Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
    Fake Numbers
    BG Level

/sam vs /war vs /thf vs /nin on a DRK

ok so now that i got all my ws gear figured out for guillotines the question lies in when is /sam better then /war
    for me we do salvage i sometimes go as drk i have found /nin usless... /war seems that i would kill myself with the dmg spikes .. since i go in a small group soo /sam best idea there? and in merit i rly have to say using ur head with /war u pull off way more DMG with all the DA n such.. (specially with a cor in pt <3) um then u get the whole... /thf in sky to sata!? thing going... soo yeah help me out! ^^ ty oh and what is best for dynamis aswell.

Re: /sam vs /war vs /thf vs /nin on a DRK

/SAM would be your best bet for most situations such as Salvage/Dynamis/etc.
    Misc. HNM you could try /THF for SA Ground Strike and such, but you'll probably be better off with /SAM.

----------------
    Now playing: In Flames - Drifter

/sam for life. No holding back, accept no substitute.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

/SAM always.

/WAR is fun for double attacking Guillotines, but never use it on anything serious, or even in merit parties (the only thing that I take it to is Besieged or Campaign because it's fun to crack 4,000 Guillotines with Giant's Drink on and not lose any EXP when you die thereafter).

/THF is fun for Cerberus or maybe some other HNMs, but overall it sucks because it drops your damage by like 1/3.

/NIN is useless unless you have a Ridill and are fully merited for that specific setup.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

k cool tyvm i figured as much on the /sam but thought i ask :D really liking drk atm soo been touching it up D:

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Serefina Solfyre
    FFXIV Server
    Odin
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

/sam > /war

Sure /war puts out bigger spikes, but /sam is all about speed and that's the whole concept of damage over time is it not? Faster, slightly weaker hits and greater frequency of weaponskills over spikes. Double Attack doesn't have increasing returns in the same way that haste does, so with high end haste gear, Hasso's 10% Haste offers more than /war's 10% DA boost.

And yeah, /sam you have to cancel seigan/hasso etc... it's a skilful subjob, but incredibly powerful once you know it.

/thf is HNM only, never in exp. /sam is sometimes used there too.

/nin is for when you absolutely need the defences, wouldn't bother otherwise. If a party requires you on /nin in merits (especially colibri!) then their other DDs probably suck. You shouldn't sponge that much as long as you understand Dread Spikes/Seigan and don't get your Dread Spikes on a 2x recast due to Hasso or Seigan being up.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

/SAM, except when you need to tank anything where Third Eye and Seigan won't cut it, such as Salvage bosses without a dmg reduction set or somesuch.

Quote Originally Posted by Raen Ryong
    Sure /war puts out bigger spikes, but /sam is all about speed and that's the whole concept of damage over time is it not? Faster, slightly weaker hits and greater frequency of weaponskills over spikes.
    This irritates me when people say it. Hitting 10 times for 60 in 1 minute is the exact same thing as hitting 6 times for 100 in 1 minute. The former is not 'higher DOT', it's simply more frequent damage. The result is the same.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fryte Avarise
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

My favorite things about DRK/SAM:

1. 5-hit build
    2. Hasso
    3. Dread Spikes for guilt-free Hasso use
    4. Seigan when Dread Spikes on recast
    5. Meditate

Hasso+a nice Haste build+5hit setup makes weaponskills rain from the sky.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Serefina Solfyre
    FFXIV Server
    Odin
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Wizerd
    /SAM, except when you need to tank anything where Third Eye and Seigan won't cut it, such as Salvage bosses without a dmg reduction set or somesuch.

Quote Originally Posted by Raen Ryong
    Sure /war puts out bigger spikes, but /sam is all about speed and that's the whole concept of damage over time is it not? Faster, slightly weaker hits and greater frequency of weaponskills over spikes.
    This irritates me when people say it. Hitting 10 times for 60 in 1 minute is the exact same thing as hitting 6 times for 100 in 1 minute. The former is not 'higher DOT', it's simply more frequent damage. The result is the same.
    Well, the difference isn't 40 or so damage so it does add up to be far more over time. The less hits required to 100% TP and Meditate means you excel in DoT also through sheer frequency of WS.

[quote=Raen Ryong]
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizerd

Quote Originally Posted by "Raen Ryong":2n9crtkl
    Well, the difference isn't 40 or so damage so it does add up to be far more over time. The less hits required to 100% TP and Meditate means you excel in DoT also through sheer frequency of WS.[/quote:2n9crtkl]

Yeah, but you're not seeing Wizerd's point (even though I am positive you can). Even though it's less hits required to hit 100% TP, spike damage also is applicable for WS under /war for larger numbers.

What do you need for a 5-hit build?
    I thought they could only get a 6-hit.

Failed Sex Ed
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Fryte
    :D

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by shaddix
    Quote Originally Posted by Fryte
    :D
    Cast dread spikes, use hasso, last resort, sit back and giggle.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Seditedi
    What do you need for a 5-hit build?
    I thought they could only get a 6-hit.
    You're right. He means "five hits after Guillotine connects fully" which most of us would consider to be a 6-hit build. The difference is in the semantics.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

lol well.. all i have left to say is ... my drk/sam killed sam/dnc in pvp lastnight.... <3 goodbai