• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
    Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Re: The Laptop Guide - Post here for questions, deals, etc.

There is no way to upgrade laptop video cards yourself, most of the time they are integrated into the motherboard with everything else. The only way you can really play the newest games on a laptop is to buy the highest end XPS/Alienware/HP laptops that are decked out and cost $3000. The simple fact is laptops are just not great choices for games. They can play the oldest ones sure, but the newest games have such high required specs that it takes time for laptop technology to catch up to the point where they can run them.

Openoffice.org is a free, open source application package that was made as an alternative to office. It has mostly the same functionality, and can open files creative in MS office, and even save files as office extensions. It's a great program for people who don't want to spend 200 bucks just to write papers.

Teleport-Mea Extraordinaire
    BG Level

Ok well I think I will be getting the Vostro 1500 either tomorrow or Tuesday. Although it doesn't have an option for anything greater than 128MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8400M GS (I tried and kept looking back to see if it was a website glitch, but the spec in the original post for vid card can't be installed on the laptop), I think it will serve its purpose.

Thanks for all the help It made my life a little bit easier.

Final Price: $1352

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Check out this:

http://www.sagernotebook.com/category_b ... lcdsize=15

NP2092 has a $300 off special, that is better than the Vostro 1500 for roughly the same price with the discount.

Teleport-Mea Extraordinaire
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by alt
    Check out this:

http://www.sagernotebook.com/category_b ... lcdsize=15

NP2092 has a $300 off special, that is better than the Vostro 1500 for roughly the same price with the discount.
    Ok so i went there. I have to say, I was impressed with the specs. It is not often that you find a solid laptop build with any graphics card over 256. Anyway, I ordered a Sager NP2092 today because it was actually cheaper than what I was going to get, with 100x better performance specs. The site didn't allow for me to get security software installed, but I can pay the 70 bucks from dell and get one.

Alt, I really appreciate the tip on this one.

Final price with shipping: $1401 (dell would have been 1352 + tax - if I remember correctly, approx 90 bucks)

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Nice man! I bought one on Monday 8)

Was a good find too, especially since it came with T9300, 4GB RAM, and 8600M GT 512MB, included in the price.

Jump on this while special lasts people!

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

I'm looking for a pretty cheap laptop. All I want to do is run FFXI on it and do my online job (via Firefox), so it doesn't have to be too special. I used to sell/repair/build PCs, but I've been out of the loop for a while; haven't run Windows at home since 98beta3, so that mostly killed the need for regular hardware upgrades. But I'm tired of PS2 limitations, and could really use a laptop newer than a 486, so...

The Vostro ones look good, but I have some questions:

-The 1500 seems to start out cheaper than the 1400, and I'm not really sure why that is.
    -Should I care about a 7200 RPM drive versus 5400?
    -The 8400M seems to be the only graphics choice for both models. Is this okay?
    -The only option for XP I can see is them giving me both XP and Vista and charging me $100 more. That's not really what I want...am I missing some hoop to get just XP? I'm assuming that trying to run FFXI + Vista on this is a bad idea. I might be able to get XP via the university if I have to. To clarify, I don't really care what I run as long as FFXI works well.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

so I'm looking to get myself a laptop within the next month or so. I've been mostly scoping out HP rigs, as I've known a few people who have owned them and have never had any problems with them.

did a custom build off their dv9700t series, looks as following:

Intel Core 2 2.10GHZ
    3GB DDR2 Ram
    Nvidia Gforce 8600GS 512MB
    320GB 5400RPM SATA HD

plus other random odds and ends. the rig came out to $1,342

while I'm mostly going to use it for school/writing/internet/movie watching, the truth is I'll be loading some games onto it, so looking at it as a mid-level gaming rig...that more importantly should ahead enough of the curve that it will last a while (my current desktop I've had for 6 years for example...so I upgrade/get a new pc as un-often as possible).

I looked at similar systems at dell, and while it was about ~100 less, it was with a less powerful intel chip, and smaller HD

thoughts?

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Bakthi
    I'm looking for a pretty cheap laptop. All I want to do is run FFXI on it and do my online job (via Firefox), so it doesn't have to be too special. I used to sell/repair/build PCs, but I've been out of the loop for a while; haven't run Windows at home since 98beta3, so that mostly killed the need for regular hardware upgrades. But I'm tired of PS2 limitations, and could really use a laptop newer than a 486, so...

The Vostro ones look good, but I have some questions:
    Vostros should do the trick for you.

-The 1500 seems to start out cheaper than the 1400, and I'm not really sure why that is.
    I'm not sure what site you're looking at, in fact I don't even see the 1400 on the Dell website.

-Should I care about a 7200 RPM drive versus 5400?
    Not for the purposes of FFXI and surfing the web, no.

-The 8400M seems to be the only graphics choice for both models. Is this okay?
    Yes, though some people have reported issues with that graphics card. Though all the people who have gotten Vostros and play FFXI haven't reported many issues, afaik.

-The only option for XP I can see is them giving me both XP and Vista and charging me $100 more. That's not really what I want...am I missing some hoop to get just XP? I'm assuming that trying to run FFXI + Vista on this is a bad idea. I might be able to get XP via the university if I have to. To clarify, I don't really care what I run as long as FFXI works well.
    Dell doesn't offer XP with any of it's laptops as of last week (I think) so yes, the only option you have is to buy a laptop with Vista on it and pay them to give you XP with it. There's really nothing wrong with running FFXI on Vista, many of the bugs have been ironed out. I would recommend getting the laptop, trying to run FFXI with Vista, if you have problems and can't resolve them, you can always buy XP from your uni like you said and install it.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

Quote Originally Posted by Cephius
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakthi
    I'm not sure what site you're looking at, in fact I don't even see the 1400 on the Dell website.
    I just clicked on the links in the OP. The 1400 starts at $524, and the 1500 starts at $499. Looking at the stats, the only difference seems to be that the 1500 has a bigger screen, so...beats me. Guess it's 1500 ftw.

Thanks for the help!

Vuitton

Hey guys, I am looking to replace my desktop PC. I am moving to a new city to complete my bachelors and I'll also be studying abroad for over a year. Additionally, I think I might be living in the residence hall the first year at University and you know how small dorms can be.

What do you all think of this Dell build? I've copied and pasted it below. I am open to non-Dell suggestions as well.

My Components

COLOR: Tuxedo Black
    PROCESSOR: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T9300 (2.5GHz/800Mhz FSB, 6MB Cache)
    LCD AND CAMERA: High Resolution, glossy widescreen 15.4 inch LED LCD (1440x900) & 2.0 M
    MEMORY: 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz (2 Dimms)
    HARD DRIVE: Speed: 320GB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) with Free Fall Sensor
    OPTICAL DRIVE: Slot Load DVD+/-RW (DVD/CD read/write)
    VIDEO CARD: 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT
    WIRELESS CARDS: Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-card
    BLUETOOTH AND WIRELESS: USB Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Internal (2.0+Enhanced Data Rate)
    BATTERY: 85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
    SOUND: ExpressCard Sound Blaster X-Fi® Xtreme Audio Sound Card
    FINGERPRINT SCANNER Finger Print Reader XPS M1530
    My Software & Accessories

ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE McAfee SecurityCenter with anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall, 36-months
    PRODUCTIVITY SOFTWARE Microsoft® Office Home and Student 2007 - Word, Excel + PowerPoint
    COLOR COORDINATED MICE Logitech V220 Wireless Mouse - Jet Black
    COLOR COORDINATED STORAGE Green - 8 GB DataTraveler 110 USB Flash Drive
    My Service

WARRANTY AND SERVICE Get $70 Dell Gift Card with 4Yr In-Home Service, Parts Labor- Next Day
    ACCIDENT AND THEFT PROTECTION Add Accidental Damage and LoJack Theft Protection to 4Yr Warr.
    DATASAFE ONLINE BACKUP Included 3 GB DataSafe Online Backup for 1Yr
    DIAL-UP INTERNET ACCESS No ISP requested
    ENVIRONMENTAL OPTIONS Support Reforestation: Plant a Tree for Me
    ALSO INCLUDED WITH YOUR SYSTEM

Dell Printer Driver Windows Vista™ Premium
    Software - Adobe Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 8.1
    Processor Branding Intel Centrino Core Duo Processor
    Doms Camera and Color High Res, Black glossy widescreen 15.4 inch LED LCD (1440x900) & 2MP Ca
    TOTAL: $2,528

I have no idea what is good and what is bad about this machne. I chose a 15.4in display because thats how large my Timbuk2 laptop bag can hold. Is 17" worth it? I'd have to blow another $200 on a new bag if so.

Vuitton

Are dead pixels a serious problem with new laptops? Sager wants to charge $200 for a 30-day gaurantee you wont have any.

I am unsure if its actually worth it to get it or not?

2600klub
    ǝƃuɐɥɔ ǝlʇıʇ ɥʇ01 ǝɥʇ ǝʞıl sı sıɥʇ ƃɯo ʎuunɟ ƃuıɥʇǝɯos ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ puǝıɹɟ ʇsǝq s,poƃ ǝsɹoɥ ǝɥʇ sı ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vandole Horsegod
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Bestbuy's clearing out their old laptops for their new ones. im picking this up tomorrow:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....#productdetail

its a pretty good deal from what my tech guru's have said. thought i'd share the wealth, i'll also give a personal review of it at the end of the week with first impressions if anyone wants.
    edit: runs HD animu perfectly, scored a 4200 in the ffxi benchmark, the bahamut cutscene was full fps the whole time.

Vandole, you still running Vista on it? If so, 32-bit or 64-bit and what drivers?

I've got the 6860FX and while it performs well in FFXI, just not as well as I'd like

I like to run FFXI at the max resolution, with the background turned up to twice whatever the max resolution is, no compressed textures, and normal/high shadows. I get around 25fps regularly, otherwise I get between 10-20 in crowded areas.

I've pretty much stopped thinking this is a graphics problem and more of a cpu problem, based on the way DX8 works.

I'm going to throw a new processor in it soon (T9300), so it should perform much better in FFXI.

I'm not computer savvy, and I didn't really read this thread much, so: For $1500, what kind of laptop am I looking for ram wise, ghz wise, computer space and such. If the laptop comes with vista I will not be switching back to XP. Not necessarily a gaming PC, but I will be gaming some. Thanks in advance.

17" WSXGA+ with Fine Bright Technology
    Enhanced Multimedia
    Security
    Upscale Design
    Powerful Performance
    Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium

Specifications
    Communications
    Modem : None
    Bluetooth : BlueCore™ 4 (Bluetooth v2.0+EDR)
    Wireless : 802.11 a/g/n
    W-LAN Antenna : Triple Hexa-band Antenna
    WebCam : Yes(1.3 Mega Pixel)
    Security : HDD Security
    LAN : Gigabit Ethernet
    Input Device
    Keyboard : 103Keys with Inlaid Numeric Keypad
    Pointing Device : Touchpad with Scroll Function
    Expansion Slot
    PC Card Slot : ExpressCard/54
    Multimedia Card Slot : 4-in-1 (SD/MMC/MS/MS Pro)
    Battery
    Standard : 6Cell(Li-Ion)
    Warranty
    LG Canada : 1 Year
    Specs
    Graphics : NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT (DDR2 512MB VRAM, *TurboCache Support)
    Optical Drive : DVD Super Multi Dual Layer (DVD-R/RW, +R/RW, RAM)
    AC Adapter : 90W
    Weight : 3.4 Kg (with a standard battery)
    Processor : Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T7500, 4MB L2 Cache, 2.2GHz, 800MHz FSB
    Hard Drive : 250GB (S-ATA) 5400RPM
    Audio : "2 speakers(1Wx2ea) + 1 sub-woofer(2W)
    Input/Output Port : 4xUSB, RJ45, VGA, HDMi, HP-out(w/SPDIF), Mic-in, Line-in, DC In, IEEE1394
    Colour : Black and Silver
    Memory : 2x1024MB DDR2 (667MHz,Dual Channel Support, Up to 4GB)
    Dimensions (WxDxH) : 395.0 x 278.0 x 26.5 ~ 34.9 mm
    Operating System : Windows Vista Home Premium
    Chipset : Mobile Intel® GM 965 EXPRESS
    LCD Display : 17" WSXGA+(1680x1050) with Fine Bright Technology
    Resolution : 1680 x 1050

$1,499.99

This a good deal? I might be able to get $200 off aswell.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

This a good deal? I might be able to get $200 off aswell.
    Depends on the manufacturer. This is an LG R700 of some kind I assume? To me, that's pretty much around what it "should" cost, not really a deal. If you can get the money off, maybe better. Haven't seen any of their laptops in person though, so I can't give much of an opinion.

In terms of specs, it's pretty typical. Something to keep in mind is that a 17", ~7.5lb laptop is going to be a bit of a beast to lug around. If you're wanting a laptop to actually take with you on a daily basis, you may be better off with a 14-15.4" range laptop, preferably under 5lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Isiolia View Post
    Depends on the manufacturer. This is an LG R700 of some kind I assume? To me, that's pretty much around what it "should" cost, not really a deal. If you can get the money off, maybe better. Haven't seen any of their laptops in person though, so I can't give much of an opinion.

In terms of specs, it's pretty typical. Something to keep in mind is that a 17", ~7.5lb laptop is going to be a bit of a beast to lug around. If you're wanting a laptop to actually take with you on a daily basis, you may be better off with a 14-15.4" range laptop, preferably under 5lbs.
    Yes, it is an LG R700, and I won't be taking it around too much.

Processor............ Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T8300 (2.4GHz/800Mhz FSB/3MB cache)
    Operating System.......... Genuine Windows® Vista Home Premium Edition SP1
    System Color and LCD cover Pattern.......... Sapphire Blue
    Memory............ 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz
    LCD Screen........... 17 inch UltraSharp TrueLife Wide-screen WUXGA
    Video Card.............. NVIDIA®GeForce®8700M GT graphics
    Label............ Windows Vista™ Premium
    Hard Drive........ 320GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
    Adobe Software......... Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 7.0, English
    Optical Drive......... 8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
    Sound Card.......... Integrated Sound Blaster Audigy HD Software Edition
    Wireless Networking......... Dell Wireless 1505 Wireless-N Mini-card
    Productivity Software....... Microsoft Works 9. DOES NOT INCLUDE MS WORD
    2nd Controller.......... Logitech® GamePanel Display
    Anti-Virus/Security Suite (Pre-installed)......... McAfee SecurityCenter with anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall, 30-Days
    Primary Battery........... 80 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Prim
    Hardware Services............ 1 Year Return to Depot Service and Technical Support
    Online Data Storage........... DataSafe Online Backup 3GB
    Processor Branding........... Intel® Core™2 Duo Label
    Physics Accelerator........ AGEIA™ PhysX™ Physics Accelerator
    Internet Access (ISP)........ No ISP requested
    Bluetooth Options......... Built-in Bluetooth capability (2.0 EDR)

How does this one look performance wise with new up and coming games? This is the dell XPS M1730, and would cost $2,039. The dell site says I save $375 somehow... So would this be worth it?

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

That's a good price for that system, likely has the $375 already taken off.

There are a few things that are driving the price as high as it is though.

- RAM. Seriously, I put 4GB of DDR2 667Mhz in my Macbook (pulled out the stock 1GB) for under $100, and that was at Christmas time, and I never sent in the rebate to make it even cheaper. Dell charges $150ish just to go from 2GB to 4GB.
    Buying RAM from the OEM is usually pricier than it needs to be.

- The Audigy is -software only-. As in, it's better drivers for the same hardware. Only $25 upgrade, but still.

- HDD is also a good amount to upsize, and is a 5400RPM. Not that it's necessarily bad to have that in a laptop machine, but you're talking something like a $150-160 upcharge when you can buy a 320GB laptop HDD for $115-120.

- You have a standard 1 year warranty.

If you're going to be relying on this, and you can't afford to up and replace it if something bad happens...get an extended warranty that includes accidental damage.
    Seriously. As part of my job, I support laptops we provide to student athletes (and sometimes ones we didn't provide). They break them. A lot. It's cost-prohibitive to fix them outside of warranty (as in, $600-700 for a mobo, similar for an LCD, etc).

Even if you treat a laptop well, accidents can happen.

If you're looking to spend that much on a laptop, getting better coverage than the standard warranty would probably be a good idea.

With the machine you spec'ed, you could probably save a few hundred by going with a smaller HD, and upgrading the RAM yourself (or just using the stock 2GB for now). But, up to you. IMO, depends on how readily you can afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by Isiolia View Post
    That's a good price for that system, likely has the $375 already taken off.

There are a few things that are driving the price as high as it is though.

- RAM. Seriously, I put 4GB of DDR2 667Mhz in my Macbook (pulled out the stock 1GB) for under $100, and that was at Christmas time, and I never sent in the rebate to make it even cheaper. Dell charges $150ish just to go from 2GB to 4GB.
    Buying RAM from the OEM is usually pricier than it needs to be.

- The Audigy is -software only-. As in, it's better drivers for the same hardware. Only $25 upgrade, but still.

- HDD is also a good amount to upsize, and is a 5400RPM. Not that it's necessarily bad to have that in a laptop machine, but you're talking something like a $150-160 upcharge when you can buy a 320GB laptop HDD for $115-120.

- You have a standard 1 year warranty.

If you're going to be relying on this, and you can't afford to up and replace it if something bad happens...get an extended warranty that includes accidental damage.
    Seriously. As part of my job, I support laptops we provide to student athletes (and sometimes ones we didn't provide). They break them. A lot. It's cost-prohibitive to fix them outside of warranty (as in, $600-700 for a mobo, similar for an LCD, etc).

Even if you treat a laptop well, accidents can happen.

If you're looking to spend that much on a laptop, getting better coverage than the standard warranty would probably be a good idea.

With the machine you spec'ed, you could probably save a few hundred by going with a smaller HD, and upgrading the RAM yourself (or just using the stock 2GB for now). But, up to you. IMO, depends on how readily you can afford it.
    Okay, thanks a lot for your input. I'm definitely going to switch some things around and certainly get extended warranty.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast