BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xerlic Jilrak
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Warrior Combat and Group 1 Merits

I'm looking for advice on merits for Warrior. First and foremost, WAR is a merit job and possibly a Dynamis job for me. I usually merit at either the mamool or colibri camp at Nyzul Bhaflau. Given my other jobs, I probably will never do HNM on WAR.

I've done searches and there seem to be differing opinions on Gaxe vs. Dualwielding. I do have a Ridill, so am probably going to do 8 Sword but not sure if I should put the other 4 into Axe or Great Axe. Since I'm already leaning towards a dualwield setup, I should do 4 axe? I already have 8 Hand to Hand and don't really want to remove those.

As far as group 1s, I was originally going to do 5 Berserk/5 Aggressor since double attack hurts Ridill triple proc rate (not sure on this), but the double attack merits would help with Gaxe. I was thinking 4/4/2 (2 double attack). Thanks.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Re: Warrior Combat and Group 1 Merits

Bergressor seems to be the most popular for WAR merits.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

not a 75 war, so take with a grain of salt.

it isn't so much that double attack hurts ridill as that it appears to be a wash (there is some debate that it does affect it negatively a little, but it's hard to be 100%)

aggressor merits are less awesome if you use gaxe primarily - I would probably go 5/5 berserk/double attack - although this will put your berserk and aggressor timers out of lock-step if you normally use them simultaneously.

other common setups include 4/3/3 da/ber/agg which is common for axe/axe users and the previously mentioned 5/5 ber/agg for ridill.

if you're planning to do ridill setups mostly I would do 5/5 ber/agg. if you like gaxe style, doing a 4/3/3 or 5/5 da/berserk will probably make you happier.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ferien Terzo
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I'm 3/3/4. No Ridill, mostly /SAM with Great Axe, so the DA merits are really nice. The issue with Ridill was actually proven a while ago from what I remember, that it actually procs triples less frequently than singles and doubles (something like 30/50/20) and that adding DA reduced the Triple procs more than it reduced the singles, so it's either a reduction or a wash as Amele said. There were some threads about it a while ago, use search to dig them up.

Regardless, if you plan on using Ridill most of the time, go 5/5 Bergressor. If you like Great Axe more, 5 Berserk, 5 DA is probably the most effective, but if you're like me and absolutely hate having your timers offset, 3/3/4 is a nice compromise.

The Combat merits follow the same vein. 8 Axe and 8 Sword is really nice for Axe/Ridill, but if you've already got most of your combat merits locked up in H2H, 8 sword 4 axe would work fine as well. Just remember, ideal Great Axe setups have been shown to be either at par with or better than ideal Ridill builds, so the more limited your DW setup will be, the more appealing Great Axe becomes.

If it's just a nyzul merit/dyna job, I'd go 5serk/5agg and 4 axe merits and stick with DW. Rid/joy at birds, man or jugg/rid on mamool, and axe/rid in dyna (I'll be honest and admit I haven't used WAR much in Xarc, so I don't know if Gaxe works better than DW there, but on the other hand club supposedly thwarts them both).

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

If you pump 5 merits into Warcry and get your account hacked, it will be returned in a little over a week. True story.

3/3/4 and never changing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Xerlic
    I'm looking for advice on merits for Warrior. First and foremost, WAR is a merit job and possibly a Dynamis job for me. I usually merit at either the mamool or colibri camp at Nyzul Bhaflau. Given my other jobs, I probably will never do HNM on WAR.

I've done searches and there seem to be differing opinions on Gaxe vs. Dualwielding. I do have a Ridill, so am probably going to do 8 Sword but not sure if I should put the other 4 into Axe or Great Axe. Since I'm already leaning towards a dualwield setup, I should do 4 axe? I already have 8 Hand to Hand and don't really want to remove those.

As far as group 1s, I was originally going to do 5 Berserk/5 Aggressor since double attack hurts Ridill triple proc rate (not sure on this), but the double attack merits would help with Gaxe. I was thinking 4/4/2 (2 double attack). Thanks.
    Since you plan on using WAR just for merit and Dynamis and planning on Dual Wielding most of the time, just go 5berserk/5aggressor and 8 Sword/4Axe

Unless you wanna HNM with it then don't really bother with meriting for Gaxe(even though it can perform nicely in merit, you can't go wrong with meriting for your Ridill)

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Starr
    3/3/4 and never changing it.
    same for me.. but i do not want a ridill, but if i had gotten one then no doubt i'd go 5/5 ber/agg. also, if your sword/sword build is good enough, it is just as good as any other weapon combo vs mamools, vorpal blade is a hell of a ws.

I wouldn't bother to change them even if I got Ridill.

3/3/4 seems to most fitting combo for both Ridill and GA users for exp/merippo pts, especially since 2handed wpns were unnerfed. On the other hand - I would say Bergressor > DA on any HNMs. I prefer to hit HARDER for longer period of time than more FREQUENTLY since this 'feeding mob with TP' phobia. That's why I choose not to change my 5/5/0 combo after unnerf.

Overall, I would say WAR for merippo = 3/3/4; WAR for HNMs (and merippo) = 5/5/0.

3/3/4 and G.axe for life.

Tom Wilson will never be good.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zero Star
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

4/4/2 Dual Wield, rarely Gaxe.

Aggressor will help your Ridill out a ton, no clue why someone said 5Berserk/5Double for a Ridill WAR.

I would go 4Axe/8Sword as well. You are only Meriting/Dyna so I am betting you won't be caring about Gaxe.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Judai
    4/4/2 Dual Wield, rarely Gaxe.

Aggressor will help your Ridill out a ton, no clue why someone said 5Berserk/5Double for a Ridill WAR.

I would go 4Axe/8Sword as well. You are only Meriting/Dyna so I am betting you won't be caring about Gaxe.
    he mentioned that he liked gaxe *shrugs* they're pretty comparable overall now, so if he prefers the 2h style to ridill it's not like it's going to make his ridill gimp.

THIS IS BREGOR'S STORY
    Beard +1

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I was wondering about this myself, leveling WAR for meripo, 72 now and I just got Perdu Voulge so I'll probably use that most of the time. I've been using Wardancer GA (staticing with a BRD) and either Woodville/Joyeuse or Woodville/Iron Ram when I dual wield, I wasn't parsing but Wood/IR seemed to be the best. I hope Perdu was worth it... Was always planning on 5/5 Bergressor but from what others have said 3/3/4 is intriguing.

Also, group 2 merits... does anyone use Tomahawk? My initial thought was 3 Warrior's Charge/3 Savagery, but I'm open to any suggestions.

Tomahawk is good for JoT.. and it probably removes the damage immunities on the Apollyon where mobs have piercing/blunt/slashing immunities while Tomahawk is in effect.
    Probably be a good idea to merit it.
    Tbh I wouldn't put anything in Savagery.
    30 TP bonus isn't that great.

That type of laziness = fail

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xerlic Jilrak
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

My linkshell regularly does Einherjar, and Tomahawk is awesome for when you get amorphs there. I was planning to do Tomahawk for that reason lol.

Anyways, thanks for all of the responses. Definitely confirmed my suspicion that there is no 1 ideal setup, kinda like RDM group 1s.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Quote Originally Posted by Seditedi
    Tomahawk is good for JoT.. and it probably removes the damage immunities on the Apollyon where mobs have piercing/blunt/slashing immunities while
    It doesn't work as well as you'd think. It doesn't remove the immunities entirely, at least in that limbus. Instead of doing 0% damage with slashing, I'll maybe do like 10%, I'm not sure exactly, but it's very low. You're certainly much better off just bringing piercing/blunt weapons than trying to rely on tomahawk. Does it remove immunities entirely from normal resistant mobs like elementals/slimes/etc, or just lower them like in this case?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ferien Terzo
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Tomahawk is ok...nothing special, but for the situations it's useful for, it's good. Worth at least having, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Seditedi
    That type of laziness = fail
    I'd love to know what you think the difference in damage is with 4% double attack Vs 20 seconds of Bergressor is on axe/ridill, and what's a great axe? 3/3/4 is the most versatile.