Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Atheism on the rise amongst Iraqi youth sick of Islam

Re: Atheism on the rise amongst Iraqi youth sick of Islam

youth are generally more acceptant of change while the oldies just want to keep blowing each other up and they run the show.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Avanarius
    youth are generally more acceptant of change while the oldies just want to keep blowing each other up and they run the show.
    Until they all die of old age or blow themselves up.

I can just see all the rebellious Iraqi teens now, screaming for democracy and western ideals just to spite their parents.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

There may be hope for that region after all

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

that's funny, i was chatting with a friend the other day regarding how islam is the fastest-growing religion in the world, according to CNN.

http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/9704/14/egypt.islam/

i don't think whether it's an apparent contradictory or its growth has been slowed while still being the fastest-growing.

Quote Originally Posted by Khamsin
    Quote Originally Posted by Avanarius
    Until they all die of old age or blow themselves up.
    You'd think that would be the case

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/ ... nd_anarchy

I wonder what kind of conversation these kids and the kids living under theocratic rule would have with each other. / Also, I wonder what John Lydon would think of a cultural movement he more or less was accidental originator of, embracing secular dogma as some form of desperate rebellion ?

Just proves that no matter how oppressive and ignorant a religious tenant is, there will always be a minority who rises above it and finally asks the questions they are told not to ask. Though it is sad that only a minority of each religion escapes the clutches of ignorance and get a glimpse of the beauty and wonder that the universe holds, without the chains of their dogma keeping their heads down.

The question becomes, will the mental epidemic that is religion continue to outbreed the ones who dare to hold their heads high and shake the foundations of their reality, and keep humanity in darkness for the next 1000 years? Or will there be a time when humanity finally stands up as one species and sheds the harness that has killed our children, raped our freedom, and destroyed our curiosity for the unknown for so long.

Be fruitful and multiply right? Cant fight against doctrines like that. I dont have legions of militant zealots, nor trillions in money squandered from my cult members. All I have is logic, reason, and truth. We will see which remain standing in the next millenium.

Demosthenes11

Quote Originally Posted by Neosutra
    Just proves that no matter how oppressive and ignorant a religious tenant is, there will always be a minority who rises above it and finally asks the questions they are told not to ask. Though it is sad that only a minority of each religion escapes the clutches of ignorance and get a glimpse of the beauty and wonder that the universe holds, without the chains of their dogma keeping their heads down.

The question becomes, will the mental epidemic that is religion continue to outbreed the ones who dare to hold their heads high and shake the foundations of their reality, and keep humanity in darkness for the next 1000 years? Or will there be a time when humanity finally stands up as one species and sheds the harness that has killed our children, raped our freedom, and destroyed our curiosity for the unknown for so long.

Be fruitful and multiply right? Cant fight against doctrines like that. I dont have legions of militant zealots, nor trillions in money squandered from my cult members. All I have is logic, reason, and truth. We will see which remain standing in the enxt millenium.
    inc religion debate.
    I'll bite and call you a fucking moron for calling atheism "truth"

Relic Horn
    BG Level

I think he's applying the word truth to "the rejection of all dogma and the elevation of rational thought above all other motivations". Which is probably a bit more defensible, at least around here.

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Charla
    I think he's applying the word truth to "the rejection of all dogma and the elevation of rational thought above all other motivations". Which is probably a bit more defensible, at least around here.
    What about those who aren't capable of rational thought?

DEUS VULT
    FITE ME

BG Level
    Blog Entries

There's Fox News.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Tend to lurk more than I post, but hey, what the hell.

Lol at "rejection of all dogma"...so you're throwing out science too? There is quite a bit of dogma there...in fact there is the "central dogma", but hey, now I'm just being a picky ass.

Everybody's Favourite Nobody
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by isladar
    There's Fox News.
    oh u

it's a good feeling to be reassured that we might be doing something good in iraq :\

being freed from an islam dictator has not only taken the "dictator" out of "islam dictator," it's taken the islam too. islamic conservatives need to step the fuck down before they blow up the whole goddamn planet.

Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by finale23
    that's funny, i was chatting with a friend the other day regarding how islam is the fastest-growing religion in the world, according to CNN.

i don't think whether it's an apparent contradictory or its growth has been slowed while still being the fastest-growing.
    It's easy to be the fastest growing when you can out breed your competition and call your 3 year olds muslims when they infact don't even know what that means.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Blarg

It's easy to be the fastest growing when you can out breed your competition and call your 3 year olds muslims when they infact don't even know what that means.
    well, the same can be said for other religions, such as Christianity. look no further than the bible belt in the states, how poor families have 3+ kids and raise them christian. also, we must keep in mind that unlike these kids in the US who might renounce their religion when they are more educated as they grow up, the islamic ones oversea have no way of seeing things from any other perspective other than from the one-dimension islamic doctrines ingrain into their minds. in essence, those 3 year olds aren't as likely to rid of islam when they're educated if ever. even they don't know what that means, islam has already become an irreplaceable way of life for them by then.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Damnit. I was just about to post "in before religion debate" as soon as I saw this thread, but apparently I'm already too late.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by cr4ter
    Tend to lurk more than I post, but hey, what the hell.

Lol at "rejection of all dogma"...so you're throwing out science too? There is quite a bit of dogma there...in fact there is the "central dogma", but hey, now I'm just being a picky ass.
    Dogma (the plural is either dogmata or dogmas, Greek ?????, plural ???????) is the established belief or doctrine held by a religion, ideology or any kind of organization, thought to be authoritative and not to be disputed, doubted or diverged from
    According to this definition, the scientific method itself, which as I understand it holds that any conclusion can be doubted and questioned, would tend to preclude the existence of any dogma. The central dogma (assuming that you meant this one) is therefore a set of conclusions reached by questioning and modifying or disproving the previously understood models (in this case, of biological information transfer). That would make the use of the word dogma either a misnomer or a hyperbole, depending on how strict you want to be about the distinction.

Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Blarg

well, the same can be said for other religions, such as Christianity. look no further than the bible belt in the states, how poor families have 3+ kids and raise them christian. also, we must keep in mind that unlike these kids in the US who might renounce their religion when they are more educated as they grow up, the islamic ones oversea have no way of seeing things from any other perspective other than from the one-dimension islamic doctrines ingrain into their minds. in essence, those 3 year olds aren't as likely to rid of islam when they're educated if ever. even they don't know what that means, islam has already become an irreplaceable way of life for them by then.
    Well there is a pretty big population difference between bible belt and muslim countries but the rest of what you said is true as well. Also apostasy of Islam is a fatal offense according to the Koran (not saying it's strictly followed but does happen), so I'm sure there are muslims who say they believe when in fact it's too dangerous to admit they really don't.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast