Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

Chocobo Digging and/or Hot & Cold

I've never done an extensive amount of chocobo digging, just a few times shortly after getting my license a few years ago and dropping it for lack of immediate profit... But I'm curious now, how does 'digging skill' work? Do you get skill ups in your message log like crafting but just can't check your final skill? I remember someone saying something like their skill was A10 or something because they could dig shortly after zoning (I think), so what all changes as your digging skill levels?

I ask this because I've been doing Chocobo Hot & Cold daily for about 2 months or so, and I'm wondering if I haven't accidentally been skilling up digging. I know the chances of similar experience might be slim because it's not fafnir, but has anyone experienced the same?

Also, would anyone happen to know what effect (if any) your chocobo's stats have on playing hot & cold? Stats that is, not skills like treasure hunter.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Re: Chocobo Digging and/or Hot & Cold

Quote Originally Posted by Spoony Bob
    I've never done an extensive amount of chocobo digging, just a few times shortly after getting my license a few years ago and dropping it for lack of immediate profit... But I'm curious now, how does 'digging skill' work? Do you get skill ups in your message log like crafting but just can't check your final skill? I remember someone saying something like their skill was A10 or something because they could dig shortly after zoning (I think), so what all changes as your digging skill levels?

I ask this because I've been doing Chocobo Hot & Cold daily for about 2 months or so, and I'm wondering if I haven't accidentally been skilling up digging. I know the chances of similar experience might be slim because it's not fafnir, but has anyone experienced the same?
    I actually had a similar experience to you - I did lots of Choco H&C, won a lot, then decided to try digging and found I had already ranked up. Most of my current skill comes from H&C, so I was able to skip the long, painful slog at the start, where you have to wait a long time between digs.

You do not get messages in your log, it just increases and you'll never know when or why. That's kind of aggravating. As you skill up, you'll have a lower delay between digs (starts at 16 seconds, then 11, then 6, then however long it takes the animation of the last dig to finish) and a lower delay between when you enter a zone and when you can start digging. The delay from zone entry is usually the best way to test your rank. I'm A45 right now, which means that it takes 45 seconds after entering a new (A)rea to be able to dig. At higher levels, you can dig up elemental ores and the like, and presumably you can't at lower levels. More experienced diggers can tell you if that's true for other items as well.

Also, would anyone happen to know what effect (if any) your chocobo's stats have on playing hot & cold? Stats that is, not skills like treasure hunter.
    So far as I know, no effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Seyrr

I actually had a similar experience to you - I did lots of Choco H&C, won a lot, then decided to try digging and found I had already ranked up. Most of my current skill comes from H&C, so I was able to skip the long, painful slog at the start, where you have to wait a long time between digs.

You do not get messages in your log, it just increases and you'll never know when or why. That's kind of aggravating. As you skill up, you'll have a lower delay between digs (starts at 16 seconds, then 11, then 6, then however long it takes the animation of the last dig to finish) and a lower delay between when you enter a zone and when you can start digging. The delay from zone entry is usually the best way to test your rank. I'm A45 right now, which means that it takes 45 seconds after entering a new (A)rea to be able to dig. At higher levels, you can dig up elemental ores and the like, and presumably you can't at lower levels. More experienced diggers can tell you if that's true for other items as well.

it was theorized that you needed a particular item to rank up, much like a guild point test item, but you didn't turn it in, just needed to get it in your inventory. i'm not terribly interested in if this is true, but will hot and cold permit you to bypass these "test items" if they do exist? IE could i rank up to top rank choco digging even w/o using a single gyshal greens?

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Spekkio
    it was theorized that you needed a particular item to rank up, much like a guild point test item, but you didn't turn it in, just needed to get it in your inventory. i'm not terribly interested in if this is true, but will hot and cold permit you to bypass these "test items" if they do exist? IE could i rank up to top rank choco digging even w/o using a single gyshal greens?
    Well, I went up a rank without doing any digging (my first dig after a lot of H&C, I found that I could dig after just 11 seconds), so I imagine you could rank up all the way without using greens. However, I've continued to do H&C, and I get the feeling it would take an obscenely long time to get even halfway from that alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Spekkio
    Quote Originally Posted by Seyrr

This is not true. All you need to rank up is dig dig etc. You can stay in the same zone and get all your rank ups. I am "A10" and got the last 5 rank-ups in Sarutabaruta because it's a zone where almost noone ever digs ; the more items you dig the faster the skill up.

To the OP, it's rather easy to get the first rankup. If I remember right you need to dig 90 times "only". In order to get the last rank you need around 10,000 digs lol.