+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ventrilo Server Help.     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Ventrilo Server Help.

I want to start my own Vent server but when I started doing research I read that it defaults to 8 users for a non commercial vent server. I really don't want to rent one so is there a way around this? Where can I go to get the full server? lol

I am hope.
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Re: Ventrilo Server Help.

My Ls has a hacked version
    not all the fancy shit on it like changing volume per-user
    think we uses 2.1.1, you can look around and maybe find it

The Wang
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Furt Wangler
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I found a torrent of a cracked 2.0 one a while ago that let up to 15, look around for those... you'll need a 3.0 one unless you want to make everyone go down a version for their client. Other then cracked servers there's no way around it to my knowledge without buying the service from someone.

netz

Quote Originally Posted by Ikith
    I want to start my own Vent server but when I started doing research I read that it defaults to 8 users for a non commercial vent server. I really don't want to rent one so is there a way around this? Where can I go to get the full server? lol
    You can't, legally.

Back with something like version 2.2 or 2.3, they changed the licensing. You can't even BUY a license without operating a business that resells Ventrilo servers. Without cracking the non-commercial version to go beyond the eight client limit, or renting a server, you can't get what you want.

edit: Technically you could find a 2.1 server, and tell people to use VentriloMix to have multiple Vent client versions installed concurrently, but each version of Ventrilo uses a different method of storing the saved passwords for your favorite servers. Consequently, each time they connect to your server (merely by cause of opening an older version of Ventrilo), they wipe out their entire list of saved passwords.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Just out of curiosity, is Teamspeak any better about this stuff?
    edit: by this stuff, I mean making you pay for a version that can make a halfway usable server, and the backwards password storage implementation.

Sassy Tyrant
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Falisa Asile
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Charla
    Just out of curiosity, is Teamspeak any better about this stuff?
    This just preference i think I really prefer Ventrillo over TS but im not saying either are better than each other.

If you won't say it I will, Teamspeak sucks.

If you like to sound like you're on a real life truck radio and if you want everyone to go deaf if more than one person tries to talk at once, Teamspeak is for you.

Personally, I love how even if eight people were to talk at once on Vent, you'd hear them all crystal clear and you could make out what someone was saying.

Han Cholo
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azor A'hai
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

I love that you can customize any key on Ventrillo. I played FFXI with a PS2 controller, L1 was my push to speak button. Worked perfect, I absolutely recommend Vent.

netz

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaru
    If you won't say it I will, Teamspeak sucks.

If you like to sound like you're on a real life truck radio and if you want everyone to go deaf if more than one person tries to talk at once, Teamspeak is for you.

Personally, I love how even if eight people were to talk at once on Vent, you'd hear them all crystal clear and you could make out what someone was saying.
    Ventrilo for some mystical unknown reason has superior codec selection, despite sharing the two best voice codecs (Speex is better than GSM, by the way, and is cross platform); TeamSpeak seems to arbitrarily restrict you to the ones that sound like garbage.

Old Merits
    BG Level

I use nationvoice.com for vent. Yea, i pay for it, but damn, 50ppl max and complete digital. The voices are almost as clear as TV.

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

Teamspeak was retarded when I used it, wasn't allowed to use my controller for a key bind = gtfo my computer you troglodyte.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bro Teampill
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Just buy space on a vent server. It doesn't cost much, and offloading all that bandwidth is worth it. I use MaximumVoice. They've been good so far. Only one hiccup when they recently changed to a new server architecture (with a mammoth change like that there's bound to be some issues.) They were quick to act on it and had the server and account access restored in a day. If you decide to go that route, make sure you get the "advanced" service, which allows the higher quality codecs. The difference in cost is negligible. You can get a 10 user server for $6.00 (US) a month. They have the capacity to provide all the way up to a 400 user server, so don't think that you can only get a 10 user server, that's just where it starts from. They also have servers all over the US, so you can get one close to where you're at for low latency connections, or figure out a central location that will allow the least latency for everyone who will use it.

THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shiroe Blackrose
    FFXIV Server
    Diabolos
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Egon
    I use nationvoice.com for vent. Yea, i pay for it, but damn, 50ppl max and complete digital. The voices are almost as clear as TV.
    GSM or Speex codec?

Our previous ventrilo server was from NationVoice and we used GSM for a while. The voice quality was about the same as our previous server from NRG. However, some Mac users wanted to connect, so we switched over to Speex. Unfortunately we didn't have the high-quality codecs, so the owner called up NV to have them fix it. Never happened.

Currently paying for a 30 slot server from BFGServers. Have had no problems from them so far.