+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

about to start WoW for the first time, advice?

Looking for advice here from FFXI players, since thats my first MMO and makes the most sense to me.

What is the best class to start off?
    Are the race differences as big as they are in FFXI? HP/MP/etc

I've heard PLD is pretty pimp for solo and also PVP, but I'm going to duo with a melee friend of mine. Is the best way to level up through xp mobs, or more through quests? Any other starter advice would be great too, thanks!

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Re: about to start WoW for the first time, advice?

I think a WoW board would probably be a better place to ask WoW questions.
    Maybe somewhere like here. (dunno, don't post or lurk there, so don't know how receptive they are to newbies.)
    http://www.theorderls.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=16

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

1. Most races have race traits both horde and alliance. So see which on you like best then go on to question 2.

2. Most jobs are fun to play in my op. I had a 70 Rogue and a 70 Hunter, and a 60 Warlock.

3. I eat Pld for breakfast with all of the chars I played. The only one that was a pain was a Blood Elf because of their race trait. Anyways not much I know about the Pld. Those I knew stunk at their job or were procced wrong.

4. Go to towns and grab a bunch of quests since most of them rely on the same area and mobs. Slaughter everything then turn in quests rinse and repeat. Also if you look on the web you can find leveling guides. They will tell you what quest to get and when to get it and in what order to do them in. This will get you to 1-70 real quick.

5. bonus tips. When you log for the night do it in a inn. When you log on turn off party invites and whispers. This wll save you from the billions of spammed RMT ads.

Finally go to the WoW forums. Alla was the popular one back then along with Wows offcial site. But the official site is filled with a-holes who will tell you to search topics and forums then continue on with their whining about the job class of the month.

An I suggest you do the same.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Best advice would be to not start.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Exoduso
    LOL U SO FUNY

but nosrsly

WoW is pretty similar to FFXI, you have tank, DD and mage classes, some work better than others for particular situations. Instead of MP there's Mana (for mage type classes), Energy for Rogues and Rage for Warriors. Basically everything that you would do as a group is instanced so you don't have wankers cockblocking you and whatnot.

Grinding can be nice when you just wanna flake out and not concentrate, but quests are better xp/hr. And you could still quite easily duo with a melee friend, you'll just be more of a tank/healer than an all in one like you would be solo, this should make it easier on your gear choices as you level up too.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patty Fleur
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Burning Blade

I would start with a hunter, warlock, or mage. Those are the ones I found the most easy to level :<
    Race...would probably depend if you want to PVP or PVE.
    Just please don't make a tauren hunter

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Fallso
    LOL U SO FUNY
    It wasn't meant to be funny, I was completely serious... I hated the way you have to level up in WoW, going from one retarded quest to the next for 2k xp. I gave up at level 40, maybe xping in FFXI was long and tedious but at least I wasn't bored. (the fact that I was on a PvP server and every second some other 10 year old alliance retard would jump me didn't help either.)

Level up on PvE, then move to a PvP server if you're so inclined.

Levelling is a breeze.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Basic rule of all MMOs: If there's a PVP server, your first character does not belong there.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patty Fleur
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Burning Blade

Quote Originally Posted by Shuemue
    Level up on PvE, then move to a PvP server if you're so inclined.

Levelling is a breeze.
    You can only go PVP?PVE.

Well shit, that's fucked my plan up.

E. Body
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Fallso
    LOL U SO FUNY
    It wasn't meant to be funny, I was completely serious... I hated the way you have to level up in WoW, going from one retarded quest to the next for 2k xp. I gave up at level 40, maybe xping in FFXI was long and tedious but at least I wasn't bored. (the fact that I was on a PvP server and every second some other 10 year old alliance retard would jump me didn't help either.)
    or..you know...do instances.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Unless it's with a group of people I know/know wtf they're doing, I refuse to play with random morons online (ffxi made me lose faith.. >.<)

Old Merits
    BG Level

Unless it's with a group of people I know/know wtf they're doing, I refuse to play with random morons online (ffxi made me lose faith.. >.<)
    Hell, if you're not even going to try it fucking once then you have no reason to whine, I've done plenty of pick up instances and I'd say all but about 3 went well, and one of those fuck ups was my fault.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I did try it once, hence the bitching.

But whatever, I didn't find WoW's xping system that enjoyable. If you did, more power to you.

Change this later.
    BG Level

Leveling up in WoW is boring and lonely, and half the people you do meet will try to kill you.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Go down load Joana's horde guide or Brian kopps guide or use http://www.wow-pro.com get 70 in 2 weeks , start raiding,arena get bored quickly come back and play ffxi.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

That guide didn't get me to 40 in a month, so 70 in 2 weeks? >.>

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

I'd only go to a PvP server if you either know people on that server already or you're really into that type of thing. Because you will die literally hundreds of times from people from the other side just passing by and deciding to one shot you.

You'll level up primarily through quests.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Calais Theron
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Sargeras

Don't be scared of PvP. I'm honestly a total pansy and I run around at primetime leveling in STV without issues. (Translation: I play on high population servers at peak times of the day and level in the most notorious zone for getting jumped by players of the opposite faction and do perfectly fine. STV is actually one of my favorite places to level.) Yes, there are going to be random 70's coming by and one-shotting you for shits and giggles, but they usually continue along their way afterwards. And if they don't, there's a good chance someone on your side will have a 70 and come out and get rid of the jerk. Even when you do get killed, it doesn't take long to run back to your corpse and get going again. No exp/durability/whatever loss.

Hell, I usually ignore most ally players when I'm leveling and they give a /dance or something and continue on their way.

PS, roll horde <3

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast