+ Reply to Thread
    Groovebox

David Mamet's New MMA Film

The movie is called Redbelt. I know there are a lot of MMA fans on this board, and I thought this looked pretty cool. It looks like he is using real fighters. I'm a fan of Mamet, so I'll be checking it out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M18pszt8 ... re=related

Also features Tim Allen in a toughguy role >.>

Re: David Mamet's New MMA Film

Randy Couture is in it too, and helping direct/produce? I think?

Chiwetel Ejiofor... love that guy. Even his name owns.

Groovebox

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNLove
    Chiwetel Ejiofor... love that guy. Even his name owns.
    Yeah, he rocks. I really liked him in Dirty Pretty Things. I hope this movie does the MMA scene some justice.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

I think it would've done MMA justice until they tossed the marble idea into it.

It'll still be decent, Mamet doesn't make shitty movies. I was wondering when this would come out.

the elephant whisperer
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

the marble/handicap thing hurts my brain.

I don't see why they added that in the mix, but it looks like it might be decent enough for me to pirate, unlike Never Back Down. There's like 3 more MMA movies coming out in the next year or two.

the elephant whisperer
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Remy0
    I don't see why they added that in the mix, but it looks like it might be decent enough for me to pirate, unlike Never Back Down. There's like 3 more MMA movies coming out in the next year or two.
    there's a few of them that don't seem too bad in the pipeline...just can't understand the marble thing for the life of me...just unnecessary. that never back down movie makes me want to stab an infant in the eye every time i see the ad for it...the producers of that shit are going to burn in the 8th circle of hell. (reading inferno atm, couldn't help it)

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Finally saw this tonight (limited release, started rolling out last weekend).

Small spoilers/Opinions ahead - it's a movie that's been released so don't bitch if you keep reading.

It's not really an "MMA movie" - that's more the setting. It sets up a slow burn of pressures on the lead character that start to force him to compromise who he is and do things he wouldn't normally. If you haven't seen the trailer but think you might be interested in a "David Mamet MMA movie" do yourself a favor, don't see the trailer, see the movie. The trailer reveals way too much, and watching the girl I took to it gasp at plot points being revealed which she didn't know about going in would've been a nicer way to see it. (She liked it by the way, even though I kinda tricked her into going, she thought we were seeing "Son of Rambow")

That being said, there are a few really intense, knock the wind out moments even for myself, the acting is very good (Sonia Braga's lilting through english with her accent was awkward, but she's playing a Brazillian, so whatever), the fighting is about as good as could be expected, and the 3-stones thing they set up as the centerpiece in the trailer is nearly an afterthought - don't worry about it, it doesn't affect the enjoyment of the movie, even as an MMA fan.

Criticisms include that Mamet's dialogue is a bit...well, Mamet-y - awkward and stagey at times, but that's just how the motherfucker has been writing for years. You either like it or hate it. There is one plot point that is kind of a "what the fuck, no" and the thing gets a little overblown in the final 8 minutes or so, but I forgive it.

It's a pretty good film, if it comes to your town, I'd encourage you to see it. If you haven't seen the trailer - DON'T - just trust me.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

i saw it friday. its fine except for the huge plot holes and the mediocre ending. local media gave it a mid range rating and i have to agree with them.