plaxico. Bodies crash together and OMG Plaxico comes away with the ball!!! The other defenders knock each other to the ground!!! Plaxico runs down field with only one man to beat. The last defender makes a desperation dive at the 10 yard line and just barely misses.

TOUCHDOWN!!!

GIANTS WIN!!! GIANTS WIN!!! No undefeated season, no ring for Moss, and Karma kicks Bellychick in the nuts.
    A+++ would read again.

TOUCHDOWN!!!

No

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

bleh, even if they go 19-0 I can't see them being the best team ever. When 1/3 of your wins are against Buffalo, NYJ, and Miami, you get what's referred to as the easy schedule. I'd say the Pat's division was the worst in the NFL. Even the AFC west overall I felt was a tougher division then what the Pat's played in.

Quote Originally Posted by Royal

TOUCHDOWN!!!

No
    Alternative ending:

When Plaxico was running down the sidelines seemingly free of defenders (because they collided with each other from above), out of nowhere, Bill Bellichick dove at him and tackled him at the 35 yard line. He was then promptly ejected and the Giants were granted an untimed down at the 20 yard line. Being down by 4 points, one last chance, a clear pass interference call on Rodney Harrison wasn't called, and the Patriots win! Undefeated season is intact!

The next day, Roger Goodell announced that Bill Bellichick is forever banned from coaching in the NFL again, and in an unprecedented move, gave the Giants an extra touchdown to reverse the victory. Giants win!

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast