FFXIV Character
    Falisa Asile
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Internet connection problems

Hey all

For the past month or so my internet has been acting up. First starting noticing it on FFXI where my R would drop to 0 for about a few seconds and then come back up. Happens every few minutes or so. Started to play CoD on my XBox 360 a few weeks later and I notice the same thing on my gameplay there. Everything lags every few minutes. Now I'm being told my MSN chats lag. I called my cable company today and they said they see nothing wrong on their end. I thought maybe it was my apartment complex/someone stealing the internet, put a password and I just recently moved into a new apartment and it still does it. Getting tired of almost dieing when I solo because of this. I have a feeling its something to do with my modem or router? I'm not sure where to start to figure out my problem.

23 years old
    Rating: total douchebag

BG Level

Re: Internet connection problems

Did you check TCP/IP settings?

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

What modem are you running and what router are you running. To me it sounds like your router needs to be reset or reconfigured.

Hay guyz, I was Shinebox but now I'm not!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Don Katsu
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

I had a smilar problem but it can be alot of things,

Cables, Router? This is of course if it's doing it for both devices.

Sassy Tyrant
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Falisa Asile
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Ryko: I have no idea what'd I'd be looking for?

Rags: Modem is Westell Surfboard Cable Modem. Router is Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router. If you need me to be more specific I'll find out the actual models.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

hm.... check if anyone using any p2p programs, which include torrent/emule and etc. Usually there might someone who does not limit their upload when using this kind of program, which overloading the router for filtering and etc.

If there isn't, you might can ask the ISP come to your apartment to check the port for the connectivity, or maybe some other more suggestion

23 years old
    Rating: total douchebag

BG Level

Enable cookies?

Sassy Tyrant
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Falisa Asile
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Well I'm just bumping this old topic since its the same problem but I've figured out what it's coming from.

Found out that its my router thats causing the sudden loss of internet for 10 seconds because taking it off, I never got the problem again. I miss playing CoD on my Xbox or browsing the internet on the laptop, so I connected it back up but this problem is so annoying. I'm planning on calling linksys eventually, but I know that technical support from companies usually aren't the smartest so I just wanted to see if anyone here had any help.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Falisa
    Well I'm just bumping this old topic since its the same problem but I've figured out what it's coming from.

Found out that its my router thats causing the sudden loss of internet for 10 seconds because taking it off, I never got the problem again. I miss playing CoD on my Xbox or browsing the internet on the laptop, so I connected it back up but this problem is so annoying. I'm planning on calling linksys eventually, but I know that technical support from companies usually aren't the smartest so I just wanted to see if anyone here had any help.
    Have you tried resetting it to factory defaults? Updating it to the most recent firmware?

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Ravenholdt

I HAS A SOLUTION! Your router is most likely the WRT54G. Solution: Disable UPnP, Update Firmware. Your problem should be fixed, also make sure you have the gaming mode on it turned off (I still cant remember if my version of the thing has one or not). Also, if you need to, you can DMZ your Xbox which should allow you to connect properly.

Just for kicks and grins, search WRT54G in the tech support forums and see how many hits you get for the past two months lol. We need to sticky that that router is a piece of shit.

Sassy Tyrant
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Falisa Asile
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Asura

ok well did everything that was told. Reset to factory defaults, installed new firmware and disabled UPnP. Thanks for the help. :D Oh and the router is WRT54G as you guessed. hehe Now to see over time if the problem is actually fixed.