Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Amelia Diremii
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

I think the main reason OP is losing popularity in the states, is because of those who ONLY watched the dub without watching subs/reading the manga. Which is undoubtedly the worst dub ever.

AkashiXI

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylia View Post
    Well, I thought you were talking about anime fillers. I rarely consider "filler" content wrote by the original author, unless it has absolutely no impact on anything, and is not funny.

Anyway, you need to stop bashing Bleach and Naruto at the first occasion. I don't really care if you hate them, they aren't great, but saying it's the story that make OP superior is ridiculous imo. It's like watching a competition between snails, and betting on which one is the fastest.

People who enjoy Bleach, Naruto or One Pieces most likely watch those shows because the characters grew on them for w/e reason. It's not really important why, but if people like seeing those characters, it's probably because the author did something right. Nobody who enjoys Bleach will suddently go "why was i watching this shit" if they give One Piece a try.

-----
    The ridiculous setting is probably a bigger issue than the ability to cosplay character. Elastic guy who want to become the greatest pirate... No matter how good or bad the anime is, most people will be turned off by this. The character's design also seem to target a younger audience, even if it's not entirely the case.

Once again, you're putting words in my mouth: I never made a reference towards Naruto, only Bleach. The comment was made towards the one of the more recent chapters released. Yes, I read all the Bleach manga and no, I stopped watching Naruto after eps 225 (not like it matters since I wasn't referring to it anyways). I have kept myself updated with both, and I know pretty much all of the story line by memory, so I can critique both with unbiased knowledge. They don't drag things on with One-Piece, nearly every chapter has its own reason why it's a must-read (fuck, the last 20chapters in OP have told us some of the most important events in the entire series<_< ). Bleach will make chapters that's completely DBZ-esque... two enemies will stand on the battlefield, explaining to each other why they're going to lose indefinitely. Then at the end of the chapter, you see them rushing into each other, and the announcer says something like, "As the two warriors unleash their inner strengths, who will be victorious?!"

Now, on Bleach's defense, I absolutely love their art-style. It's the typical glossy humanistic character design, but it works so well for the story they've unfolded. I love their techniques, the whole "bankai" thing and how their sword has a spirit inside of it which they need to release (although some characters don't even do that). I also think Kon is a fucking godsend and without him Chad would be my favorite. But hey, this isn't the Bleach thread, this is OP.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Amelia Diremii
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Marcicus View Post
    Where's a good place to go watch One Piece at? The last time I remember watching is was right when Enel was introduced. Youtube only has it in spanish, and I can't find them on Veoh. :/
    http://www.kumby.com/

All 366 episodes.

Also, my favorite fight HAD to be

Spoiler: show
    when Sanji fought the Wolf dude from CP-9 and they introduced Diablo Jamble.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

I based my reply on this post

Really? If you follow the shonens, you should know which manga (atm) is introducing some amazing plots, and which is having a feud between which warrior is the prettiest.
    I assumed (maybe wrongly) that you were talking about Bleach, OP and Naruto, which are generally the one referenced to. Yes, your attack were directed at Bleach, but the point of your posts seem to be an attempt to demonstrate that OP is superior to other shonens.

so I can critique both with unbiased knowledge
    There is no such thing as no bias when it come to taste.

Bleach and One Piece both have different style, despite being shonen. Maybe OP has more plot twist per chapter, but 2 guys facing each other with huge butcher knife might interest other people if done correctly. I just don't understand how you can write big paragraph trying to explain why OP is awesome, or why bleach is lame.

Anyway, I'm going to stop ater this post, because I don't want to derail the thread into a OP vs Bleach debate...which is exactly what I want to avoid.

AkashiXI

Lmao, you should have bolded knowledge.* I know what both offer, so I don't state opinions as facts. Everything I've said is exactly what both manga offer, and I doubt you'll find ANYONE in this world that enjoys reading 17pages of "nou".

*Being biased obviously shows that you're in favor of one party, but I wasn't saying that. I said I have unbiased knowledge because I took the time to understand both parties, therefore there's no opinion when I mention anything from either side.

edit: You're right though, we should stop. In all honesty, you openly admit that you don't watch OP so I don't see the reason why you were even concerned to post here, but hey it's an open forum. You made a comment, and I retaliated. Nothing wrong with that

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

"Unbiased knowledge" sound pretentious if you ask me. Especially when you follow with a biased critic...And again, you just spent half of your post bashing Bleach. I'm not even sure what you're trying to prove. I don't think I posted anything negative about OP in the last 2 pages

...except for what will follow

Everything I've said is exactly what both manga offer, and I doubt you'll find ANYONE in this world that enjoys reading 17pages of "nou".
    Yes, because Bleach only offer 17 pages worth of staring with no dialogue, and OP only offer genius comedy and plot twist.

It's so funny to see Luffy eat something for the 865th time, it was never done before in anime like slayers or Dragon Ball. Oh, Zoro got lost again! He is so stupid haha. Oh damn, fighting a girafe man...sooo much tension!

Of course, I don't believe what I just said. You can dumb down and insult a story if you want, but it won't convince anyone.

AkashiXI

Anyway, I'm going to stop ater this post, because I don't want to derail the thread into a OP vs Bleach debate...which is exactly what I want to avoid.
    zzz

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Yes, that was until you wrote a post with "Lmao" and a ridiculous argument. I was hoping you would be mature enough to keep it short and neutral, so we could both back off, but you followed with a flame bait.

