+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Re: about to start WoW for the first time, advice?

Quote Originally Posted by wintersquall
    i might try out a PvP server, but honestly i'm so clueless right now i doubt it's a good idea.

the playerbase in general seems to be a bunch of tards relative to FFXI so far, hopefully that's just the newbie zones ; ; random invites, random duel requests from morons (a lot of 70s doing this), random guild invites (one of my chars is still in a guild i can't figure out to leave lol, i quit playing that char and rerolled) >.>

i do enjoy actually playing the game so far though, it's more... involved, and faster-paced than FFXI (which i still love, but i went on for my nyzul group last night and swear i was just shocked at the slow speed of everything). of course i re-acclimated in 5 min though.
    The playerbase when I left FFXI was a bunch of tards too. I really don't notice a big difference going from Al'Zahbi Besieged spam and Trade spam in WoW. I had a very hard time leveling up jobs in FFXI because of how stupid players were the last few months.

I've been playing for a few months now and I'm now in a raiding guild. I've luckily been able to find a guild full of adults who are mature and good players, and so I just run instances with them only and things are fine. I'm a protection paladin and the only one in my guild, so I'm actually interested in leveling my other jobs, unlike FFXI where I refused to level brd or rdm just because I didn't want to be forced into that job for everything I ever did.

The game is a lot faster paced and also allows you to be more laid back when playing, which is excellent for me because I think most of my hardcore gaming days are behind me. Once you reach the teens you'll get access to running instances. These are various dungeons that have "elite" mobs which hit harder and have more health than normal mobs and can drop some very nice gear. Most instances take 1-2 hours to complete, they're kinda like a Limbus run, just more variety.

I'm on the Nazgrel server, PM me if you want me to show you around or something, I can do that. Or if anyone else wants to do it, that's cool too.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Gorgonnash

I'm a prot spec'd pld too. What's your Talent build?

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/cla ... 0000000000

That's the standard build. I'd like to open points up to put back into Pursuit of Justice because it's very nice for BG's (flag running with all that health/armor/mitigation and +15% speed is so awesome) but not sure what I'd remove to pick it up.

saw this and was like o-O;
    gotta be an april fools joke surely

http://www.wow-europe.com/wrath/feat.../bardclass.xml

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Winter Sky
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

yup, it's a april fool's joke - they also changed the code on the official boards so the end of every sentence posted ends in lol, lolcats, lulz, or something ridiculous.

at any rate, i found out last night i have to reroll and start over. i mistakenly began my character on an Oceanic server (Australian), so if i ever want to actually have people on during my primetime i have to reroll on a new server.

i may drop in nazgrel and say hi, are you ally or horde eagle?

oh, and if someone has a cool server with a guild that doesn't mind a few stupid questions while i get my feet under me let me know. like i said, gotta start all over >.> i'm liking Blood Elves so far, but am open to suggestions. AND i'm sure there's a better board to ask these questions on, but my chars don't show up on the official ones yet >.<

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

I'm horde, my main is Hinatasama on Nazgrel, I have a 29 rogue by Eaglestrike and the rest of my toons are Mai-hime/Mai-Otome names, lol.

Horde ftw, which race to choose really depends on you and the class you're playing. Each race generally has some advantage to the class and you might want to choose a race based on its PvP ability or PvE ability (undead generally have the advantage in PvP no matter what class, but is somewhat lacking in PvE in most encounters).

Spec is an important decision, there are 27 different class/spec combos and a number of classes can do 3 completely different things depending on spec. For a Paladin it can Heal (holy) tank (protection) or DPS (retribution), druid has a similar build with balance/feral/resto being able to respec to fulfill any roll in a group. But even with all of this to deal with, you can always reroll fairly easily so it's not a big deal if you "mess up" at first.

You can always IM me at Sireaglestrike (on AIM) with questions, I had a hard time starting out finding a good group to hand with, and my guild is a raiding guild + I don't know you so not sure if I could really get you in it. I'm still fairly new to the game but I'm beginning to catch up on WoW knowledge and for general gameplay questions I can answer just fine.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Winter Sky
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

well, i didn't expect to join a raiding guild at level 1, and i'm not concerned with what server i end up as i'm sure they're much the same.

just would be nice to have people to bounce questions off of and learn from while i'm leveling away. most of my questions are command/UI issues, adventuring i can figure out just fine. also would like to download some add-ons to help with quests etc, but i'd rather not if it'll make the game run less well, and keyloggers = no thanks.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patty Fleur
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Burning Blade

Servers are not the same in terms of progress lol. Some servers don't even have guilds in BT/Hyjal yet(pre 2.4)

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Noobta
    Servers are not the same in terms of progress lol. Some servers don't even have guilds in BT/Hyjal yet(pre 2.4)
    Like mine

But my guild is looking to progress and we have some really good players as a base. Transfer guild of older gamers (people that are married, even to other guild mates) who have been raiding since original WoW, good people. We should be starting 25 mans soon, can't wait to see what it's like.

E. Body
    BG Level

download LightHeaded, it's a mod that gives you information right from wowhead.com on every quests, you can view the amount of EXP you'll get from it, each quest in the chain (and click on those quests to find info about them too), view comments players have left on wowhead, and create waypoints by clicking on coordinates that most people leave in their comments. also download Cartographer, excellent map mod, and TitanBar, a great general info panel (durability % of your gear, bag space, amount of money, current coords, lots of other stuff)

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patty Fleur
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Burning Blade

I would recommend fubar over titan. It's more light weight and has tons of different things for it. Ace addons are awesome, one click update for all of them = godly

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Winter Sky
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

what about site security / etc? i've heard curse is the only totally safe site.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patty Fleur
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Burning Blade

http://www.wowace.com/wiki/WowAceUpdater
    That's what I use.
    Has all the ace addons with a brief description. You can always look it up on curse if you want to know more about it.

I'm definitely going to roll a toon on a PvP server. My mage is fun and might be useful in instances one day, but I want to roll a Horde and slaughter innocents.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patty Fleur
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Burning Blade

New honor changes are awesome, got shitloads of honor from that new mark quest lol. Had 100 of each BG

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Winter Sky
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

just started a new blood elf on Nazgrel, name wintersquall.

anyone who wants to roll a new toon, or who wants to say hi please do - i don't know how yet haha.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patty Fleur
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Burning Blade

Quote Originally Posted by wintersquall
    just started a new blood elf on Nazgrel, name wintersquall.

anyone who wants to roll a new toon, or who wants to say hi please do - i don't know how yet haha.
    Nazgrel EU?

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Winter Sky
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

NA.

least i think it is ^^

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglestrike
    Quote Originally Posted by Noobta
    Like mine

But my guild is looking to progress and we have some really good players as a base. Transfer guild of older gamers (people that are married, even to other guild mates) who have been raiding since original WoW, good people. We should be starting 25 mans soon, can't wait to see what it's like.
    Ya just did my first Mag's lair and it was horrible, because it was so easy. You have to have 5 players touch these cubes at the same time when he starts to cast this spell. It's really easy but people were being extremely stupid and had some dc's. After the 5th try we stopped for the night.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patty Fleur
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Burning Blade

<3333 cube clicking
    Range have it easy, you could stand at your cube the whole time