+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Relic Shield
    BG Level

How to break this laptop with it looking like an accident.

I have a warranty on this laptop where if I drop it/break it I get a new one on the spot (If they cant repair it in the store). I get a laptop of lower or equal value (Wonders if it goes down as new laptops get released or if I still get my 1,200 bucks). So any suggestions?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Re: How to break this laptop with it looking like an accident.

Is it best buy?

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Saphirea
    Is it best buy?
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Ikith
    I have a warranty on this laptop where if I drop it/break it I get a new one on the spot
    I dunno... drop it?

Maybe out the third story of a building? Claim your dog knocked it out of the window of your apartment?

Hayleystrator
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

They don't cover physical. If the guy told you it did, he lied so you would buy the warranty. Unless you have it in writing from them, you're only fucking yourself over by dropping it. =(

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Epical
    They don't cover physical. If the guy told you it did, he lied so you would buy the warranty. Unless you have it in writing from them, you're only fucking yourself over by dropping it. =(
    Thats jay... I will have to look into this.

The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Really high powered magnet?

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Windred Sayna
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Turalyon

Quote Originally Posted by Tyche
    Really high powered magnet?

Un-Rad Conrad
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Definitely don't put in writing that you're planning on breaking the laptop and making it look like an accident. That way you don't have a trail with which they can get back to you.

I'd think of something, then call them pretending you did that.

Tell them you dropped it out of your third story window, or dog knocked it out, before you actually do. Maybe call a different store from the one you'd be returning to. That way you can see if its covered or not before actually doing it :D

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

You come up with the weirdest fucking shit I swear..

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaru

Tell them you dropped it out of your third story window, or dog knocked it out, before you actually do. Maybe call a different store from the one you'd be returning to. That way you can see if its covered or not before actually doing it :D
    Best bet is to just fuck it up electrically so theres no sign of you harming it. You could try shorting out the MB and other necessary components, then they'd basically have to give you a new one.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Keno
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaru

Best bet is to just fuck it up electrically so theres no sign of you harming it. You could try shorting out the MB and other necessary components, then they'd basically have to give you a new one.
    How to without the risk of harming myself?

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pyrena Py
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

You get your full $1200. At least, my mom was at the end of her 3 year warranty, and kept having the same problem with her DVD drive. When they couldn't fix it the third time, they told her to go ahead and spend another $1200.

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level

trail is getting bigger....

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

As one who used to work in bestbuy's tech part especially with warrentys.

Unless your Product Services Plan SPECIFICALLY says it covers accidental damage, then it doesn't.

The best suggestion is calling a store with a fabricated story. Only thing is, even if it does cover accidental damage, they will still probably send it to their service center before they'll replace it. So ask about that before bringing that in as well.

Calling is your best bet... Get their Name and Phone number and everything else.

I used work to in the computer section of best buy for many years. If the you bought the computer over 1.5- 2 years ago they did not offer accidental PSPs at the time and any sign of negligence will void the warranty. Also, as far as replacement goes, they will send it out to the service center regardless and they have to deem it unfixable or not worth fixing. Then, they call you, and you get a laptop of comparible specs, not equal value that you paid. They will tell you technology degrades and so does the value of what you bought. You cant buy a 50" shitty plasma 4 years ago for 5000-6000 bucks, have it break, and get to get a plasma worth 5k-6k again. Unless you have a really cool manager at the store who likes you as a customer for whatever reason they will give you most likely the cheapest computer there, which will be most likely better than what you have, to compensate. You have to buy the warranty again.

As far as breaking it goes, try to surge the motherboard. Seeing as everything is integrated in those things, for the most part, that will get you a new one.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

They switched to accidental damage plans as well with laptops but they cost your arm, leg and firstborn male child.

Get a 12v wire, touch it somewhere on the memory expansion slot area (plastic covered removed obviously), then apply the wire to any solder point. Should be enough to fry it without any burn-mark indication.

Goodluck.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsumi
    Get a 12v wire, touch it somewhere on the memory expansion slot area (plastic covered removed obviously), then apply the wire to any solder point. Should be enough to fry it without any burn-mark indication.

Goodluck.
    worked at the compusa tech shop about a year ago, guy did this... except with jumper cables. came in, laptop was charcoal black. you could see the physical marks on the bezel from the teeth of the jumper cables. we obviously didnt give him his replacement.

basically, just dig into the laptop as deep as you can. take it apart, rip out some transistor, as long as it would be hard to identify and find, you're going to be just fine.