Thread: One Piece Thread     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by AkashiXI View Post
    Really? If you follow the shonens, you should know which manga (atm) is introducing some amazing plots, and which is having a feud between which warrior is the prettiest.
    I'm not sure where to start....

First, I'm not praising Naruto or Bleach either.
    Second, we were talking about anime filler, and you turn this into a manga discussion
    Third, comparing a specific manga chapter to another one? Come on. You can dumb down any shonen with this attitude...
    Fourth, different style, etc. OP's author is planing to take 1000 chapters to tell a rather simple story (he said he was halfway after 500). It's probably twice as long, if not more than Naruto and Bleach will be

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

OP anime drags stuff out sometimes; fact. TB is filled with this 1 chapter = 1 episode bullshit. But alot of the other stuff isn't as bad. The only 'bad' fillers are apis arc and the goat fucker. I like anime more then manga but I still watch each weeks episode~ The animation gets alot better as the series goes on. It's pretty fucking bad for a while.

The manga on the other hand is very fast paced with no filler.

And yes I did cry like a little bitch when merry died.

AkashiXI

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylia View Post
    I'm not sure where to start....

First, I'm not praising Naruto or Bleach either.
    Second, we were talking about anime filler, and you turn this into a manga discussion
    Third, comparing a specific manga chapter to another one? Come on. You can dumb down any shonen with this attitude...
    Fourth, different style, etc. OP's author is planing to take 1000 chapters to tell a rather simple story (he said he was halfway after 500). It's probably twice as long, if not more than Naruto and Bleach will be
    Were we? Because last I checked, I never mentioned anime. If I did, I apologize, I'm strictly talking about the OP manga. I actually hate the anime tbh, outside the wonderful voice acting (and the fights. I gotta admit, they're pretty epic XD)

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Those two have a much bigger following in the US because of all the weeabo associated with them. I mean.. Naruto is about ninjas running around doing ninja stuff, bleach is about guys in modern japan with kimonos and huge swords and... one piece is about pirates sailing around on an ocean filled world.

AkashiXI

Fuck that, Luffy is the greatest protagonist ever. A lead character that actually DEPENDS on his allies' strengths!? BLASPHEMY!

blax n gunz
    BG Level

One Piece would probably have more weeaboo flavor to it if the character designs didn't make cosplay next to impossible. Plus the female cast of OP is very, very, very small. It's harder to stuff a flabby white chick into something Nami wears than, say, a Hinata costume.

Also different tastes blah blah blah.

I love OP's art direction though. I have all the Color Walk books for that very reason.

2600klub
    ǝƃuɐɥɔ ǝlʇıʇ ɥʇ01 ǝɥʇ ǝʞıl sı sıɥʇ ƃɯo ʎuunɟ ƃuıɥʇǝɯos ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ puǝıɹɟ ʇsǝq s,poƃ ǝsɹoɥ ǝɥʇ sı ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vandole Horsegod
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

holy FUCK i called that from a mile away.

Spoiler: show
    gogogo dark king

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Added a spoiler tag on Vandoles post, incase people didn't read it yet.

As far as the cosplay thing that doesn't really bother me. And with the "female cast".. I got over that really fast. Nami is cute, though by the time you get to see Robin join you probably like the show and will keep going with it anyway.

The art in OP is really great. I love the group shots with everyone around, partying and enjoying themselves and stuff. If you look at stuff like Bleach they're all standing around brooding, looking emo etc. Naruto is the same way, the main theme is emo/jealousy while One Pieces is friends/adventure.

AkashiXI

Quote Originally Posted by Correction View Post
    One Piece would probably have more weeaboo flavor to it if the character designs didn't make cosplay next to impossible. Plus the female cast of OP is very, very, very small. It's harder to stuff a flabby white chick into something Nami wears than, say, a Hinata costume.

Also different tastes blah blah blah.

I love OP's art direction though. I have all the Color Walk books for that very reason.
    Lol... seriously? <_< Look at Luffy: a red shirt, blue shorts (tattered), and a straw hat. All you need to be is fairly skinny (luffy has next to no muscles normally drawn) and you're set. Sanji/Zoro is easy too, Usopp is kind of meh because of the fro, and Mootsfox could easily pull off a good chopper. I'll agree with you on the girls, normally drawn they look like a model: thin, anorexic and hugely tall. There's only 4 real females in the story that makes an impact so... yeah, I'll agree with you on that. D:

AkashiXI

Quote Originally Posted by Not Kuno View Post

The art in OP is really great. I love the group shots with everyone around, partying and enjoying themselves and stuff. If you look at stuff like Bleach they're all standing around brooding, looking emo etc. Naruto is the same way, the main theme is emo/jealousy while One Pieces is friends/adventure.
    QFT! After ANY adventure they're always partying, singing, drinking, eating... like a typical pirate crew. The entire show is set around nakama, and time after time they embellish this theme throughout the arcs. I like how Ichigo fights for his friends (IKE IKE IKE) but at the end of the day... it's Ichigo who uses his massive-like powers to defeat the enemy. Although this is SIMILAR in One-Piece, 95% of the time Luffy is aided throughout fights so he can finally gather enough power to beat the mega boss. But hey, that's what you'll usually get from a typical anime: a main hero who uses his very last strength to summon his incredible power to defeat all odds. But at least in OP, the main protagonist is a complete fool. Seriously, without the navigation of Nami, the sheer power of Zoro, the mechanical prowess of Usopp, the architectural mind of Robin, etc etc... Luffy would be an absolute moron who would most likely get himself killed even farther up in the series. But yeah, that's my main pet peeve for most animes: towards the beginning of the series, the main hero depends on his friends to achieve any goal, but towards the end he's like a one man wrecking crew.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

My point is that OP cosplay is about as easy as Disney cosplay. The characters have a lot more 'cartoon' in them than either Bleach or Naruto, which leaves the cosplay options at the main male cast, excluding probably Franky and Brook.

I think even then that's pushing it, given that human proportions are not the artistic focus of the book in general. Hands/feet get massive when it helps the artwork, as an obvious example. OP is clearly drawing artistic inspiration from western influences (Walt Kelly, Clampett).

Other shonen series tend to make relatively featureless faces on their characters and give them ordinary builds, leaving everything up to costuming detail and haircuts, which are the bread and butter of cosplay.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zeb Adiah
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

And how many people watch animes or read mangas for their cosplay value?

blax n gunz
    BG Level

I'm just explaining the difference in how weeaboo the audience of a manga can get as a function of how much they can dress like their favorite characters.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by AkashiXI
    Were we? Because last I checked, I never mentioned anime. If I did, I apologize, I'm strictly talking about the OP manga. I actually hate the anime tbh, outside the wonderful voice acting (and the fights. I gotta admit, they're pretty epic XD)
    Well, I thought you were talking about anime fillers. I rarely consider "filler" content wrote by the original author, unless it has absolutely no impact on anything, and is not funny.

Anyway, you need to stop bashing Bleach and Naruto at the first occasion. I don't really care if you hate them, they aren't great, but saying it's the story that make OP superior is ridiculous imo. It's like watching a competition between snails, and betting on which one is the fastest.

People who enjoy Bleach, Naruto or One Pieces most likely watch those shows because the characters grew on them for w/e reason. It's not really important why, but if people like seeing those characters, it's probably because the author did something right. Nobody who enjoys Bleach will suddently go "why was i watching this shit" if they give One Piece a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Correction
    One Piece would probably have more weeaboo flavor to it if the character designs didn't make cosplay next to impossible. Plus the female cast of OP is very, very, very small. It's harder to stuff a flabby white chick into something Nami wears than, say, a Hinata costume
    The ridiculous setting is probably a bigger issue than the ability to cosplay character. Elastic guy who want to become the greatest pirate... No matter how good or bad the anime is, most people will be turned off by this. The character's design also seem to target a younger audience, even if it's not entirely the case.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylia View Post
    The ridiculous setting is probably a bigger issue than the ability to cosplay character. Elastic guy who want to become the greatest pirate... No matter how good or bad the anime is, most people will be turned off by this. The character's design also seem to target a younger audience, even if it's not entirely the case.
    I don't agree that it's a turn off. It simply appeals to a different sensibility in people. Books like Naruto/Bleach take the ordinary formulae of shonen comics and do them well. One Piece does that AND transports me to worlds that are exciting. Strong design is fucking appealing to everyone.

did this hatefest start cause i mentioned how OP is losing popularity in the states and i didn't understand why? if so, sorry lol
    i'll admit, i'm a fan of both one piece and naruto. now bleach...

i used to read bleach too, but after soulsociety i found the new storyline dull. although it is sometimes cool to see ichigo bust out bankai and rape the shit out of stuff (grimmjaw was good)... like now, the 4 guardian LTs? the fuck is that shit man, seriously. its been going on for a few weeks, this everlasting bullshit of stuff. bleach gtfo now, maybe when the viziars arrive i'll check it out again.

naruto i like. i never said it in the naruto thread cause i'd get raped, but sasuke has to be one of my most favorite cartoon characters lol i like the character designs for the most part, rasengan and chidori along with the traits are extremely cool imo and the artist's style suits my taste.

one piece, currently, is easily the most loved manga in asia if not only for its long history but because of its upbeatness and wacky humor. but it could be a cultural difference, who knows? others have already said it, the comedy and art style might not be appealing to everyone and its cool, i mean everyone has the preferences right?

anyway my point is, everyone has their tastes and no need to make this thread a 2nd generation harlem lol
    that said, i cannot fucking wait for next weeks' OP and naruto. as much as i like sasuke, i wanna see him get owned more... and need i say more for how the epic scale on OP seems to have no end? i'm afraid of being disappointed eventually cause how the fuck is oda gonna make stuff more awesome than it already is?

edit: leb, nah man hitman is by someone else definately lol the artstyle is different. i like hitman too, the mafia stuff really sucked me in when they started the ring fights and stuff. i gotta admit, the beginning was hard to take in and the current box-SSJ is kinda whaaaa? but its still pretty good

ps: i fucking cried when merry died, shit i never thought i'd cry while reading comics lol the part when robin screams 'i wanna live' was pretty amazing too

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Fuck I made a huge post about how godly One Piece is but dumbass me accidentally close my browser >_> but the real point I am trying to make is for the people who not watching One Piece are really missing out something big.
    Luffy using gear 2nd for the first time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mpl9Ee0jhQ

Luffy vs Enel (awesome villain): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQlnB2k0Avw

Spoiler: show
    FUCK YES ADMIRAL KIZARU VS THE DARK KING I WANT NEXT CHAPTER NOWfjkngjidfhgbjixdfhbgiuh

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Sorry if this was obvious, but are the people complaining about One Piece actually up-to-date with it?

Usually, despite how bad something is, I don't comment on it until I'm up-to-date or have seen it all. Perhaps that makes too much sense .-.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Delenn View Post
    Sorry if this was obvious, but are the people complaining about One Piece actually up-to-date with it?

Usually, despite how bad something is, I don't comment on it until I'm up-to-date or have seen it all. Perhaps that makes too much sense .-.
    If one book, one season, one game, or one movie isnt enough to catch someone attention, I would say they are allowed to complain. Sure, some good stuff might come later, but there is a limit to how much you can ask.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Adrianne Lehmen
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Where's a good place to go watch One Piece at? The last time I remember watching is was right when Enel was introduced. Youtube only has it in spanish, and I can't find them on Veoh. :/

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 311 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 59 ... LastLast