+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

So why exactly did the Avalanche sign Peter Forsberg? lol

He played like 2-3 games since returning to go out with a Groin injury.
    I know he was a great player back a few years ago and still is when he is healthy, but seriously this he needs to take some more time off and get his shit back together. The guy seems to get hurt no matter what he is doing, lol.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Re: So why exactly did the Avalanche sign Peter Forsberg? lol

Because they were hoping he'd magically re-capture his past form and carry the Avs to the Cup, before tearfully retiring for real as he goes out on top.

Seriously though, I dunno why. Q_Q Kinda shitty that this is how it went down for Forsberg and the Avs. I think he'd been working really hard to come back this season. Guess it was too soon though, he should've waited one more year. :\ But if the rumours are true about Foote, then I don't feel so bad.

(Go Flames! Q_Q-b)

Two reasons i see.

1) Fans in CO love him and remeber how great he was. They will go to the games just to try to see his glory days again.

2) He wants to end his career with them.

From the way it sounds the Avs didnt give anything up really and well they do suck this year so not like it could be a bad idea.

I'm happy the Flyers didn't get him.. just hope they can make the playoffs.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Forsberg is an idiot for signing with the Avalanche. He isn't even fully healed from his myriad of ankle injuries. The fact that the Avalanche put him on the ice almost as soon as they got him is absolutely ridiculous. He should have had at least a few days of practice to get him loosened up.

On an unrelated note, I loved the fact that the Pens pummeled New Jersey last night. Fantastic game for the Pens. Took over sole position of 1st place in their division.

It took him a week or so after being signed to even practice...
    Forsberg is beginning to gain lol status.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

You're seriously loling at Peter Forsberg? Colorado is where he should be, even if he can only play a couple lines a game, that line will produce guarenteed.

The Av's don't suck, they've been injured basically the entire season. When you're best 3-5 players are injured on a regular basis throughout the season you're not going to do as well. Considering the fact Joe Sakic, Stastny, Svatos, Smyth have been out for a good chunk of the season at the same time, and we're still in the playoffs I'd say thats pretty good.

Simply put Sakic + Forsberg + Foote = Better than your team

You can say the same about the Flyers.
    But seriously, he came back before he was fit to and yes it has been lol.
    He just came back this season for a quick buck and he should've been taking more time to recover.

House Azazael
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by BrillCS
    The fact that the Avalanche put him on the ice almost as soon as they got him is absolutely ridiculous. He should have had at least a few days of practice to get him loosened up.

He had like a week of practice they waited until he felt ready. It wasn't them saying "Get on the ice now".

i think the same thing but i also wonder why the pistons signed theo ratliff. WHY DO THEY DO THAT

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Forsberg is an idiot for signing with the Avalanche. He isn't even fully healed from his myriad of ankle injuries. The fact that the Avalanche put him on the ice almost as soon as they got him is absolutely ridiculous. He should have had at least a few days of practice to get him loosened up.

On an unrelated note, I loved the fact that the Pens pummeled New Jersey last night. Fantastic game for the Pens. Took over sole position of 1st place in their division.
    Just wish Malone or Geno would've got the hat trick.

Quote Originally Posted by AzazaelFenrir
    The fact that the Avalanche put him on the ice almost as soon as they got him is absolutely ridiculous. He should have had at least a few days of practice to get him loosened up.

He had like a week of practice they waited until he felt ready. It wasn't them saying "Get on the ice now".
    Yup, thats absolutely right. He acts like a huge fucking baby lol.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

same reason they brought in Adam Foote. try to recapture former greatness for another run. and with Detroit being Detroit, Dallas getting Richards, Anaheim coming on strong, and San Jose looking legit, who can blame the Avs for making a move? on the bleakest end of the Forsberg deal, how many players/prospects/picks did it cost them? none. besides, if you reas the notes when the signing happened, they said they didn't expect him to be playing until the end of the season/beginning of the playoffs, but they had to sign him on feb 26th because thats the trade deadline and last day of eligibility for a player to play in the postseason. even if he's not 100%, anytime Foopa is on the ice I'd be afraid, as should anyone. and going Sakic/Stastny/Forsberg down the middle for your top three lines is pretty sweet. if I were an Avs fan, I wouldn't be worried about the Forsberg signing, but where the fuck has Milan Hejduk been for the past two seasons? seems like he has really dropped off since the lockout.

but anyway, Scott Gomez, get well soon, GO RANGERS!

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I live in Pittsburgh dood. Malkin + Crosby + Hossa + Malone + Gonchar + Sykora = Better than your team. You might want to rephrase that one lol.

Forsberg is flat out just taking up a roster spot on the Avalanche right now. He can still be a great impact player, but only if he is healthy. And the only way he is going to get healthy is by taking time away from the game to heal. I mean for God's sake he hasn't played a full season in how long exactly?

Don't get me wrong, I do like the Avalanche. I remember when they still had Adam Deadmarsh(who still has one of the best last names in hockey history), But this move was born strictly out of desperation. I mean, this is the same guy who said like two months ago he would not be playing in the NHL this season because he still is having ankle problems.

While I understand your views that with a healthy Sakic, Smyth, Svatos, Hejduk, Forsberg, Stastny the Avalanche can be a legit contender. But I also look at it realistically. Forsberg is constantly hurt. Smyth is out. Svatos is out. Hejduk is a ghost of his former self. Stastny and Sakic are really the only bright spots right now and quite frankly, the only reason why they are still in the race right now.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

I live in Pittsburgh dood. Malkin + Crosby + Hossa + Malone + Gonchar + Sykora = Better than your team. You might want to rephrase that one lol.

Forsberg is flat out just taking up a roster spot on the Avalanche right now. He can still be a great impact player, but only if he is healthy. And the only way he is going to get healthy is by taking time away from the game to heal. I mean for God's sake he hasn't played a full season in how long exactly?

Don't get me wrong, I do like the Avalanche. I remember when they still had Adam Deadmarsh(who still has one of the best last names in hockey history), But this move was born strictly out of desperation. I mean, this is the same guy who said like two months ago he would not be playing in the NHL this season because he still is having ankle problems.

While I understand your views that with a healthy Sakic, Smyth, Svatos, Hejduk, Forsberg, Stastny the Avalanche can be a legit contender. But I also look at it realistically. Forsberg is constantly hurt. Smyth is out. Svatos is out. Hejduk is a ghost of his former self. Stastny and Sakic are really the only bright spots right now and quite frankly, the only reason why they are still in the race right now.

lord knows theres no way that you guys will be able to keep malkin, staal, and hossa, even with crosby taking a modest pay cut. thats gonna hurt, cause in my opinion you guys way overpaid for hossa. beyond the fact that I'm a HUGE rangers fan, I dont believe much in the pens. I dont see Ty Conklin being the backbone of a legit stanley cup run, and your D is somewhat suspect. good game against the islanders tonight too

House Azazael
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Forsberg hasn't been the same for years. The problem is Quenville is a retard for a coach and would much rather have someone like Foppa around, rather than Jones or Hlinka

Smyth is in. As I said above we have great people in the minors, but Q won't play them. Wolski has been good, but he keeps getting benched. Hlinka and Jones are doing great, but Q keeps scratching them or sending them down.

The only reason the Avs may not make the playoffs is because of the crappy coaching we have had all year long. Fire Q and let Tony G take over. I pray FG does that over the off season.

Kevin Lowe's Sock Account
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

They signed him so I could watch him warm up in the game vs the Oilers, then sit out.
    Oh well, Gagner got me 2 Goals.
    **Insert Azazael bitching me out..... here**

Sorry Az, as much as I love Smytty, I now have more Gags jerseys than Ryan Smyth ones. I always thought I'd forever hate the Oil for trading away my hero, but when they drafted Gagner I was hooked again like <3

Oh well, it's all about the East right now for me because of my Habs. Everyone laughed at me when I called a Habs/Avs finals (I've done that for years now. ) and said Montreal would finish no higher than 10th in the conference.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I'm not really that surprised that Conklin is now back to his regular form. Which sucks, but Fleury has been phenomenal since coing back. I think he's 6-1 with a ridiculous save percentage(I think it's like .939 or something around that.)

Hossa I think they overpaid for as well. Granted they gave away two marginal players in Armstrong and Christensen, but Angelo Esposito was a bit more than they should have traded away for a rental player.

The good thing is Malkin is locked up for a while and when the Pens signed Crosby he didn't absolutely rape them. He's making 8.7 million next year. Malkin on the other hand I'm sure will try to get up to the 10 million a year mark. Plus with Ryan Malone being a potential unrestricted free agent that's a lot of money they will be throwing around in the next few years.

Luckily Staal hasn't exactly had a good year this year. So that will no doubt come into play during contract negotiations. Fleury still hasn't proven himself as far as management is concerned, so I doubt that he will be able to ask for an exorbitant amount of money.

The problem is do you sign all of your superstars and take up roughly three quarters of your budget or do you let one or two walk away so you are able to devote money to the energy players like Max Talbot etc.

I have no doubt in my mind the Penguins will end up in salary cap trouble a few years down the road. Which is why I think Shero made the move for Hossa. So they can try and get that cup win early. The only teams that worry me in the playoffs are Philadelphia and Ottawa. Historically they have pummeled the Pens.

Kevin Lowe's Sock Account
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

The problem is do you sign all of your superstars and take up roughly three quarters of your budget or do you let one or two walk away so you are able to devote money to the energy players like Max Talbot etc.
    It works well to drop it all into one line, just ask Jay Feaster in Tampa Bay

Them giving up Esposito is sketchy, but he's tanked ever since being cut from World Jr Canada 3 staright years. He's got a bit of an attitude problem, so I think they'd rather wash their hands of him.
    Come on, for a guy that was a surefire top 5 pick to slip to 20th, then he WHINED and pouted about slipping so far down? I would've rejoiced like "I now get to play for one of the most exciting young teams, bitches!" and danced all the way to the podium.

Pittsburgh realized they're gonna have to go for it ASAP. If it works for them, then the price of the rental is worth it. What sucks is when it backfires and you've given up some great young talent in the process. (read: Forsberg to Nashville.)

I still think that with the pissy attitude that Esposito will be the next Jason Bonsignore.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Jason Bonsignore
    Wow. That's a name I haven't seen in forever. I commend your hockey knowledge my friend.