Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xanthe Celaeno
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

All Worlds Emergency Maintenance (Mar. 17)

At the following time, we will be performing emergency maintenance on all Worlds. During this period, FINAL FANTASY XI will be unavailable.

Maintenance operations will delete any reservations for Pankration matches. Players who are scheduled to participate in Pankration matches, those who will enter Assault, Salvage or Einherjar areas, or those who will participate in Dynamis or Limbus at the time of the maintenance, we ask that you please wait until maintenance is complete before engaging in these activities. Please note that we cannot replace items that are lost during the maintenance process.

Thank you for your understanding and patience.

* This maintenance will be accompanied by a version update. After maintenance is complete, the update will automatically begin after you press the "Play" button. After that, please follow the instructions on the screen.

* The World Transfer Service will be unavailable starting 30 minutes before the maintenance. Please wait until after the maintenance is completed before attempting to use this service.

[Date & Time]
    Mar. 17, 2008 from 9:00 to 13:00 (PDT)
    * Maintenance completion time may be subject to change.

[Affected Services]
    FINAL FANTASY XI
    http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/polnew ... 2842.shtml

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Re: All Worlds Emergency Maintenance (Mar. 17)

Guess I'll wait to buy Gem Sainti materials...

With milk. With love
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Cenarion Circle

Hopefully my moogle will actually respond to me.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Square seriously needs to adjust the way they release updates. This is the 2nd "Emergency Maintenance" since the update on all words.

Quote Originally Posted by Katoke
    Square seriously needs to adjust the way they release updates. This is the 2nd "Emergency Maintenance" since the update on all words.
    its been this way for years. but yeah, it does suck

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ellatrix Reatori
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Do they not use Atomos to test the update before they release it.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Dammerung
    Do they not use Atomos to test the update before they release it.
    No.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

They have a small handful of dudes on Atomos all looking for the biggest problems. Not tens of thousands of people looking for the smallest of glitches.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by miokomioko
    They have a small handful of dudes on Atomos all looking for the biggest problems. Not tens of thousands of people looking for the smallest of glitches.
    Moogle not working and other things are not small glitches.

A. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

they didn't even test the 2h Boost they did lolSE.

Bitchfist
    The horn knows no mercy; only wrath

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Indalecia Salavachere
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Updates are for pussies. Lets go back to the old days of mpk and no tp nerfs.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Tricen
    Quote Originally Posted by miokomioko
    Moogle not working and other things are not small glitches.
    It happened to me once and I zoned and it was fine. Developers testing on Atomos are a tiny tiny tiny tiny sample. One tester could have experienced it, thought "uh oh," zoned and it was fixed and shrugged it off. The odds of it occuring aren't clear until thousands of people experience it, let alone the possibility that it was in their programming, not some fluke connection issue. Regardless of the fact that dev testers on atomos most likely don't have a need to go into their mog houses to change jobs and pull gear out of their lockers so it probably wasn't even run into.

I'm guessing those that complain about the testing, have never worked on any major software projects. Most often only the changes are tested, and the expected areas those changes will affect. Ie, they add a new spell and see how well it'll work and do what they want. But what they don't test is how all the different possible effects that could influence that spell, both the positive and the negative effects. Think how long it would take to test EVERY possible gear, attribute, buffs/debuffs, weather/day, and anything else that influences a spell or ability. Now that's something they can control. When you look at things like the Mog House bug, there could be a lot that's influencing than we could know about. Especially if not everybody is experiencing it.

I know this from experience. I worked as a maintenance programmer for 5 years. Can't tell you the number of times I made a change in one area of our primary software, and I ended up breaking something in what I thought was an unrelated area. It got past QA b/c the changes were tested, but not all the effected systems b/c we didn't know that they were affected. But when it hit the offices, we quickly found them b/c we had 100+ offices using it. And yes, we had several 1 or 2 day releases, even a 1hr release.

edit: fixed english, I hope.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by TeancumMemsochet
    I'm guessing those that complain about the testing, have never worked on any major software projects. Most often only the changes are tested, and the expected areas those changes will affect. Ie, they add a new spell and see how well it'll work and do what they want. But what they don't test is how all the different possible effects that could influence that spell, both the positive and the negative effects. Think how long it would take to test EVERY possible gear, attribute, buffs/debuffs, weather/day, and anything else that influences a spell or ability. Now that's something they can control. When you look at things like the Mog House bug, there could be a lot that's influencing than we could know about. Especially if not everybody is experiencing it.

I know this from experience. I worked as a maintenance programmer for 5 years. Can't tell you the number of times I made a change in one area of our primary software, and I ended up breaking something in what I thought was an unrelated area. It got past QA b/c the changes were tested, but not all the effected systems b/c we didn't know that they were affected. But when it hit the offices, we quickly found them b/c we had 100+ offices using it. And yes, we had several 1 or 2 day releases, even a 1hr release.

Inadvertently breaking some seemingly unrelated code does happen, and is excusable. But SE's testing and QA has always sucked, they don't even test the stuff they directly change properly. See: 2h weapon update.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Paegan
    Quote Originally Posted by TeancumMemsochet

Inadvertently breaking some seemingly unrelated code does happen, and is excusable. But SE's testing and QA has always sucked, they don't even test the stuff they directly change properly. See: 2h weapon update.
    Do you have have any idea the scale of programming that goes into a game of this scale, and how interdependent the programming is? As for the 2h weapon update, the original problems with it were fixed, the adjustment that came later was a necessary one, but not as predictable as you might think.

Wincest Princess
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

When it comes to NERFs, I really can't blame SE. Everytime they give us something, you have thousands of people trying to milk it for every drop its worth. That kinda thing is going to turn up things that can be exploited and players will pounce the hell out of broken damage until it gets NERFed. Weapon delay, 2 handed weapons, and Wall of Justice are just a few things. SE just doesn't think of things like "oh hey let's have 6 bards use Soulvoice and rotate them through out the alliance for capped max march and 900 attack." Not that I'm against us taking advantage of everything we can, its just that some of the things players "think of" didn't cross SE's mind at the time and needs to be fixed or things will become too easy and the lack of challenge will bore people and they will leave. I doubt anyone here would seriously enjoy ffxi or continue playing it if these things weren't adjusted.

On that note, there are 744 hours in the month of March. That still leaves 732 hours of FFXI time if you count all these maintenances. If you need more than 732 hours of FFXI a month... wow >.<;;

Hayleystrator
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

In tomorrow's "fixed" message:

"An error in the damage calculation for a Puppetmaster's "Magic Mortar", in which it would actually make them useful. We're sorry for the inconvenience."

They are just being efficient at removing convenience for players. Read: Pet and Samba.

Wincest Princess
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I doubt having automatons suicide for burst damage is broken. I'm more worried if they are gonna nerf anything on scholar.

New Odin
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Gaea
    I doubt having automatons suicide for burst damage is broken. I'm more worried if they are gonna nerf anything on scholar.
    One Automaton is fine, but let's say, 18+?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast