Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: BST in salvage     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Relic Shield
    BG Level

BST in salvage

how well does it do ? from looking at it from the outside, the pet not being restricted by all the status down and locked armor effects seems like it would be a wrecking ball.

Re: BST in salvage

i never went as bst, but a friend of mine did.
    but bst is never seen in good light or as being useful for some reason, and as such he didnt get ability unlock until pretty much everyone else had it already.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Wouldn't it require ranged cell and ability cell (just to make the pet viable)? In my shell the first ranged goes to the brd and the first ability cell goes to the tank. I guess it would depend on the zone, but monsters on the first floor are so weak that having a bst pet wouldn't be any better than having a fully nerfed monk destroying the mob. In some zones where cells are abundant and you can easily unlock everyone, there would be no benefit to having an unnerfed pet (since a well geared unlocked mnk war or rng can easily destroy a bst pet's dot). In other zones (like arrapago or zhayolm) where certain cells (like ranged and ability) are rare, it wouldn't make much sense to give them to the bst over a more useful job (i'd rather see my brd with that ranged cell and i'd like my tank and rdm to have ability cells).

Quote Originally Posted by Hoshiku
    Wouldn't it require ranged cell and ability cell (just to make the pet viable)?
    yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoshiku
    In my shell the first ranged goes to the brd and the first ability cell goes to the tank. I guess it would depend on the zone, but monsters on the first floor are so weak that having a bst pet wouldn't be any better than having a fully nerfed monk destroying the mob. In some zones where cells are abundant and you can easily unlock everyone, there would be no benefit to having an unnerfed pet (since a well geared unlocked mnk war or rng can easily destroy a bst pet's dot). In other zones (like arrapago or zhayolm) where certain cells (like ranged and ability) are rare, it wouldn't make much sense to give them to the bst over a more useful job (i'd rather see my brd with that ranged cell and i'd like my tank and rdm to have ability cells).
    have you seen what CourierCarrie does to low end mobs? destroys them.
    i agree though, first ranged to brd (and second to rng/cor) and first ability to tank.
    and yes, later on when people are more unlocked, having an unnerfed pet means less.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

yea i had the feeling that it wouldn't really be viable but i was curious to see if anyone had any experience with it.

<3 bg for fast and accurate replies

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

BST wouldnt be so bad in Bhaflau's first floor, since aside from first chest, everyone else pretty much gets abilities the same time.

Arrapago - another one that is potentially good, because abilities ranged come from first floor.

SSR - not so bad, while ranged isnt garunteed, abilities are, you can at least be yet another rampage I guess.

Zhayolm - sucks till 2nd floor, if you get undu in opening chest, it's not for you, it's for the bard.

BST aint a horrible job, esp not for salvage, but the problem with salvage is you need to pretty much have people squeezing everything they can in the most condensed form - this is why MNK not only DD but also are tanks, why RDMs aren't only healers but have to play nuker when the time comes, etc etc.

BST's problem is it is only DD, if you have room for just a DD, sure bring them along, imagine them as a RNG cell-wise (Incus Opacus Undulatus). My AU group brings a sam as an extra DD, you can bring a BST instead but he has to be of solsovly caliber, not ToaU BST caliber (this means "Hi I wear AF2 and CHR rings in your exp pt!!")

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

The original Salvage reports had your BST pet suffering from the same stat down effects as the BST. If that was/is the case, then it would be fairly useless. Never been on BST myself.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

LOL wafik, i sigh when i see some bst knowingly ignoring obvious great melee gear to wear crap like you said giving us all a bad rep >.>

i'm currently in

wood/man
    lightningbow+1
    turban
    chiv chain
    beetle earrings+1x2 (lol i know, i'm saving for more important gear atm)
    hauberk
    dusk gloves
    snipersx2
    amemet+1
    potent
    thick leg
    thick feet

which for tping it isn't too bad... but obviously war's in the same gear would do better cause of dbl atk and their ja's.

i really need to finish toau and cop :\

Nekio

Why would a BST EVER sub NIN for events now that they have Snarl? A BST/WAR with an HQ DD pet is a powerhouse, and would probably do more for DD than most other jobs in Salvage before everyone starts getting fully unlocked.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

i don't get it. why would /war be better than nin, ever? especially if you had amazing equipment

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Bartylby
    i don't get it. why would /war be better than nin, ever? especially if you had amazing equipment
    zerk, DA, and attack bonus?

Please, BSTs, do an all BST Salvage and make a video of a swarm of carries killing a chariot.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfknight
    i figured that would be the answer, it was more of a hypothetical question though.

who needs /war for DA when you have a temp axe?
    zerk and the attack bonus is nice, but it wouldnt come close to touching damage from dual wielding man/temp or wood/temp if you're into higher base dmg, or for the insanely rich and lucky guttler/temp

Everybody's Favourite Nobody
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

I've taken BST into Arrapago and Bhaflau before, it is actually quite good, but under rated. I've only used Lars.

For Bhaflau, Lars would be able to tank with Provoke + Snarl when things get sticky (I haven't done it since I got into a new shell though, my new shell has an Amanomurakumo SAM tank typically) and he does like 250 damage per hit on first floors, really does speed things up. Good for fighting Qiqirn too, since they like to run and Lars can follow him into enemy territory without aggro. Never used him on bosses though, only used BST for farming runs. Only bring it if you are fairly sure you can get Ranged + Ability in the beginning, weapon can be used later after other melee and important mages get theirs.

Edit: Also, BST/WAR is the best for Salvage, in my opinion.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Exactly! I'm currently working on my BST TP gears right now. I need Byakko's Haidate still (my LS doesn't do Sky anymore) and Dusk Hands and Feet. Once I get those I'm pretty much pimped out except for maybe +1 body etc. I don't get to play on my BST in my shell much at all, but when I do I take great pride in competing in meripos with the parse results.

The reason BST always went /NIN was purely for damage mitigation. Now with Snarl you can TP and WS to your hearts content and then hit Snarl to keep from taking hits yourself. With Temperance Axe you gain TP so fast. I would advise taking some Zetas with you though because if Lifedrinker Lars takes too many hits (which he will like this) then he won't last the full jug duration.

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

Quote Originally Posted by Darwinion
    Exactly! I'm currently working on my BST TP gears right now. I need Byakko's Haidate still (my LS doesn't do Sky anymore) and Dusk Hands and Feet. Once I get those I'm pretty much pimped out except for maybe +1 body etc. I don't get to play on my BST in my shell much at all, but when I do I take great pride in competing in meripos with the parse results.

The reason BST always went /NIN was purely for damage mitigation. Now with Snarl you can TP and WS to your hearts content and then hit Snarl to keep from taking hits yourself. With Temperance Axe you gain TP so fast. I would advise taking some Zetas with you though because if Lifedrinker Lars takes too many hits (which he will like this) then he won't last the full jug duration.
    You /war with temperance axe? Yuck.

this may be too off topic, and feel free to ignore if it is, but has anyone tried how bst would do in nyzul? it seems to me that the mobs on each floor should be charmable, checking not as IG, but DC. on a "kill everything" floor, a bst could have 2 mobs kill themselves while they and the rest of the party work down other targets. the flipside is that on a floor populated entirely by undead or some other kind of uncharmable mob, the bst is forced to rely only on jug pets, which makes them somewhat less flexible than if that slot had been used for say a war or a sam.

using temp axe with /war is a little silly. temp axe is for tp gain and spamming rampage. not gonna work very good with its lower base damage and no other modifiers. it might actually work ok in salvage though, as most mobs (in the early floors anyway) are quite weak.
    once you get higher up though, or if you are not in salvage and are fighting exp level mobs, don't mainhand it. its ok for offhand though if you are /nin and want it for tp gain. mainhand a maneater or a juggernaut. hell i dont even use my temp axe if i go /nin, i go man/jugg. if you are /war, just put the temp away and use man or jugg straight up once you get to stuff that is vt or higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Spekkio
    this may be too off topic, and feel free to ignore if it is, but has anyone tried how bst would do in nyzul? it seems to me that the mobs on each floor should be charmable, checking not as IG, but DC. on a "kill everything" floor, a bst could have 2 mobs kill themselves while they and the rest of the party work down other targets. the flipside is that on a floor populated entirely by undead or some other kind of uncharmable mob, the bst is forced to rely only on jug pets, which makes them somewhat less flexible than if that slot had been used for say a war or a sam.
    in my limited runs of nyzul i dont recall a lot of mobs that looked charmable. lots if imps and flayers and such. nyzul has some crazy rules anyway, and i wouldnt rule out the mobs not being charmable in there, even though same family mobs are normally charmable. it also doesnt make sense to go in and HOPE that you can charm something on the first floor you go in on. much better to just pop a jug and be done with it.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I'm at work so this is will be a short reply.

Wafik: <3
    Shuemue: If there were enough cells to do that, I'd love to see it. Pet zergs are awesome fun.

Salvage:
    BST is below average and mediocre in salvage. (note, I believe BST does very well in most other events). Requires too many important cells to be useful at the start. Unlocked, it's about the same as any other DD except it cannot cotank nearly as well. This may be important to some groups as most groups run with a very lean and effecient set up that can't afford to have "just another dd".

Subjobs and snarl
    Snarl makes /WAR viable. Snarl makes /NIN even better. If you have a good gear setup, /NIN will outshine war on many levels including snarl usage (which imo is one of the best updates we could have gotten). If you really want to get into details on why, I can reply later tonight.

Nyzul:
    Nothing is charmable, sorry. However, BST shines here with jugpets due to the large amount of damage they deal to lower level mobs, the extra survivability of snarl and the normal bonus of having a pet to manage various agro/hate concerns. One of my favorite events as a BST.

Space Pope
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Quote Originally Posted by solsovly
    Nyzul:
    Nothing is charmable, sorry. However, BST shines here with jugpets due to the large amount of damage they deal to lower level mobs, the extra survivability of snarl and the normal bonus of having a pet to manage various agro/hate concerns. One of my favorite events as a BST.
    Slightly offtopic from OP, but yeah, I've found the same. On the (RARE) occasions I'm not running around with a Storm Fife on my Bard, I found out nothing was charmable in Nyzul.

However, BST pulling can accomplish some amazing tasks since /pet "Fight" <t> doesn't drop invis or sneak.