Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
    Every day I'm wafflin'
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Changes to Big Bomb and the surrounding mobs?

I went back to farm Bomblet today for the first time since the version update, and found the Friar's Lanterns to be behaving rather strangely. Sometimes they would bulk up to full size early in the fight whereas previously I've never known them to grow unless my THF partner uses a WS. They would sometimes (I'd say about 30% of the time) grow to full size in response to normal melee'ing, however none of them used Self-Destruct once they reached this point.

Then something else strange happened - the Tough Lantern closest to Big Bomb's ??? spawn (that doesn't drop the pop item) actually did decide to Self-Destruct on us, without a single increase in size beforehand. Killed my THF partner and nearly killed me as well. Also we found Big Bomb itself to be a lot more difficult than usual.

Has anyone else encountered any odd post-update behaviour in these mobs?

Re: Changes to Big Bomb and the surrounding mobs?

I went there a few days ago and they never grew (was duoing with a THF on RDM) unless he WS'd. About the lantern near the ???, that didn't grow for us either, and only used berserk and SD. Can't say anything about BB, went like 0/40 on pop items with TH4 that run

In that area there are about 3-4 T/EM bombs that do not grow, but often do self-destruct (don't drop pop item though). The only TP attacks they have are Berserk and Self-Destruct, like most other bombs do. As such, they do self-destruct often and when they do it hurts a lot. One of them pops on the same side as the Big Bomb ???, this is perfectly normal.

As far as the lanterns growing out of turn, I'm not sure. I go there as MNK most of the time and my critical punches alone will cause them to grow, so if you're going there with a hard-hitting DD or maybe a BRD+DD then their melee attacks could be the reason. Either way I wouldn't be able to notice a difference since I WS at TP on MNK+THF, and punches alone make it grow anyway.

I spent a good few hours there last week and didn't notice anything different from normal though.

Every day I'm wafflin'
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

RDM + Taru THF who has never before caused a Lantern to grow in size through normal melee hits alone, which is why I found it odd since it happened a number of times today.

Ah, yeah that's really odd.

It's possible they may have lowered the max damage needed to cause it to grow, as a slight counter-RMT measure. Although if they do that for anything it would be most effectively done to Big Bomb. However as of last week, it seemed perfectly normal. I'm not sure if it changed between now and then though? Has it?

Quite honestly, I kind of wish they did! A growing Big Bomb would drive out most RMT right on the spot, hell they wipe to the small sized Big Bomb often enough with like 4-6 people.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

I have been farming Big Bomb off and on and have noticed no changed to BB, the PHs, or the non-dropping Lantern by the ??? after the update. All the behavior you described sounds normal to me, the non-dropping lantern using an early SD with high HP is always a potential killer and always has been.

I have witnesses the taru rmt army mana burning BB down in about 45 seconds though and flood the entire market with bomblets

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xerlic Jilrak
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Ichthyos and I started to farm Big Bomb recently and we noticed that if he happens to do a large amount of damage of regular melee in 1 round, the bomb will grow. Example: Triple attack and all hits critical. Maybe that's what happened to you?

Every day I'm wafflin'
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I completely understand how it works, as I've already stated the issue is that, prior to this particular farming session, the THF I duo with has never once managed to make the Bombs grow in size without using a WS. He didn't use SA or TA, they just went from small to medium to large in the course of about five seconds whilst he wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary. Personally I think that, as Ruke suggested, they lowered the damage required in a single round to make the Bombs grow in size.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

No point in making another thread so I'll ask here: How the hell do you get the bombs in mythril mouth's room and the two in I-9? There are just so many true sight trolls there that its impossible to get by them and pull the bombs. We're restricted to just the two on the bridge on the moment. Any advice?

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Don't know how to get to the two at I-9 but the two in Mythril Mouths room are easy... Invis up and run past the two non flask dropping lanterns... Kill the PUP troll and his auto. Then use a ranged weapon to pull the two lanterns on the other side of the little bridge. The NM does not agro, nor do his helper trolls.

Basically as he said.

Mythril mouth and his friends do not agro at all. If you're careful, you can usually pull the two bombs without agro'ing the PUP troll in the way. The PUP troll should always be the only one you worry about though, the trolls on the other side never really path close enough to the bridge to prevent you from getting a ranged attack off/spell on or near the bombs.

Personally, I usually kill the 2 bombs at the ramp > pull/kill both bombs near mythril mouth > kill automaton + troll. Sometimes avoiding PUP agro can be difficult if you're unlucky, so it's just easier to have him out of the way. But, you can definitely get by without killing him.

Lately we've also been clearing to the additional 2 bombs at the pool towards a gate. It's great exp, and works out pretty well!

Every day I'm wafflin'
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Bumped just to add something else that's come to light - my friend, who has farmed Big Bomb a lot more than me, recently had a 0/12 unlucky streak on Bomblet post-update. At first he chalked it up to really bad luck (he's never gone that long without a drop before), until someone else he knows that farms it regularly sent him a tell asking if he'd experienced an abysmal drop rate on the Bomblet lately.

I suppose it could just be an unlucky coincidence, but it certainly seems like they ninja'd the drop rate. Gonna go back with my friend soon to see if this "unlucky streak" continues.

I recall going 0/16 once, and then getting like 5 in a row... And this was a while ago.

I even remember hearing people go 0/21+ back when it was first introduced, albeit this was without TH (iirc?). I wouldn't completely chalk it up as being bad luck just because this is SE and they love to ninja fix crap, but it's not too abnormal to go on streaks like that.

Funny enough, I'm like 0/6 as of recent.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by RKenshin
    I recall going 0/16 once, and then getting like 5 in a row... And this was a while ago.

I even remember hearing people go 0/21+ back when it was first introduced, albeit this was without TH (iirc?). I wouldn't completely chalk it up as being bad luck just because this is SE and they love to ninja fix crap, but it's not too abnormal to go on streaks like that.

Funny enough, I'm like 0/6 as of recent.
    Gimp couldn't sell me one when I wanted to buy one!