• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37
    Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

A little bit of a bump, but a friend of mine is looking for a new laptop. I found http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834232614 but not sure if that's decent or not. He really only internet browses and watches youtube/netflix. No gaming or anything. Price range around 650 or so. I don't know much about CPUs other than that the higher the number the better?

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

That laptop is fine, though I can't help but feel there are better deals elsewhere (I'm not familiar with US vendors/pricing)

That low grade GPU will help for the occasional casual game.
    The CPU will handle netflix/youtube fine. No need to worry if he's not going to number crunch (video conversion, etc)

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Not a bad machine honestly, could probably handle most games at medium settings as well with the dual gfx. They always say they won't game, but you know they will want to eventually, and at least this won't choke too hard.

Look around on techbargains.com or slickdeals.com for other decent deals though; I can't imagine that machine gets extremely good battery life but mid-tier-priced machines can be an odd bunch.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Apologies for the bump, but wasn't sure if I should post here or the other PC Build Advice/Review thread. Have gotten good advice here before.

Anyway, looking to replace my laptop (and eventually PC; but that's for later). For a budget $500 refurb it did a lot of things surprisingly well, but the damn thing won't die and I really should replace it.

I'd like to use it for gaming and work related tasks. The most demanding game I could think about running is the Witcher 3, most likely. Work stuff includes authoring tools (Captivate, Storyline); Adobe (Dreamweaver, Photoshop); and lots of video conferencing. Not something I will carry to work *every* day, but as I do work remotely while I travel, something that's not too huge would be nice.

Most I'd like to spend is $1500, unless an extra $100 or so gets me some decent QoL improvement (like, keyboard, display, etc.)

Here are the models I am looking at now:

Lenovo Legion Y720 - $1299 after $200 Manufacturer Rebate, through Costco

HP Omen 15.6

Not sure if anyone has other suggestions or if I'm on the money with those two.

Also, this isn't an immediate need, so if folks think I'm better off waiting until Black Friday, then as long as I have this around the end of the year I'm fine.

As always, any help appreciated!

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

This isnt the prettiest laptop, but it's pretty great for the price. Screen is really nice

http://www.microcenter.com/product/5...mputer---black

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I bought a Lenovo in April and I absolutely love it! I only spent $763.19 (I got an $80 military discount) and it seems completely worth it. I have never had a nice computer. I have always had Frankenstein-esque that use onboard graphics and such tiny hard drives that I could only get a single game at a time. I ended up with these specs:

System Common Attributes
    Processor: 7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ Processor (2.80Ghz, up to 3.80GHz with Turbo Boost, 6MB Cache)
    Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64 (MY ONLY ISSUE; I wanted PRO).
    Display Type: 15.6" FHD (1920x1080) IPS anti-glare
    Memory: 8 GB DDR4 2400MHz (BUY AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE! In order to upgrade, you have to remove the ENTIRE case and some parts inside to even access the area).
    Hard Drive: 128GB Solid State Drive PCIe + 1TB 5400 RPM (I only have Windows and DIII on the SSD).
    Optical Drive: None (I'm pretty digital with PC thanks to Steam. I figured I could always get an external, if needed).
    Warranty: 1 Year Depot or Carry-in
    AC Adapter: 135 watt AC
    Graphics: AMD Radeon RX 560 4GB (I don't care whether AMD or NVIDIA).
    Notebook Attributes
    Battery: 3 cell Li-polymer 45Wh
    Bluetooth: Bluetooth® 4.1
    Camera: 720p HD
    Keyboard: Backlit keyboard - US English
    Wireless: Lenovo AC Wireless (1x1)
    Facet Features MTMCTO
    Report Usage

The battery doesn't last incredibly long (2-3 hours) but I wanted a mobile computer (and I always have an outlet). It's super light. I think my backpack empty weighs more than the laptop. I like the Nerve Center. The built-in screen recorder (with keyboard shortcuts; it even has its own button!) is amazing (and optional capture of mic/mouse movement/status display and frames/reso/quality)! And you can force "Extreme Cooling" from the center or with keyboard shortcuts. Backlit keyboard is something I never knew I needed. The number pad is pretty small so it's awkward for things like FFXI (also, the record button replaces TAB on the right side). I used to be a huge Toshiba fanboy but they mostly sell to businesses in bulk now. I spent a LOT of time looking around and am incredibly happy with Lenovo. If I ever need another laptop (wife or kid) or decide to get a desktop, I will go with Lenovo.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Thanks guys!

@Nayaminfenrir — funny that you posted that! Shortly after that post, I looked that up a Predator Helios identical to the one you posted, but with a smaller HD ($200 cheaper too; same processor/ram/graphics card) on Amazon.

Looks like I can’t go wrong with either option. Fortunately I don’t need it *immediately* (at least until January, really) — thoughts on going at it now, or waiting till Black Friday?

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Wait. I get the IGN emails and that Lenovo I got was in there. I know they go on sale in schedules. Black Friday/Cyber Monday should be the best deals, but August-September (back-to-school) is the second best. I would keep an eye on them closely for the next few weeks. If you find a decent sale, maybe pull the trigger. If you want to save the most, wait until BF/CM.

Edit: It looks like the "gaming" laptops are 10-25% off right now from Lenovo. I looked at the reviews and the 1-2 stars look like twelve-year-olds who don't know how to computer. The only seemingly legit concern is that specific series might be a tad heavy (but get a good backpack/briefcase). I recommend skateboard backpacks that have clasps across the chest and waist so it takes the pressure off of your back. It forces the weight onto your waist/chest/top shoulder.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Thanks again! Fortunately I already have a pretty good carrying case (quite a few actually) for laptops.

I randomly came into possession of one of those atomic jolt backpacks that can also work.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Ayn View Post
    Apologies for the bump, but wasn't sure if I should post here or the other PC Build Advice/Review thread. Have gotten good advice here before.

Anyway, looking to replace my laptop (and eventually PC; but that's for later). For a budget $500 refurb it did a lot of things surprisingly well, but the damn thing won't die and I really should replace it.

I'd like to use it for gaming and work related tasks. The most demanding game I could think about running is the Witcher 3, most likely. Work stuff includes authoring tools (Captivate, Storyline); Adobe (Dreamweaver, Photoshop); and lots of video conferencing. Not something I will carry to work *every* day, but as I do work remotely while I travel, something that's not too huge would be nice.

Most I'd like to spend is $1500, unless an extra $100 or so gets me some decent QoL improvement (like, keyboard, display, etc.)

Here are the models I am looking at now:

Lenovo Legion Y720 - $1299 after $200 Manufacturer Rebate, through Costco

HP Omen 15.6

Not sure if anyone has other suggestions or if I'm on the money with those two.

Also, this isn't an immediate need, so if folks think I'm better off waiting until Black Friday, then as long as I have this around the end of the year I'm fine.

As always, any help appreciated!
    How frequently do you travel? Are you the sort of user that could benefit from just spending a lot of money to get a really nice laptop then you can invest in a high quality a docking solution (monitors hooked up to an external GPU unit that stays home) to replace your PC? Or do you travel infrequently enough that it's more reasonable to get a more modest laptop and save to also get a separate desktop?

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I’d say the latter — lately it’s been once a month. For now I think I’m good with the ‘more modest laptop and better desktop later’, but that could change.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

OH! Bump bump bump! Lenovo does not have OPTICAL DRIVES! It's not a huge issue for me since most stuff is digital. However, if you wanted to watch discs or rip discs, you will need an external optical drive.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

This Dell laptop is comparable to the Omen. Processor is worse but I doubt that it will bottleneck you. It's the exact same GPU.

I'm not savvy on laptop displays but I imagine that could be where it's worse. This is only a 60Hz panel.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dell-G5-G...ype=10&veh=aff

A desktop with similar specs would be around the same cost. You should highly consider it.

Quote Originally Posted by theshun View Post
    OH! Bump bump bump! Lenovo does not have OPTICAL DRIVES! It's not a huge issue for me since most stuff is digital. However, if you wanted to watch discs or rip discs, you will need an external optical drive.
    A lot of new laptops are ditching optical to create room or a second HDD slot. I didn't even put an optical in my last desktop tower.

That said, an external optical is pretty useful.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gredival View Post
    A lot of new laptops are ditching optical to create room or a second HDD slot. An external is pretty useful. I didn't even put an optical in my last desktop tower.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    I haven't in awhile but once I found out there was a PS3 emulator I bought a proper BR drive for ripping PS3 games. I just need to get around to moving everything to the new tower I bought two months ago.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Updated Predator Helios:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...1870_353978140

For 1200, I think I may actually go for this one. Not sure how much BF or CM would lower this price. I'm trying to figure out the catch, though, since everywhere else I see this has it around 1340-1390.

Extra 1TB HD at no cost, but eh, would just spring for SSD.