+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: about to start WoW for the first time, advice?

Roll on Dunemaul, PVP server, send a tell to Maei or Molech, I'll help ya out.

Basic idea is to have fun with a few different classes, but don't get burnt out as most classes are pretty boring til 10 or so (you get talent points at 10 to kinda customize your character, and it gives you something to look forward to every level [Where will I put this next talent point?] and most classes have a class-defining ability granted by a Level 10 quest (i.e. at 10 you can quest to get a pet as a Hunter, or your first Demon as Warlock, etc)

I would honestly suggest Horde (I hear a lot of crying over many kids playing Alliance, and you will get harassed a bunch most likely for picking the 'easier' of the two factions... I won't go into it here, but I honestly do hear people calling alliance easier than horde moreso than vice versa, so I figured I'd throw that out there. Also, I'd suggest a PVP server... If you like PVP at all. Sure, you'll get ganked, but hopefully you can take it in stride (and not get super pissed and throw stuff / quit game, like some people I've known, it happens) and have it just psych you up for ganking in your future, or just regular PVP, I donno.

Hunters are pretty easy to play, also pretty powerful end-game if played right... However, so many people choose it because of this, its kinda a bland choice for that reason- lots of em.

Locks, same about... I have a Warlock, its so-so. Very powerful end game, will always be harassed for being overpowered, and eventually nerfed, probably.

Warriors / Rogues... beat stuff up. Option of tanking! I like WoW tanking...

Druids let you do a lot of fun stuff, jack of all trades kinda... Different forms so you can do different things. Bear form = tanking, Cat Form = Rogue (DPS), can be nature-damage spellcaster, or healer, etc.

Everything has its pro's and con's, wish I could simply say 'try them all' but do keep in mind most classes are boring before Lv10 so don't burn yourself out playing every class to like level 8 thinking the game blows

As far as racials go... there's not a big disparity at all. Some classes get really powerful racials (i.e. Undead's Will of the Forsaken breaks fear, which is pretty big for some end game PVE instances as well as PVP) whereas some are pretty lame (Trolls berserking.. Increases attack speed... but unfortunately its lame most of the time, and gets better as your HP gets lower... which is close to never. Bust it when you're almost dead and you die and get little use out of it, use it when you're low in a group and get healed, etc). Tauren's HP buff is about as close as you can get to a FFXI-esque racial stat disparity, definitely consider Tauren if you want to tank, 5% or whatever it is is pretty beefy now that tanks get upwards of 20k HP. Um.. will edit as I think of more. PM or msg me in game definitely though if you want more advice / info / whatev. Can help you start up a character no problem if you decide to be horde on Dunemaul, send a tell to an above name.

Don't forget to load up on useful addons. Now these ARN'T against the ToS like other games... One of the best addons I've ever used while leveling is lightheaded . It attaches to your quest log and when you have a quest selected you can flip through posts that people had made about the quest, like locations of mobs, tips, ect. Makes leveling much easier and faster.

Team up lightheaded with TomTom and when you click coords in people's posts, waypoints will be added on your map.

Also get Cartagrapher . It will give you 100% explored maps.

Now there are UI mods, but you really don't need them when you are beginning. I recommend getting your friends into WoW because leveling will be really boring alone.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Shuemue
    Well shit, that's fucked my plan up.
    No NO your plan worked great. There are servers called Role-Playing. The only way you get jumped is if you kill the other faction or you flag yourself.

Getting jumped on a PvP server wasn't all that bad. It usually happened if the other guy had a bad day, or got mauled themselves. Then your were just at the wrong place at the wrong time. The worst is the zerging they do to you. They wait for you to spawn near your body and another by the graveyard. Another thing I used to have happen to me was I would be taking out one person and another person from their guild would jump me from behind.

As for free adons I liked Cosmos myself. But thats pretty much the only one at the time that worked so well.

NOTE:

Be careful where you download addons. I personally ONLY trust curse gaming ( http://wow.curse.com/downloads/addons/ ) (sorry mods, not trying to promote, I have no affiliation whatsoever, but trying to give advice..) VERY often lately you will find a site that claims to have a good addon / whatnot, and its a keylogger; while it may not be as huge an issue with a brand new account, it is not so great to lose all your Lv70 characters to some foolishly downloaded addon that really just tracked your name/password and emailed it to some guy with no life who is happy to sell your stuff / trash it for lulz. Honestly, do some research, if you stick with that site you are good... but as always, be careful.

i'm awesome.
    BG Level

Cool kids don't play WoW anymore, it is stupid.

They make everything easy and nothing is really worth bragging over anymore. Not even certain gear.

Best bet is to play it with very little hopes at End Game or else you'll be really disappointed once you get the end game. (TBC ruined end game).

Relic Horn
    BG Level

What's that? Just for the three of us who never touched WoW but want to know how things can go wrong.

E. Body
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Maguspk
    Cool kids don't play WoW anymore, it is stupid.

They make everything easy and nothing is really worth bragging over anymore. Not even certain gear.

Best bet is to play it with very little hopes at End Game or else you'll be really disappointed once you get the end game. (TBC ruined end game).
    I'd argue TBC only changed end-game. Now whether or not that was a good or bad thing is relatively subjective, but all the ezmode carebear shit (arena gear, fuckin hyjal/BT attunements taken out now, dont have to kill the other bosses in SSC and TK to get to kael/vashj, and all the bullshit that came before it) is because of the whiny casuals. TBC is just the setting that's affected by all the qqing.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Truth be told, I've played WoW for a good while before I got bored lol, it's a good MMO if ur just looking for something to pick up quickly, but it's stupid easy compared to the stuff I have to deal with in FFXI, even in terms of organizing things, TBC or not.

It's an expansion, you'll get people whining about what is introduced no matter the game so don't take to heart, imo play it, get the feel for it, and quit it when you feel you've had enough. To be honest, there's quite a bit about it on their official forums when searching for class wise, I chose Paladin, had a blast with it since I was really good at how I used it (though... you'd get noobs that expect you to tank and heal... somehow... yea... not gonna happen) but the classes are very FFXIesque in the way that they're pretty much subject to tank, healer, magic DD and melee DD (but with less emphasis on like well... the variety of the same thing)

All the talk about TBC ruining the game will be moot fairly soon, when the next EP comes out, the level cap is being raised from 70 to 80 and at least one advanced job is being introduced. That's gonna be interesting imo.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Gorgonnash

Yes! I can't wait for Lich King, Death Knight looks to be awesome.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

The next expansion looks fun, but since I'm such a sci-fi nut I think I'll end up liking the look of TBC better.

Straight Ca$h Homie
    BG Level

Is Prot Warrior any fun at this stage of TBC? I want to level my 37 warrior to max but I don't know if it'll really be worth it if everyones doing all the high end instances now that they took away the keys or whatever.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

http://www.wow-loot.com/warrior.htm

Just go to the very bottom of the page and it always says what's the popular trend for that particular job currently.

As far as high end instances and keys, I'm not really sure what you mean. Heroic instances at 70 only require you to be Honored with corresponding faction instead of Revered. If you mean the raids, you'll still be doing all the raids at 70 because of the gear progression that you'll need. Unless you have a lot of PvP points or Arena points then you might be able to skip some.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

My advice, bookmark ThottBot.

Saved me a lot of hours with regards to finding what mob drops what, and where exactly to find it.

Can't really said much otherwise, only played the game for 47 days (all off free trials <.<) and hit a Lock to 34 (while playing FFXI simultaneously). I quite enjoyed the class, aside from the fact it has paper defense.
    (I really missed FFXI's job system though, rerolling must be a pain since you typically do quests for XP in the game)

Weaboo of the House of Weave
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthur Pendragon
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I suppose if you want to get a free ride to epics, prot war is fun, but I would not recommend it as a first character.

If you go prot and join a guild, unless you have a great way of making consistent, large amounts of money you are not going to be able to afford to respec on non-raiding days to--guess what--make more money.

I'm probably just lazy but prot war was my first character, I ended up being a full time raider with no time to make money other than 30g from dailies every day.

Couldn't afford an epic flier, etc

I would start off with a damage dealer. Maybe one less reliant on mana.. hunter?

easy farming, especially if you spec BM

also paves the way to a very easy ride on a warrior if you decide to go that way, because you will have great gear all the way there.

I made the mistake of going prot war first, then leveling probably the worst alternative for making money.. a holy paladin

Weaboo of the House of Weave
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthur Pendragon
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Kaisha
    My advice, bookmark ThottBot.

Saved me a lot of hours with regards to finding what mob drops what, and where exactly to find it.

Can't really said much otherwise, only played the game for 47 days (all off free trials <.<) and hit a Lock to 34 (while playing FFXI simultaneously). I quite enjoyed the class, aside from the fact it has paper defense.
    (I really missed FFXI's job system though, rerolling must be a pain since you typically do quests for XP in the game)
    no. thottbot is owned by rmt. most of them are, but there are some that are much cleaner than others.

thottbot has had trojans in the past, too.

use http://www.wowhead.com best resource imo

so i've been playing for 3-4 days now on warlock and it seems pretty fun. a few others questions though:

at low levels, is it better just to stick with quest gear, or is the AH the best place to gear for all levels? I don't have access to the AH yet since I'm still trial, but i've gotten to level 17 so far and quested items seem few and far between (still haven't equipped all slots).

is the only way to get the bigger bags (journeyman bags?) is by buying them? or is there some quested equivalent? i only have 6-size bags now and am constantly running out of inventory space.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

General advice when you're starting out is to (almost) never buy AH gear, since you'll level out of them so quickly. AH gear will be better from a straight +stat perspective, but unless you're loaded, don't buy gear from AH. If you do your own research, and make sure there is nothing that will replace it soon, then maybe if it seems worth it to you. Only exceptions I know of are select epic weapons (e.g. Bow of Searing Arrows) that can stay with you for a while, but if you're starting out, chances are you won't be able to afford them anyway.

You can get like 1 or 2 of the bigger bags through quests, but usually they'll all come from the AH or crafter friends.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Nazjatar

inventory space will suck for a bit, but its worth investing in upgrading when you can as it'll increase your income as well. but at low levels, stop in town often to sell off things and pitch things that are worth crap if you need to.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Agreed, don't use the AH for buying gear really until higher levels. If you need money you should have at least one gathering profession like Herbalism or Mining. If you want more/better gear try and join an instance group.