Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Mend View Post
    Thanks so much for the post to SMC Fan Control, because the fan on my macbook drives me nuts.
    Yup I donated within the first hour I ran the program, couldn't recommend strongly enough. This and the iStat guys are <3

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander
    WoW Realm
    Tichondrius

My two recommendations:

Kantaris - Kantaris Media Player - "Kantaris is an open-source alternative to Windows Media Player with similar GUI and features. Video playback is based upon Videolan Client (VLC) which enables Kantaris to play almost anything without the need of installing any codecs separately." It will indeed play things that windows media player won't, and it's not nearly as much of a system hog.

Media Monkey - MediaMonkey Free Media Jukebox, Music Manager, CD Ripper & Converter - Plays, manages and organises your music collection. It has a TON of features but doesn't seem cluttered (syncronization with ipods/whatever, file conversion, tagging, cd burning, sorting by year/artist/album/name/genre/mood whatever, etc) and its free.

Rocket Dock - Organize desktop icons on a bar that you can hide. I think it's pretty popular, but I didn't see it on the list.

About RocketDock - RocketDock.com

YOU ARE SEARED
    Dungeon Master of the House of Weave

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

What's the best driver cleanup tool these days, I got some new video cards to install

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Norellicus View Post
    What's the best driver cleanup tool these days, I got some new video cards to install
    Driver Sweeper gets my vote.

YOU ARE SEARED
    Dungeon Master of the House of Weave

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Worked like a charm, thanks. May want to add that to system utilities at the top, I wouldn't have asked the question if there was something in the list already 8)

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Mac Users:

Mac Software Reviewed

Just to clarify my post, since I thought the post I was looking at was on the front page, here is the link I should have posted: http://mac.appstorm.net/general/60-o...free-mac-apps/

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Proudmoore

coconut-flavour.com - [coconutBattery 2.6.5]

A very easy-to use, popular laptop battery information software for OS X (10.4.5+), 849KB. Gets the information from the system profile.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

POV-Ray - The Persistence of Vision Raytracer awesome free code driven ray-tracer

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn
    WoW Realm
    Shattered Hand

Mediacoder - Video transcoding, just about any format is supported with full control over the output.

Windirstat - Displays used/free disk space as a series of rectangles proportional to the file's size, useful for finding large files or directories on your disk.

Totalcommander - Robust File Manager with plugin support for .MPQ archives (downloaded separately).

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

CD Art Display
    Download
    CD Art Display is a free desktop program that shows the current song cover in a customizable skin.
    Some examples of skins:

http://www.cdartdisplay.com/images/ThaPorthole-full.png
    http://www.cdartdisplay.com/otisbee/...Jewel-full.png
    http://www.cdartdisplay.com/otisbee/...lular-full.png
    http://www.cdartdisplay.com/otisbee/...-Sync-full.png

It fully works with AlbumPlayer, Helium Music Manager, iTunes, Winamp, Windows Media Player, foobar2000 (component required), MediaMonkey and partially supports qmp, MP3Toys and musikCube.

Along with several skins ready to use, CD Art Display has a powerful Skin Editor with real time preview.

Main Features

* Skinnable
    * High quality graphics
    * PNG transparency support
    * Reads cover from players database, local folder or ID3v2 tag
    * Download cover from Amazon.com via built in tool
    * Cover as system tray icon
    * Lyrics (read, search and submit thanks to LYRDB.com)
    * Hotkeys (including rating ones)
    * Free! No spyware or adware!

Requirements

Windows Vista or XP and Visual Basic runtime 6.

Vista also requires Visual Basic runtime 5.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bik Pik
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

I'm not sure if this goes here or not but I found this app when I was trying to find media servers for my PS3

PS3 Media Server

Runs off your PC, and as long as your PS3 is on the same network (I.E. same Router), it automatically finds it. Really simple to use.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Strange that i don't see it here but Hiren boot CD

Hiren's Boot CD 9.9 and All Other Versions - HTTP Download (for download)

Hiren's BootCD 9.9 - www.hiren.info (for that it contains)

With milk. With love
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Cenarion Circle

Please remove FoxIt Reader from the list, requires a unwanted toolbar to be installed for it to work. =(

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Kimiko View Post
    Please remove FoxIt Reader from the list, requires a unwanted toolbar to be installed for it to work. =(
    No, it doesn't. If you choose a custom installation you have the option of not installing any toolbars.

alsohawks

ALL YOU YOUNG HACKEY
    PLAYERS OUT THERE

BG Level

Was Avira Antivirus ever proposed for the list? It's always been mentioned as within the top 3 of freeware AVs as far as I've known. The popup upon update and scans be annoying, but is very easily disabled in Safe Mode.

Link: Download AntiVir Personal 9.0.0.407 - FileHippo.com

Also, as filehippo is one of my favorite resources, you can very easily narrow down a massive compendium of popular software to freeware only by using the filter option near the top right of the site. Has a ton of categories as well as a most popular list to gauge community response to particular software.

Link: FileHippo.com - Download Free Software (be sure to click "No Filter" to change to freeware only for perusing.

Lastly I'd mention Lifehacker's great Hive Five series of posts for narrowing down the top 5 choices for particular software categories. The top five and most popular are selected by the Lifehacker community via votes, so it's largely user opinion, but the top 5s are usually very solid choices.

Link: Hive Five - Lifehacker

Most recent pick was Defraggler for disk defragmenters, which I also spy as missing from the big list! ;p

Link: Defraggler - Defragment your files!

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatapa View Post
    Strange that i don't see it here but Hiren boot CD

Hiren's Boot CD 9.9 and All Other Versions - HTTP Download (for download)

Hiren's BootCD 9.9 - www.hiren.info (for that it contains)
    Very nice man

this is bad ass

eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Lite

This is not a program per se, its just a calculator for computer power supply units. However, the question comes up from time to time regarding what people should have for computer power supplies, and I didn't see it posted anywhere yet at least as a sticky and it definitely should be. The link points to the free version, there is a pay version as well that also includes much more indepth information, such as rail amperage and UPS calculations. The configuration options are pretty indepth as well, and cover a wide multitude of the latest computer hardware components, so if you've got a question about what you should be buying for your next rig in terms of power, this is a good place to look.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

If you're sick of the pop-ups and general shittiness of free antivirus programs, some (many? most?) ISPs provide free antivirus software for their subscribers. Full version ones too, not cut-down trial versions.

Examples:

AT&T: Mcafee http://att.software.yahoo.com/
    Comcast: Mcafee Comcast.net Security
    Road Runner: CA Security - Road Runner

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

AutoHotkey - Free Mouse and Keyboard Macro Program with Hotkeys and AutoText

A great program for anyone who wants to work faster on their PC. Tons of great pre-made scripts to use too. Here's a few examples included in the program's help:

Spoiler: show
    Easy Window Dragging -- KDE style (requires XP/2k/NT) -- by Jonny

This script makes it much easier to move or resize a window: 1) Hold down the ALT key and LEFT-click anywhere inside a window to drag it to a new location; 2) Hold down ALT and RIGHT-click-drag anywhere inside a window to easily resize it; 3) Press ALT twice, but before releasing it the second time, left-click to minimize the window under the mouse cursor, right-click to maximize it, or middle-click to close it.

IntelliSense -- by Rajat (requires XP/2k/NT)

This script watches while you edit an AutoHotkey script. When it sees you type a command followed by a comma or space, it displays that command's parameter list to guide you. In addition, you can press Ctrl+F1 (or another hotkey of your choice) to display that command's page in the help file. To dismiss the parameter list, press Escape or Enter.

Minimize Window to Tray Menu

This script assigns a hotkey of your choice to hide any window so that it becomes an entry at the bottom of the script's tray menu. Hidden windows can then be unhidden individually or all at once by selecting the corresponding item on the menu. If the script exits for any reason, all the windows that it hid will be unhidden automatically.

Window Shading (roll up a window to its title bar) -- by Rajat

This script reduces a window to its title bar and then back to its original size by pressing a single hotkey. Any number of windows can be reduced in this fashion (the script remembers each). If the script exits for any reason, all "rolled up" windows will be automatically restored to their original heights.

As you can see the scripts can be very complex and are 100% customizable. You can also make basic scripts that will auto-replace certain text(i.e. typing spl followed by a ~ will replace spl~ with the spoiler tags(you can use any end character you want)) , navigate to a webpage automatically when you enter a certain keystroke(#1 will open my homepage) or even launch an unopened program(^!n = new notepad window if there isn't one open already).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast