Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Since I just realized my Iphone is going to cost me 80-100$ a month and 1200 a year (i bought it yesterday) I think I'm going to put that 80-100$ a month into a laptop instead.

Alienwares are trustable right? I basically want to REPLACE my desktop. Right now I have a self built PC that is 3yrs old maybe, 2gb ram, AMD64 3700+ 2.21ghz, with an 8800gts in it. My sister's PC just died on her, so she can have this one (I'll keep my monitor).

I should be able to build a 2x 512mb 8700M GT, 2gb Ram, 2.16 or 2.33 core2duo laptop for around 2300-2500 costing me about 70-80 a month minimum, depending how much I decide to pay off the bat. Those specs should be able to replace this desktop right? I have the option of XP pro, Vista, or Vista ultimate - Ultimate with 2gb ram is the way to go? or 4gb? I can safely dual monitor the laptop with those cards I'm assuming as well, the monitor is only 22inch.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

I'm not very familiar with laptop technical stuff, but when i look for a decent gaming laptop (at least play orange box well) what kind of traits should i be looking for?

Resident furfag
    BG Level

DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT get SLI in a notebook, period.

You don't need the power, and in 99.95% of cases, SLI in a notebook results in horrible battery life, a massive case, and performance equal to or less than a single GPU.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by mootsfox View Post
    DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT get SLI in a notebook, period.

You don't need the power, and in 99.95% of cases, SLI in a notebook results in horrible battery life, a massive case, and performance equal to or less than a single GPU.
    Thank you sooo much for this info.

I'm probably going the desktop route anyway. Save 500-700$ (up to 30/month difference). I was thinking of playing from work but I really dont as it is much, the only thing i lose is a 2nd monitor for right now, which I'll just get later in the year.

Only problem with me getting a desktop is I can't build it myself this time, cause I'd need the financing through dell or alienware to make it worth it - that's why a laptop looked nice. I'm pretty much restricted to name brands in either case, and I think I lose out more getting a name brand prebuilt desktop over a laptop.

Resident furfag
    BG Level

Newegg has their own card which you get same as cash for like 12 months if you spend $500 or more. You also get 1.1% off and rush processing.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Newegg has their own card which you get same as cash for like 12 months if you spend $500 or more. You also get 1.1% off and rush processing.
    Really? Well in that case newegg is the cheapest way to go, just debating if i want to build another pc. I can't say I've ever had crash problems with mine now, but i've had other random problems that I'd rather not have.

gonna save some hot babes and punch radiation in the mouth.
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Frostwolf

Isnt the interest rate for newegg's card @ or around 20%+? Also, with the way the economy is at this moment, you'd need to have stellar credit to qualify.

Resident furfag
    BG Level

Well, pay it off within 12 months lol.

gonna save some hot babes and punch radiation in the mouth.
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Frostwolf

Hehe, true.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

I do have pretty stellar credit, as such I'm probably just gonna put the full payment on one of my cards that are paid off that I don't use anymore, and just do low monthly payments on the pc.

That way I can get a 1500-2000pc and keep it below 80$/month. And if I ever feel like paying it off one month, I can do that.

Still not sure If I want to go that route with a laptop, or with a desktop. It'll cost like 2500 to get a comparable laptop that would be a desktop replacement, whereas only 1700ish for the desktop and I can be more creative. Looking at 2.8ghz quad core with a 4870x2 vs. a 2.4quad and a 8700/8800M GT lol.

I'll probably see what a few friends of mine can build online and go from there. It's been a while since I've built a PC and I really don't want to lol.

Resident furfag
    BG Level

What's your budget for a PC, do you need keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, desk, chair, etc?

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

1500-2000 looking around 1700 though.

Just need the case, have monitor mouse/keyboard etc.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

I'm struggling to find the Dell listed processors on benchmark sites, do they have custom made chips or re-label originals?

Example, T5800 processor

Using this site, http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-...st.2436.0.html

Resident furfag
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Scorp View Post
    I'm struggling to find the Dell listed processors on benchmark sites, do they have custom made chips or re-label originals?

Example, T5800 processor

Using this site, http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-...st.2436.0.html
    Almost always lol.

Take the CPU speed and cache and compare it to the closet in speed, cache and process size (45 or 65nm).

Relic Shield
    BG Level

New Macbook, im looking at the 13 inch.
    http://www.apple.com/ca/macbook/

yay/nay?

Essentially im looking for a laptop that will last a few years as my 2 year old Acer recently got fried (the power cable somehow got fucked up and burned my computers inside). I've been looking at the new Macbook because of my friend experiences with theirs, and the fact that it has a good battery life, decent processor, and good graphics card. I do have some experience with a Mac, and my friend is has had a mac for a while so I can go to him with any questions.

So should I buy it?

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Macbooks are so overpriced I really don't think they're worth it. I wouldn't be caught dead with a Macbook, but some people swear by them, so they must have something going for them. The worst part about Macs, IMO, is that there is no competition for repairs, you pretty much always have to send it back to Apple for any major hardware repairs.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Looking at getting a laptop to play FF and do usual internet stuff when i'm away from home, specs as follows:

- Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 2.26GHz
    - WD Scorpio 320GB 7200RPM
    - 4GB Ram
    - Graphics: Nvidia GeForce 9300M GS 256MB
    - Windows XP Pro
    - Optical Drive: DVD Super Multi Dual Layer Drive
    - Screen: 15.4" WXGA LCD Widescreen (1280x800)
    - Bluetooth: Bluetooth 2.0 + Enhanced Data Rate
    - Wireless LAN: 802.11a, 802.11b & 802.11g
    - Ethernet LAN: 10/100/1000
    - Sound Controller: High Definition Audio
    - Speakers: Stereo
    - Expansion: 54mm ExpressCard Slot
    - Card Reader: SD Card, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro & MultiMedia Card
    - Camera: 2.0 Megapixel
    - Connections: 3x USB 2.0, 1x i.LINK (IEEE 1394), 1x eSATA, 1x HDMI, 1x VGA, 1x RJ-11, 1x RJ-45, 1x Microphone & 1x Speakers/Headphones
    - Battery: 6-Cell Lithium-Ion
    - Dimensions: 359.0mm x 268.0mm x 37.0mm
    - Warranty: 2 Years (6 months on the battery)

£689.67 which is roughly $1,174.50

Any suggestions or recommendations?

I'm from the UK so any retailers people from the UK can suggest that may have a better offer please let me know !

Resident furfag
    BG Level

Who makes it?

That as a package is a pretty average deal. If you can find one with a 9600, it's worth the extra $50-100.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Who makes it?

That as a package is a pretty average deal. If you can find one with a 9600, it's worth the extra $50-100.
    It's custom built.

Really popular retailers in the UK for overclockers aptly named www.overclockers.co.uk. I spent a lot of time on the forums checking out what components to get when I built my PC. Then just shopped around to find the best value for money.

I'll shop around see if I can find anything with better specs for a similar price.

My first foray into the laptop world, so wanted to get some idea about value for money before jumping in. Thanks mootsfox

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Don't know much about Laptops and what not, but is it possible to buy a laptop under 600$ that can play FFXI with at least medium settings? And where would I be able to get it? ^^;

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 37 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast