+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Metal Gear Solid on GCN     submit to reddit submit to twitter

You think this is the real Dmitry?
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Metal Gear Solid on GCN

Not too sure if this belongs here but I figured I'd ask. Have any of you played the remake for the Gamecube? The back of the case says it combines 1 and 2 which confuses me, but my friend said that it's just the first game remade with the 2nd games engine with extra things like the first-person view. He also said they changed the cutscenes and made them less realistic (something along the lines of Snake being a superhero...).

Anyhow, just wondering what your opinions would be on picking this up, or just waiting for the MGS collection coming out soon and just play them all on the PS2.

Re: Metal Gear Solid on GCN

I'd wait for the collection. MGS was never hugely realistic in it's enemies, but Snake has never really done anything out of the ordinary in cutscenes. Nothing that I couldn't believe anyway.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Wait it out for the collection to be released. TTS is worth a buy if you already own a Gamecube and can get past some of the ridiculous things that happen in cutscenes (ie. Snake backflipping from everything). Ideally, you'd get both the collection and TTS but if you had to choose one, collection > TTS.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Reapz Sjc
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I watched some of the CS of Twin Snakes on Youtube and I couldn't help but lol at the changes to them

Quote Originally Posted by Reapz
    I watched some of the CS of Twin Snakes on Youtube and I couldn't help but lol at the changes to them
    Dialogue was changed from the original too in some places. Made a playthrough really odd.
    I think one of Vulcan Raven's dialogues is cut in half compared to the original on PS1.

Plus some of the voice actors changed which made the characters more annoying or harder to bear. (Mei Ling is a preppy american now iirc, no accent. Fail)
    Not to mention some of the voice actors routinely mis-pronounce their dialogue which really gives you some "wtf!?" moments.

And when it says combines MGS 1 and 2 it means MGS1 with MGS2 Graphics and tweaks. Anything you could do in 2 you can do in 1.

You think this is the real Dmitry?
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Ah, ok. I might just pick it up anyway since I can get it for probably less than $20. I never got a chance to play these games the first time around since I never had a playstation, but MGS4 looks really cool, so I wanted to play through all of them before getting into that one when it comes out.

On the note of the collection, do any of you guys know what all is going to be in it?

Sea Torques
    BG Level

I'd pick it up if it's only $20. If you haven't played the original, you won't notice anything wrong with TTS.

Mind directing me to some info on the collection for PS2?
    Doesn't appear to have any scheduled release date for North America..............
    edit: nvm IGN fails, confirmed for March 18, 2008 on Gamespot.
    Also, from Konami's website it just looks like a straight reissue of MGS1 is included.
    If that is the case, I'd say definitely go pick up the GCN version. MGS1 looks very dated nowadays.

Just picked it up last night for GC. Not going into detail but Its nice so far.