I actually enjoy arguing, I just didn't want to derail the thread. If you want to keep going in, I will follow.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I take it that you don't read One Piece manga Kaylia...honestly you need to give it a try. An friend of mine took him 3 months for me to start reading OP heh because I thought One Piece is a shitty kiddy cartoon but I was completely wrong about One Piece and now it's my #1 anime/manga.

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko View Post
    I take it that you don't read One Piece manga Kaylia...honestly you need to give it a try. An friend of mine took him 3 months for me to start reading OP heh because I thought One Piece is a shitty kiddy cartoon but I was completely wrong about One Piece and now it's my #1 anime/manga.
    Same thing happened to me. Rl friend tried to show it to me years ago and I stopped watching at like episode twenty. It starts out a bit rough but god damn does it get good and fast.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko View Post
    I didnt say it was a kiddy cartoon, I said it's the impression most people get before starting , and why they avoid it. I was replying to Correction's cosplay comment when I said that. I do think OP targets a larger audience (to include younger people), but I would never say it is for kid. It's like people who refuse to watch a Pixar's or Disney's movies, when most of them are awesome.

I'm not up to date with OP manga, but I'm reading it at snail pace when there is dead time in FFXI (stopped on chapter 200 last time). I watched season 1, and everything after Water 7 in the anime (up to thriller bark now), and saw half of Skypeia.

But really, I'm not a fan of any show that last more than 50 episodes. I have to force myself to read Bleach and OP most of the time, even if there is decent part. The biggest issue I've with OP is the arc format. There isn't enough contuinity between island, and it really kill the story for me.

I would rather stick to 12-24 episodes animes that tell a simple story.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

I watched season 1, and everything after Water 7 in the anime (up to thriller bark now), and saw half of Skypeia.
    By season one do you mean episodes 1-13? If so that should be within the Captain Kuro arc which means you skipped a ton of characterization/explanation/motivation.

Although it may sound odd for a series as long as One Piece, skipping episodes really hurts the story by omitting the background and foundation behind it. By episode 13, the core of the crew hasn't been developed yet. Heck, that's only Luffy, Zoro, Nami, and Usopp by then; not even Sanji has been introduced yet.

At least by manga chapter 200 (provided you haven't skipped any) you're through most of the Arabasta arc and been provided a significant amount of character insight. However, even then you're missing the remarkable emotion and sheer fun the production crew put into the anime. Heck, I have a friend that refuses to read the manga until he's watched the relevant episode to enjoy the anime more. The executed hijinks never fail to amuse him and he'd rather not spoil himself (of course, he reads the manga after watching the anime too!)

In the end, I can see how you don't empathize with the characters by skipping that much, especially if you're forcing yourself through it. If that's truly the case, you should probably stop since it's just not your cup of tea and/or you've written if off in your mind.

Quick Edit: That means you skipped all of Arlong Park in the anime too!

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

I can't imagine myself watching more anime episodes. There is way too much flashback and dragged scenes for me to care. Not to mention all the filler arc bullcrap. I like the art and animation a lot in recent episodes, but not enough to bother downloading it. The manga is much better imo, and I get a lot more story out of it than I would watching the anime version.

I wasnt planning to read the manga, but it's easy to find on One Manga, and all my rl friend are talking about it (or watch the show) when I'm around..so meh, trying to catch up.

Also, it's not that I don't empathize with the characters, I like most of them (not chopper..can't stand him), it's just that I have hard time to care about the plot and setting. I used to watch anime for the fights and comedy, but my tastes changed over time, and thing like DBZ, OP, Bleach went from "good" to "meh". I understand perfectly why people enjoy them, and that's why I try to avoid negative comment, but series like Shigofumi, Dennou Coil, Baccano, Last exile give me a much better time generally.

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Chopper can be annoying, but generally he's pretty cool. How he acts kinda changes over time and gets to be more tolerable, kind of like Usopp. He was sooooooo annoying/I hated him at first. It took a while but eventually turned really cool and is one of my favorite characters. I guess thats kind of why OP is really good, you can see how everyone changes over time.

Also if you missed Arlong Park, you're going to have to read it at some point. <.< It was a decent arc but something comes out of that later on that is kind of important. Don't want to spoil. D:

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Amelia Diremii
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

I didn't start to like Usopp until the Thriller Bark arc tbh, I like how he fakes people out.

Obviously the best character in the whole cast is Sanji though.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Leb View Post
    Obviously the best character in the whole cast is Robin though.
    Fixed for straight dudes.

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Usopp won me over with Sogeking. It's as simple as that.

Robin is good and was starting to be kind of useless, but how she used her power in this arc made my jaw drop and suddenly she's really cool again. Sanji is pretty badass, and I like how him knowing Zoro's secret is something that can HOPEFULLY patch their constant bickering. HURRAY CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Robin's search for the 'blank century' seems more central to what will eventually happen at the story's end. I like those bits where she finds out more about why the world is the way that it is.

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Correction View Post
    Robin's search for the 'blank century' seems more central to what will eventually happen at the story's end. I like those bits where she finds out more about why the world is the way that it is.
    Yeah, that's true, since it's not everyones goal to get to the end (I dont think Brooke/Zoro/Chopper really have anything to do there).

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Amelia Diremii
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

I hope they don't patch up Zoro and Sanji's bickering, it's good wholesome entertainment sometimes.

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 311 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 60 ... LastLast