Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Coming back to FFXI, worth it?

I quit like a yr ago and I didn't really play for friends, I played for items etc. Eventually I got bored and quit, after I got my dalm and decided that it wasn't worth the subscription fee. My account is gone, I sold it, so I'd have to start over w/ no gil etc and get sea access again. I've been hearing tons of people have been quitting so it's hard to level/find people for missions.

Anyway, yeah, worth it? Also, what's changed? I remember that puk camps were all the rage and the only party I'd merit with was rdm/4warriors/brd(me). Is the 2H change big? Is dancer/scholar fun?

Re: Coming back to FFXI, worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by chillin
    I quit like a yr ago and I didn't really play for friends, I played for items etc. Eventually I got bored and quit, after I got my dalm and decided that it wasn't worth the subscription fee. My account is gone, I sold it, so I'd have to start over w/ no gil etc and get sea access again. I've been hearing tons of people have been quitting so it's hard to level/find people for missions.

Anyway, yeah, worth it? Also, what's changed? I remember that puk camps were all the rage and the only party I'd merit with was rdm/4warriors/brd(me). Is the 2H change big? Is dancer/scholar fun?
    They adjusted CoP mission BCs so that you don't lose exp when you die inside, and you get an exp/limit award for repeating, to provide incentive for people to help out others with sea access. I'm sure if you looked up some of your old buddies who helped you get that dalm you RMTed, they'd be more than happy to lend you a hand for old times sake, right? Hope this helped!

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

/DNC is practically a required sub now for melees.

Quote Originally Posted by evilpaul
    Really? My DNC is 0 and I'm not exactly missing it.

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

If you played for items and not for friends, then this game is not worth coming back to as getting items in this game is very hard unless you roleplay a mithra from montana who gets first dibs on all salvage peices.

Quote Originally Posted by chillin

If you're asking about team-playability, it's still the same. Unorganized merit parties are still the rage, HNM still have campers. Itemwise it's still the same thing, nothing new or spectacular.

2H Change was big when it first came out (think this way - DRG could solo merit on VT @ 75, 10 SAM could take down Fafnir in 2 minutes) but those fixes were applied so that now 2h is almost as equivalent as dualwield/nin, if not better by marginal percentages.

Missions, especially from the earlier expansions are getting harder and harder to complete nowadays. There isn't as much people out either caring or needing nation missions done. From late 30+ ToaU missions on though, is where all the "low jeuno shouts" are at now.

CoP is made easier as Suiram said.

DNC and SCH isn't fully implemented yet, there is still no AF nor real determination where they fit endgame is that is your interest.

Vistani?

----------------
    Now playing: Liquid Tension Experiment - Chewbacca

Quote Originally Posted by Lordwafik
    If you played for items and not for friends, then this game is not worth coming back to as getting items in this game is very hard unless you roleplay a mithra from montana who gets first dibs on all salvage peices.
    I heard amas does that.

Banned.

BG Level

Yeah, unless you play WHM, RDM, BRD and BLM (because they can solo) you will need to eventually farm for gear which still sucks, and the novelity of every job fades away in the 55-70 grind, when the xp leaps are big, the parties are few and the defacto mob is colibri,crawler, imp.

WHM, BRD and RDM are super cheap and can be gimped to 75 with AF and rest of gear is very cheap.

Amas is from Eastern US and Vistani is an Australian ex-con scumbag, but you're getting close!

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by aurik
    Really? My DNC is 0 and I'm not exactly missing it.
    It won't help you stare at Darters for hours on end or anything, but it has it's uses.

Plus it's cool having a scroll bar in your JAs as MNK/DNC. :bagel:

>_> How the hell does soloing as /DNC make it a required sub?

----------------
    Now playing: In Flames - F(r)iend

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Fine. It's worthless. Don't level it, use it, think about using it, etc.

Fine. It's worthless. Don't level it, use it, think about using it, etc.
    Holy false dilemma batman.

The Veriest Berriest
    Pretty Pretty Princess

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

It may be required in some LSes, just because your LS doesn't use it doesn't mean others don't. As far as my experience with it, it's definitely a way to make a melee job more independent during certain assaults. Similar to a rdm's self sufficiency though not nearly as good without utsusemi (sub it on nin brings it close to being like a rdm with more damage).

Keep in mind this is the newbie section, so please, this is to everyone in this thread. Do not pull the elitest shit here.

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

Ill say right now that I love DNC sub, especially the monks and sams in dynamis, the ability for an extra aoe mass cure, the drain effect, and when I go out on stuff as nin without a healer or with a healer busy with other stuff, dnc sub makes life awesome.

I wouldnt say its an endgame required thing, but it opens up your horizons a significant amount, and before you pull the "just get a second character lol" I have a 75 WHM and a 75 BRD second character (2 accounts), so not having to bring them or using them for something other than cure spam is awesome.

I'm not arguing it has it's uses, I'm arguing the statement that he said it's a required sub, because lol.
    A MNK not having /DNC is definitely not on the same degree of a RDM not having /WHM.

----------------
    Now playing: In Flames - The Quiet Place

The Veriest Berriest
    Pretty Pretty Princess

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Seditedi
    I'm not arguing it has it's uses, I'm arguing the statement that he said it's a required sub, because lol.
    A MNK not having /DNC is definitely not on the same degree of a RDM not having /WHM.
    I'm just trying to catch it before it starts, it isn't directed at you only, everyone in this thread. A pre-drama action if you will.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Seditedi
    Those pesky adverbs do actually mean things.

There's a lot of things you can do as /DNC that you can't do at all, or can't do with nearly the same ease, with other subs. If you have it leveled, you already know that. If you don't have it leveled and don't do things like Campaign battles where /DNC truly shines (more as NIN/DNC than MNK/DNC imho) to see other people using it, then you don't know what you're talking about.

I didn't say that /DNC was required to get into YourServersUberLS and sit in DA, VoS, etc. But if you're on a melee job and enjoying basically any post-Zilart content that doesn't involve Wyrms and Cerberus /DNC is quite possibly useful there. (Soloing/farming, Campaign, some Assaults, Limbus, Sky/Sea farming, etc) So, you'll have to forgive me for thinking that there's content besides Tiamat that people who haven't played the game in a while might want to know about. Just because it was...specifically asked about and all.

Anyone who wants to further pummel any frightful strawmen they can conjure up from this post can go ahead, I won't reply again.

"Useful for several end-gamish events" is nowhere near the same thing as "practically required". I think it's just plain bad advice to say /dnc is "practically required" for someone coming back with a fresh character.