Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Tanking Tia     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Tanking Tia

Well I merely want anyone who has tanked this on Ninja mainly but pld's feel free to add any of your opinions. I ran across some hotshot ninja earlier who without throwing any names is one of the best NInja's on Valefor (according to the self promoter himself) in which he said that the hardest part of Tiamat is getting terrorized.

Now here's why I strongly disagreed because Nid/fluffy terrorize.... and well they aren't extremly difficult. Nidhog hits nearly as hard as tiamat does barring ,mighty strikes of course so therefore by saying that's the hardest part of tanking tia then well......that make's the hardest part of tanking those mobs terrorize as well. I disagreed because well as tanks we are only as good as our support so our co-tank should easily be able to pull it off and or your support should be able to keep you up regardless. Flash/shieldbash/stun (on tia)/cover (if a pld is in the tank party) anything and everything. I thought without full fire resist in the air it'll be tougher to tank tia also I thought not getting hit during mighty strikes is by far the more important part of that fight. One could even argue touchdown could be far more annoying than terrorize. So really i'd just like to know as a Ninja what is the toughest thing about tia? Is it really terrorize which is completely avoidable because well when a tank gets terrorized...the other takes over? Or is this a strategy that my ls's have used and it's not commonly used. Do other people duo tank like that because well I once thought it as common practice but maybe not? Or was this person completely delusional?

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Re: Tanking Tia

Tough read there but if terrorize is a large concern your second tank isn't high enough on the hate list.

Hard to say there can be anything "harder" than being unable to act for a long period of time (meaning, I agree that *is* the hardest part to overcome.)

That being said, it's also like stating Astral Flow is the hardest part of fighting Kirin, it's certainly not something impossible to overcome.

STR-1 DEX-1
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

Tiamat's terrorize always seems shorter duration to me than Fafhogg, but it's not the hardest/most annoying by any means, I'd go with Roar there. Depending on how you fight Tia though it's possible to just avoid them all together, and I'm sure someone will point out you're doing it wrong if you get hit by them.

Just linkshell preference there really though.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Terrorize isn't that bad as you're most likely to have a few shadows on you and if your tank does not get hate after those are gone, the hit you take after will and when you get terrorized, you can swap to -damage gear or fire resist gear when it flies. Touchdown could be annoying if there is a lot of lag or you start casting right before it does touchdown.

Personally, for me it's touchdown > roar > terrorize. I've been roar every single time it landed ( from drk's SE ) which was super annoying.

[quote="Raineer"]Tough read there but if terrorize is a large concern your second tank isn't high enough on the hate list.

Was it a tough read because I didn't put this in a pursuasive essay format?

I felt that terrorize is the least of your worries because well simply your co tank then takes over. I think a million other things could go wrong other than lolterrorize. By no means do I mean that terrorize is meh. It is a very frustrating thing to have cast on you but your support can make that move not hinder the fight or you at all. Just wait it out and go back to tanking/co tanking.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cyn Dane
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Touchdown can be a little dicey at times because both tanks are immediately casting shadows
    right at that moment, as well as having just taken a bit of damage. It's not terrible, nothing really is, with proper support the hardest thing about fighting Tia or Jorm is staying focused that long lol.

Who is this ninja?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyn
    Touchdown can be a little dicey at times because both tanks are immediately casting shadows
    right at that moment, as well as having just taken a bit of damage. It's not terrible, nothing really is, with proper support the hardest thing about fighting Tia or Jorm is staying focused that long lol.

Who is this ninja?
    In the essence of fairness I'm not going to be like him and name him. He was the 2nd biggest self promoter i've met on this server however which was is a cause for concern. Normally great players don't need to promote themselves people do it for them. He once said to me "Do you know who your talking too? I'm one of the best nin's on this server" which I just had to give myself a gag order after that and stop. He said a ton of garbage but mainly he tanked everything in this game on nin solo. H'e an uber elite pwonzer people....we all should know who I'm talking about it...since he's that damn good lol

bleh I hate Horrid Roar more maybe bc we melee burn. Terrorize isn't bad at all as long as you share hate pretty well with the other tank.

Quote Originally Posted by bringerofdeath
    bleh I hate Horrid Roar more maybe bc we melee burn. Terrorize isn't bad at all as long as you share hate pretty well with the other tank.

Thank you. This is exactly what I was looking for. If your ego is at the door, terrorize is 0 issue.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xeydias Stahlzahn
    FFXIV Server
    Exodus
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Who is this ninja?
    Well, it'd be wise to have someone more or less devoted to stunning Tia/Jorm on the landing so that the tanks would have time to cast shadows without maybe getting hit.

Though I'm personally not a tank, I'd have to say that Horrid Roar is the worst overall (especially for Jorm when he starts doing tp moves back to back) since if Tia does it at a bad time (like if you pull Tia off your partner so that they can get shadows up and she does it to you immediately, then starts hammering on your partner), it could spell out some major trouble.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Vlorsutes

Who is this ninja?
    Well, it'd be wise to have someone more or less devoted to stunning Tia/Jorm on the landing so that the tanks would have time to cast shadows without maybe getting hit.

Though I'm personally not a tank, I'd have to say that Horrid Roar is the worst overall (especially for Jorm when he starts doing tp moves back to back) since if Tia does it at a bad time (like if you pull Tia off your partner so that they can get shadows up and she does it to you immediately, then starts hammering on your partner), it could spell out some major trouble.
    Sometimes I would cast a spell a second before it did touchdown and then get knocked the fuck out during utsu casting cause I'm still in fire resist gear, usually after it gains the atk bonus and might strike.

Chu that's the worst..... touchdown blows...but if in the event you get hit as a nin when he mighty strikes LOL.......................

LIGHTS OUT BIOTCH

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cyn Dane
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Roar isn't that bad unless he does it back to back honestly, it knocks a chunk of enmity off, so the other tank should have 0 problem holding it while you get buffs back on. And if it spams it, it's usually a WHM or BLM that bites it first >.<

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Roar isn't that bad unless he does it back to back honestly, it knocks a chunk of enmity off, so the other tank should have 0 problem holding it while you get buffs back on. And if it spams it, it's usually a WHM or BLM that bites it first >.<
    Most tanks have a way to get spike hate back right after anyways. NIN/DRK with SE/LR and a stun. PLD has like sentinel and rampart or whatever.

STR-1 DEX-1
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

Quote Originally Posted by Tricen
    Most tanks have a way to get spike hate back right after anyways. NIN/DRK with SE/LR and a stun. PLD has like sentinel and rampart or whatever.
    It's still extra annoying, especially if it happens a couple landing in a row. I've been roared 6+ times at one Tiamat. We also melee burn unless it's low numbers.

Touchdown isn't that bad at all, after the second firaga 3 he'll land in a few seconds. Unless you have a blm army there forcing him down every flight it's pretty predictable, in which case you'll have 10 stuns, so use them.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I'd like to know where this said ninja has experienced this, and who the hell they are, seeing as how we have killed every last tiamat since October, and certainly don't use ninja's >_>.

Also, on topic, that's just a shitty situation to be in. If your co-tank is any good, they'll see this, and run to cover you until they can grab hate back off of you (if you use PLD's, or just spike it off if not[SE/LR, chainspell bind or something if you use RDM's]). If your co-tank is any good at all, you should both be around the same hate level for the majority of the fight, so this won't be so tough. If you're a career tank, you'll want to carry around an "ohshit" set that includes all of the damage reduction gear you can possibly slap on (NIN has a lot of this easily available), and vit where you can't get any of that. Other than that, let your mages know that you're terrorized and they can cure-bomb you to keep you up.

Also, slap your lazy blm's and rdm/drk's who aren't hitting stun on touchdown (especially during mighty strikes sub-25% time) in the likely event that you're casting/using an ability when it comes down. Train yourself to count down to his touchdown if you can, and don't use anything when he's about to come down.

I don't understand why anyone would have any problems with touchdown. Touchdown strips your shadows, of course, but shadows are ignored in the air, he only uses magic attacks that go through it. Your timers are definitely going to be up. When you see touchdown you just hit your Ni macro right away. I can't imagine where this would be a problem.

That all being said, I think the "hardest" part of tanking Tiamat is just Roar. Sometimes he can just be a total douchebag and use it 5+ times in a fight.

EDIT: Nidhogg does not hit nearly as hard as Tiamat does.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

If you have a co-tank and you're still holding hate the whole time you're terrorized you either hit the hate line way too hard or your partner is asleep. Any good shell has tanks that know how to walk the line where they have just enough hate, but not enough to that their partner can't bounce it back and forth. My LS pretty much uses Pld/Nin's on most things, Nin/Drk sporadically etc.

I could maybe see an issue where it could be a Nin/War and Pld/Nin co tanking and having trouble bouncing hate. But with two of the same jobs it's just a matter of hate management.

Ashira

Tia terrorizes?

/shrug, we don't deal with many of her TP moves at all... well, none really. And have had it single tanked a number of times. Not everyone's choice way to go, obviously, too many melees insist on stabbing stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Stelaereous
    I'd like to know where this said ninja has experienced this, and who the hell they are, seeing as how we have killed every last tiamat since October, and certainly don't use ninja's >_>.
    Hi Stel! I've gone NIN every time I've been to Tia (cept once I got to go SAM), actually. That's usually when it pops at bad time for us and we're low on numbers though. Anyways, he's actually referring to me, but putting a shitload of words in my mouth. I have the conversation saved because I thought how humorous it was. I'm amazed at how this guy was able to flip this over and make me look like I'm clueless.

The conversation actually started when Thagoods here stated I didn't know who I was talking to when I told him to stop sucking on BRD. He proclaimed that I was a bad PLD because I was exping (at lv73) in Haub. Then stated that he has tanked everything in the game on PLD so I should listen to him, or some crap like that. I asked him "Okay then, what's the hardest part about tanking Tiamat then?" His response was when Tiamat was in the air and Touchdown. If touchdown makes Tiamat hard for you, you're retarded. When he lands he gives you plenty of time to cast shadows. And anyone without a fire build nowadays is just stupid.

He then asked me what I thought and I said "nothing, Tiamat is a joke to tank; only concern is terror when solo tanking" and that's where this topic came from I guess.

On topic: Roar and Terror are definitely the hardest parts of Tiamat. Terror is still a joke because you just have your BLMs stun (if you're solo tanking) until it wears or, as said, you have a good co-tank. On roar as NIN it's easy to just SE/LR and get hate back.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

Titan has had the hardest time dealing with Spike Flail forever. This goes all the way back to JollyRogers wiping at 1%, flailing, then killing with SMNs.

Personally I hate wing the most, it's annoying and I don't like how much MP Viruna costs.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast