+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pikachu's Chaingrabs     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Pikachu's Chaingrabs

I don't know if anybody cares, or how many people here like using Pikachu, but I just found that Pikachu has not only one, but TWO chaingrabs that work for basically every character in the game. Dedede is known as the character with a very solid chaingrab right now, but I think people fail to notice Pikachu's chaingrabs, one of which does not move the character whatsoever.

Pikachu's chaingrabs consist of his d-throw and his f-throw. F-throw works on every character, but it varies on whether or not the person will be sent at a higher angle. For Pikachu's f-throw, he puts a character on his back, electrocutes them, and sends them a short distance forward. This allows Pikachu to easily run up and grab again without the character being able to react back, regardless of DI. However, at higher percentages it can prove to be ineffective. For example, if you begin the chaingrab at 50%, a lot of characters can escape the f-throw chaingrab. But, if characters are at a low enough percentage, Pikachu can simply f-throw them all the way across the stage until you run into the edge.

D-throw varies greatly from character to character. For Pikachu's d-throw, I did a few tests with Thulius. I d-throwed Fox to literally 100% nonstop, with him trying to reflector / DI back or whatever. You can go even higher than that if the player DIs back into Pikachu for whatever reason. Needless to say, d-throw chaingrab depends a little on whether or not the person hits the grab button again at about the exact moment that the animation for the d-throw is over. But d-throw does not work on every character; it doesn't work at all on Peach or Luigi. For big characters like Bowser, it's more effective to use the f-throw chaingrab. Wolf might be an exception to the d-throw chaingrab. I've tried it with him, and for some reason, he is able to get his reflector out sooner than Fox's, and thus can escape it at like 20-30%.

For characters that can't be d-throw chaingrabbed, they can be f-throw chaingrabbed. This applies to every character in the game. Some characters like Marth can be both f-throw chaingrabbed and d-throw chaingrabbed, it just all depends on their weight/relative size.

A lot of the chaingrab possibilities also depend on how early you begin the chaingrab. If you begin it at 0%, that is the perfect time to do so; the d-throw, for example, will have less knockback due to stale move negation, causing Pikachu to chaingrab to a high % because the d-throw reaches low power after a while.

When the d-throw chaingrab quits working, you can simply follow it up with u-airs (generally 2 can hit your opponent), or possibly a u-tilt, which is what I used to do before I even realized it could chaingrab. You could probably even do a d-smash.

Anyway, what do you guys think? Very useful stuff for one of the most annoying characters in the game. Pikachu's just insane in this game. If any of you find this information to be incorrect, feel free to prove so, but I've been messing with it for the past 2 hours, so I'm pretty sure.

Also, random fact: Falco's d-throw chaingrabs, and Wario's d-throw chaingrabs fairly well, especially for characters like Bowser where all Wario has to do is turn around and grab him again.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Thulius Deorum
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Re: Pikachu's Chaingrabs

BANNED FROM TOURNEYS

The Holy Grail of Chain Throws belongs to the Ice Climbers.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=wHfGqpHBZI4

Some others have decent chain throw options, like Wolf. Wolf's down throw is viable at low % on some characters. The throw puts them on the ground, standing at low %, in front of Wolf.

Snake's down throw can be chain-grabbed, just have to have quick reactions and good read of what your opponent will do to escape it.

preachy and pretentious
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

wavedashing says hi to it's replacement.

23 years old
    Rating: total douchebag

BG Level

Wobbling (which isn't the case here) and chaingrabs existed for ice climbers in melee too, it's impossible to make a character that is essentially 2 and not have some team up tactics form because of it, which is in no way the same as wave dashing or for a more recent relevant tactic, mortar sliding.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Havocxx
    The Holy Grail of Chain Throws belongs to the Ice Climbers.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=wHfGqpHBZI4

Some others have decent chain throw options, like Wolf. Wolf's down throw is viable at low % on some characters. The throw puts them on the ground, standing at low %, in front of Wolf.

Snake's down throw can be chain-grabbed, just have to have quick reactions and good read of what your opponent will do to escape it.
    I don't count Snake's chaingrab because there's way too many variables. There's 3 different things your opponent can do. He can either stay in one place and do a recovery attack, roll to the left, or roll to the right. Now obviously if you notice a pattern in your opponent you can follow it up with a f-smash in the other direction or run up and d-throw again, but it's absolutely not the same as some of the other chaingrabs other characters have.

Also, I made 2 0-death videos last night with Pikachu and Wario. It's pretty sick and they both do all of the damage with just their d-throw. Pikachu vs. Fox, d-throw until 100%, then follow it up with a u-smash when the chaingrab is about to break. Wario has an infinite chaingrab on Bowser, so at about 100% I just f-smashed him to the side and killed him.

preachy and pretentious
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Ryko
    Wobbling (which isn't the case here) and chaingrabs existed for ice climbers in melee too, it's impossible to make a character that is essentially 2 and not have some team up tactics form because of it, which is in no way the same as wave dashing or for a more recent relevant tactic, mortar sliding.
    It is not the fact that just ice climbers can do it. Quite a few characters can pull it off, without having a twin. It's quite easy in comparison in this game.

23 years old

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryko
    It is not the fact that just ice climbers can do it. Quite a few characters can pull it off, without having a twin. It's quite easy in comparison in this game.
    Only IC's are unavoidable, the rest are dependent on % and character weight and even the most blatant and overpowered one (dedede's) is escapable.

Banned.

BG Level

King Dedede has an infinite grab that can go 0% to 999% on some characters.

23 years old

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by BRP
    King Dedede has an infinite grab that can go 0% to 999% on some characters.
    I know about the chain grab, I've used and abused it myself more than a couple of times. It's not infinite by design, you can roll/spot dodge upon touching the ground (not counting the half dozen or more characters that it just flat out doesnt work on, including but not limited to fox, falco, pikachu, olimar, sheik, zelda, and zero suit samus) so the only part of it that's infinite is if you're predictable and/or don't roll at all. The guy I ended up losing to at the best buy tourney was a dedede player and after I rolled out of it twice he was stuck to playing keepaway for the rest of the match.

Banned.

BG Level

We are talking about different things. Dedede can stand in one place and hit grab one some characters without moving. It prevents them from any kind of escape. Characters that can be locked into this infinite is Mario, Samus, DK, and Luigi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23UyrHXK36A

The guy in the video admits being pretty bad at it, but it's not hard to get the hang of it within an hour.